Blizzard's Treatment of EU

General
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
Thats not exactly the point though Aerythlea, its the lack of communication with EU, the poor treatment.

We had draenor EU go down 3 times last week in the middle of raid hours. Nothing even got mentioned about it, nothing was said, no apology was given, not even on the customer support page on twitter. its outright disgusting.
I'm glad that we're relegated to an afterthought. It really goes to show just how little the company values the European community.
As much as i dislike talking to most americans. Why the hell do you not just merge your stupid forums already, or at the very least allow EU to post in US.
09/08/2017 16:28Posted by Aerandal
I'm glad that we're relegated to an afterthought. It really goes to show just how little the company values the European community.

Like any company anywhere in the world it's probably all about money - I'm sure this comes down to the fact that EU probably doesn't make nearly as much revenue as NA and Asia for WoW...
09/08/2017 16:16Posted by Aerythlea
There are still limits, of course; we don't want playing on an RP realm to mean you can't properly experience core game content due to low FPS or heavy input lag. As such, all Legion zones (including all of the Broken Isles, the Broken Isles version of Dalaran, and soon, Argus) will still have sharding active
Sigh, can you not at least remove the dalaran sharding?

It's annoying to have to make groups in order to see your own guildies / friends etc.. especially if you're in a queue for something.
Talk about that blue evading the main point.
Well main problem is that there are numerous topics in eu forums that despite they having plenty attention from players...

Blue poster doesn^t show interest at all..and hardly you see any blue poster....writing anything..
While reading aswell the us forums ...even a problem with a grey pet...has response from blues..

Eu forum in the last months and even more has become a forum that goes like...
Players for players..
I do appreciate the response to the thread. But that's not enough, it's a copy+paste of something that should have been a Blue post on the EU forums within the same hour. The little bit added on is great if you're a roleplayer(which in itself is redundant as the Sharding will no longer be an issue), but it doesn't really resolve the issue which is the EU's problems being ignored, as is evidenced here. You've not read what the thread is about and that's just strange to me.

If you're still paying attention to the thread, Aerythlea, please read what people are talking about and have someone address this issue.
To echo the information we received during with during our out of office hours, which Ornyx already posted:

Over the last couple of years, we've begun using some new technology we've occasionally referred to as "sharding" in non-instanced zones, which separates players in high-traffic areas out into separate "shards" of a particular zone. The benefit to our server performance has been massive - it was a huge part of why Legion's launch went so smoothly - and so, as a whole, we've been very happy with the system.

Sorry, did you just copy/paste a response from a Dev post on US forums in response to a complaint that Devs never respond to posts on EU forums? Did someone dare you for a laugh?
09/08/2017 16:36Posted by Daecimus
Talk about that blue evading the main point.

Happens all the time tbh, our blues are borderline useless, sadly.

And I'm not saying that to sound like a douche or anything, it's the truth. The main offices are located in the US so blues like Orynx post more substantial information where as Aerythlea can only copy paste.
09/08/2017 16:16Posted by Aerythlea
To echo the information we received during with during our out of office hours, which Ornyx already posted:

Over the last couple of years, we've begun using some new technology we've occasionally referred to as "sharding" in non-instanced zones, which separates players in high-traffic areas out into separate "shards" of a particular zone. The benefit to our server performance has been massive - it was a huge part of why Legion's launch went so smoothly - and so, as a whole, we've been very happy with the system.

The one exception has been on RP realms, where player-run events are much more common. On RP realms, we believe that the overall loss to game performance is worth it in order to support those events. If players on RP realms choose to organize an event and congregate somewhere, and have a laggy experience as a result, that's their choice, and we'd like to allow them as much freedom to do so as possible.

So, we've recently applied a hotfix that should disable realm sharding in the vast majority of the outdoor world on RP realms. That includes Kalimdor, the Eastern Kingdoms, Northrend, Pandaria, Outland, Draenor, and all related sub-zones. This has actually been our intention for some time now, but as part of investigating some reports involving a player-run event in Northrend, we discovered some secondary issues that were causing it not to function properly.

There are still limits, of course; we don't want playing on an RP realm to mean you can't properly experience core game content due to low FPS or heavy input lag. As such, all Legion zones (including all of the Broken Isles, the Broken Isles version of Dalaran, and soon, Argus) will still have sharding active, as they do on non-RP realms. Similarly, when the game itself points players toward a specific area of the non-Legion world (such as for a holiday event or new patch content), we may temporarily re-enable sharding in that area until things settle down.

In general, however, our goal is to follow the general rule of thumb that RP realms do not shard, except in current-expansion zones, or when temporarily necessary to support gameplay. This should now be the case on all RP and RP-PvP realms worldwide. This is in addition to our existing rule that RP realms do not automatically fill areas using our Cross-Realm Zones system (although you can still enter an RP realm using CRZ if you're grouped with a player on an RP realm).

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry that your event on Argent Dawn was overlooked. In the future, if you are hosting a very large roleplaying event that is being impacted by sharding (which, given the above changes, shouldn't happen very often anymore) I'd encourage you to bring it to the Community Team's attention by dropping an e-mail to CMTeamEU-WoW@blizzard.com with the details of the event.

this does not seem to address the overall concern of lack of communication on the eu forums
In regards to the EU forums being ignored, I can accept that there's room for improvement but at the same time I think we have also come a long way over the past year or so.

