RP Pet Peeves Numero Nine

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 16 17 18 26 Next
14/08/2017 18:12Posted by Levey
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Precisely. This is a construct of Japan. And the reasoning for this is simply due to how their sound works.

Is it? Now I'm curious.

Stammering (Or stumbling as they call it) is generally rendered by repetition of the first syllable, which alone tend to have some level of meaning per symbol.
Ignore the ^'s. The censors are awful.
Regular speech: どうしたの?
"What is wrong?"
Pronounced "Dōshi^ta no?"

Stuttering: ど、ど、ど、どうしたの?
"What, what, what, what is wrong?"
Pronounced: "Do, do, do,-dōshi^ta no?"
This takes a lot longer to say, and stresses the phrase a bit more than "W-W-W-What is wrong?" Simply due to the length of the various latin sounds.

It's simply an issue of the lack of granularity the language has... Not necessarily a problem, but "repeat the first sound" doesn't translate into english very well.
http://imgur.com/a/SfENg
14/08/2017 18:43Posted by Israhaa
http://i.imgur.com/nPC7Woy.jpg

Oke fine, thats like dressing up your local farmers cow anyway.

They don't deserve that tabard, but still.

14/08/2017 19:05Posted by Elenthas
http://imgur.com/a/SfENg

Like I said, Humans, High/Blood Elves and Dwarves are cool, they all originate from the Church. I can forgive the Blood Elves their mishap called Blood Knights.
14/08/2017 20:15Posted by Veshj
I can forgive the Blood Elves their mishap called Blood Knights.

well, you're not getting a christmas card this year
14/08/2017 19:01Posted by Zatlenn

This takes a lot longer to say, and stresses the phrase a bit more than "W-W-W-What is wrong?" Simply due to the length of the various latin sounds.

So it's basically a translation error? Fascinating. And somehow we end up with people mimicing this to be "cute".
I mean that's a cute theory, but I'd like to see that backed up, because movies like Waterboy portrayed stuttering like that and I find it hard to believe that anime culture infiltrated Hollywood in '98.
14/08/2017 22:03Posted by Levey
14/08/2017 19:01Posted by Zatlenn

So it's basically a translation error? Fascinating. And somehow we end up with people mimicing this to be "cute".

Strangely enough, I know people IRL who actually do stutter this way.
I do have a few chars who stutter and it is based of way how my one friend (used to, not as much anymore) stutter.
His stuttering really was "J-Já j-j-jsem umm J-J-Josef-f..."
"I-I a-a-am umm J-J-Josef-f..." that was his legit way of stuttering up until we were like 14, then he got better.
I knew a guy in high school who stuttered. It's not cute.
I guess this is because the guard player doesn't want to fall out as "That guy" who goes around arresting people. People tend to hate those people, but it's still bizarre to see a guard essentially giving someone a slap on the wrist for attacking people.

Not that said guy would get anywhere without a salvo of pseudo-ic thinly veiled passive aggression about nonsense about "human rights" and how guards can't arrest people.

The onus for reform is in the Criminal RP sector, not the guards, despite their zanery and "mumbles into buzzboxes".

14/08/2017 22:21Posted by Agminalis

As someone -with- a stutter I am easily annoyed by how people portray it.
When a fellow draenei RPer has the following in her TRP3. "With a planetary bosom and wide hips and rear to boot, she has quite a voluptous figure"

Then there's the references to motherly appeal and such, ERP-bait character much?
14/08/2017 22:48Posted by Israhaa
When a fellow draenei RPer has the following in her TRP3. "With a planetary bosom and wide hips and rear to boot, she has quite a voluptous figure"

Then there's the references to motherly appeal and such, ERP-bait character much?

I believe I saw this person literally ten minutes ago as well.
14/08/2017 23:10Posted by Korgrum

I believe I saw this person literally ten minutes ago as well.

Apparently member of an all female guild..
14/08/2017 22:22Posted by Korgrum

14/08/2017 22:21Posted by Agminalis

As someone -with- a stutter I am easily annoyed by how people portray it.

I quite agree. I've stuttered maybe 2/3 times in my life, But i've known people with a stutter, and it's not jsut random sounds at the beginning of words, it's a specific sound patter that catches them, and as such is more defined.
Pet peeve: When people thoroughly descripe their appearence out of the blue.

*As she swings her sword towards her opponent in attempt to crippe it you'd notice her large orbs wiggling while she sweats -*

like ?????????
Thing about my stuttering comment

I'm almost explicitly talking about when it appears at the beginning of sentences, IN TEXT. I'm talking about how it's notated, not how it actually sounds.

Either way, that's how they notate stammering (A completely different thing), it sounds kinda like stuttering. But it's really not.

Ah, I rp'd with her. She's all happy and bubbly, and already taken it seems. For good or for worse?
Kalimdor rpers that make a DH alt and expect to be treated the same way they are on their main.

My character not only dislikes DHs, but is pretty frightened by them. Don't expect gifts, or a nice convo. Expect her to be edging the hell away from you, lol.
Voice: Insert actor or character

Or you could say
Voice: SOUNDS LIKE A !@#$ING NIGHT ELF NOT SEAN BEAN
"I have Dyslexia"

No offense if you have it, but writing that into your trp, gives many people a sign that they shouldn't bother actually rping with you.
Just rp with them, and let them find out that you are actually a pretty cool guy/gal.
15/08/2017 01:50Posted by Thaelyr
gives many people a sign that they shouldn't bother actually rping with you.

It does?