In most cases Lore and Kaivax now mirror information onto the EU forum as soon as it gets posted on the NA forums rather than there being a delay of several hours. Yes, sometimes things fall the cracks or get missed and ideally we want to avoid this.

More recently (since Legion), the EU forums have had developers contributing in the Class Development forum and Watcher (Ion) has also posted several times on the EU forums in topics that were of interest to EU players but not necessarily to NA players.

When it comes to feedback, it isn't considered in a vacuum. We compile feedback from all the game regions (both EU and NA as well as ANZ, China etc.), this includes what players are saying on social media, fan sites, other forums, YouTube videos etc. We will drill down deeper if one region is resonating with something far more than others, to understand why that is the case and what (if any) action is appropriate.

There is also a 9 hour time difference between France (where the EU Community team is based) and California (where the developers are based). When we are in the office, the majority of the staff across the ocean are asleep or going to sleep. This means we don't have immediate access to get answers or information, so we send any requests or relevant details via email. More often than not, the feedback being raised by the EU player-base isn't that dissimilar to what is being raised by the NA player-base, so such matters become topics of discussion during office hours in California, this is often why information comes out during that time rather than during EU hours. Though there have been cases where information has been posted first on EU, which has lead to similar complaints from NA players about being ignored.

The information that we receive and post, in most cases, is a direct result of feedback relaying on a global level, not because one forum is preferred more than the other.

At the end of the day, our priority is to get any information we receive out into the community, it's not really a considered a problem whether that happens to be on the NA forum first, the EU forum first, or another platform entirely if it's more appropriate for the audience in question.

09/08/2017 17:19Posted by Thete
Sorry, did you just copy/paste a response from a Dev post on US forums in response to a complaint that Devs never respond to posts on EU forums? Did someone dare you for a laugh?

Yes I did, because it was information we received during the night that we were asked to share globally. Considering part of this thread was about the RP event in Europe that got missed I felt like it was the best place to put that information as it pertained specifically to the sharding topic. That being said, Community Managers aren't Developers.
Taking into account the time differences and how large the EU team is considered to the NA forums, wouldn't it be better to have the two merged? If both teams are not working on similar clocks so there is some form of crossover for threads to be responded to, changes to be clarified and so on, that once again leaves the EU forums in the dark. It may have improved, it may not have, but it's still not there. All of the playerbase is spread so far out that people won't know until something is happening until it has happened.

Why would it take nine hours for someone who has the duty to post information on the forums to simply switch EU/NA and post it there too. It seems like there are a myriad of walls simply because the devs can't be bothered to remove the foundation that existed ten years ago, even if they have the better tools.

I'm not saying it's easy or that it'd even be quick, but surely it has to be easier to communicate things that are actually decided on.
Merging forums would solve most of the issues you mention Aerythlea. I'm curious why this wasn't already done. With most if not all social media platforms being worldwide already, it feels like they are overtaking the forums yet those same forums still remain the first medium that players will go to for information.
Trolls all over the world, unite!

Sorry, gotta feed my own troll from time to time. :)
09/08/2017 17:39Posted by Aerythlea
Yes I did, because it was information we received during the night that we were asked to share globally. Considering part of this thread was about the RP event in Europe that got missed I felt like it was the best place to put that information as it pertained specifically to the sharding topic. That being said, Community Managers aren't Developers.

Copypasting stuff from the US forums is literally worthless, since we have already seen it on multiple places, including the US forums.

Internet is a global place. Funny how that works.
At the very least we got an official comment on the matter. I would also like to see the forums merged. I can post on the US HotS and HS forums just fine. I see few to no non-english posts here anyway.
09/08/2017 17:39Posted by Aerythlea
In regards to the EU forums being ignored, I can accept that there's room for improvement but at the same time I think we have also come a long way over the past year or so.

Really? It sure doesnt feel like it. US posts get relatively fast answers, while EU doesnt. It has been like this since forever, and it really only got "slightly" better. There are a ton of posts that might need some addressing and it doesnt happen, which makes people feel like they are being ignored. Feedback posts are ONE of those things, that imo, require WAY MORE attention, even from devs themselves when it comes to balancing, instead they only ever respond to the US Feedback posts most of the time, which just feels bad as a EU player. We dont even get MIRRORED posts most of the time, and while Ion HAS responded once or twice to important things on EU forums, it still mostly feels like "well, US gives more information, so we just dont care about EU", even if it probably isnt true at all and you guys want to be more vocal to all of your communities.

Most of the time, if there is any new stuff concerning feedback, I either have to go to the US forums or on a CLASS DISCORD SERVER. This needs to get better, not just for class feedback, but for FEEDBACK in general; Quicker responses, also NOT just mirrored posts. This is something that you guys seem to neglect heavily, while we are all ONE huge community, we still have seperate stuff that we might have feedback for. Im not saying it is always GOOD feedback, but if there are concerns that are different from US for EU (or the other way around) you cant just mirror a post completely imo, even if there are 2 different posts of the same topic. It makes you look like "I have no clue what I should answer what hasnt been answered already, so I just mirror this post". Even in some of those threads, there are sometimes different concerns from different people, which mostly never get addressed or only slightly addressed.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.
Even more ERP in Goldshire, thats exactly what we needed Onyx, thanks.