Realm merge? Free character migration?

General
Hi! I don't play much anymore so i'm not so aware, but what happened to realm merges and fcm? I was looking at my old characters (azuremyst/stormrage) and seen that the inactivity in-game and on the forums is kind of embarrassing. Its a server in which I have a lot of nostalgia, but its unplayable when theres huge faction imbalance, along with extremely low player amount at peak times.

The amount of realms should be halved at this stage, so many of them are at low/med population (and the medium is on the low side) - i'm not saying every server should be full, but the state it is now where some servers are hugely populated and others are completely dead with people forced to get realm & faction changes for crazy prices just to be able to see other players in an mmo is just sad.

Shouldn't this be addressed or the system overhauled? When I look at some other games the devs really prioritise this as a major issue, but I kind of feel like the WoW community has accepted it at this point. Which is sad =(

I think if this was introduced along with restructured social/guild system and finder for the next expansion it would probably be more interesting than a lot of the features they try to introduce
Game Director, Ion Hazzikostas, actually answered a couple of questions related to both of these topics at gamescom this week. :)

In regards to realm connections:

Yes, this is something we want to do and we are actively working toward rolling out new realm connections.

The last time we made realm connections was just before the launch of Warlords of Draenor. Since that time, there have been a lot of changes to our infrastructure on the server-side, which means the process we used to connect realms (before WoD) no longer works.

We're having to work through some issues to be able to make new connections, but we hope to have some more details for you soon.

In regards to the social systems:

We're looking at improving some of the guild systems in the future. No specific details to share at this point in time.
25/08/2017 15:53Posted by Aerythlea
Yes, this is something we want to do and we are actively working toward rolling out new realm connections.

Well can you hurry up and do it then?
Some servers desperately need more connections
25/08/2017 17:21Posted by Tanvar

We're having to work through some issues to be able to make new connections, but we hope to have some more details for you soon.

There is your'e answer but i suspect you being a pro coder and pro programer could do it in minutes ........../sarcasm

"edit" a AD player being bossy about server merger's :thinking:

Blue cant help you here dude, its the game developers job now.
Game Director, Ion Hazzikostas, actually answered a couple of questions related to both of these topics at gamescom this week. :)

In regards to realm connections:

The last time we made realm connections was just before the launch of Warlords of Draenor. Since that time, there have been a lot of changes to our infrastructure on the server-side, which means the process we used to connect realms (before WoD) no longer works.

In regards to the social systems:

We're looking at improving some of the guild systems in the future. No specific details to share at this point in time.

Good the hear that. Really hope they can make this happen soon.
There is your'e answer but i suspect you being a pro coder and pro programer could do it in minutes ........../sarcasm

What has my realm gotta do with anything?
25/08/2017 17:30Posted by Crashandburn

Like this one? :
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/7315729/appear-offline-option-coming-soon-to-battle-net
25/08/2017 17:31Posted by Shumensko
25/08/2017 17:30Posted by Crashandburn

Like this one? :
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/7315729/appear-offline-option-coming-soon-to-battle-net

So many years.... anyway, i guess having more than half the server on low pop, takes precedence over being able to hide ingame. Still, over 6 years its mind blowing...
25/08/2017 17:40Posted by Crashandburn
25/08/2017 17:31Posted by Shumensko

Like this one? :

So many years.... anyway, i guess having more than half the server on low pop, takes precedence over being able to hide ingame. Still, over 6 years its mind blowing...

Half the realms on low pop have been merged anways so you are see'ing a false list.
Plus with how they expanded servers pre legion it means many Full realms dropped to medium and medium to low and low just stayed low or "new players"

There is no need to have say like Doomhammer or Turalyon in the list as we are already combined.
25/08/2017 17:45Posted by Kalila
25/08/2017 17:40Posted by Crashandburn

Half the realms on low pop have been merged anways so you are see'ing a false list.
Plus with how they expanded servers pre legion it means many Full realms dropped to medium and medium to low and low just stayed low or "new players"

There is no need to have say like Doomhammer or Turalyon in the list as we are already combined.

My old server (azuremyst) + stormrage are both merged and low pop, in-game its as though no merge took place because its as dead as its ever been. I imagine its probably a similar story for a lot of the merges. Plus it didnt help that an already alliance dominated server was mixed with another server with faction imbalance

"We want to do" doesn't mean its going to happen. Its lawyer language to make people believe that they are doing something without making any actual promises.

He said the same about fixing leveling, about pristine realms, about pretty much every question that Ion was asked over the years.

I do hope it will happen though. Some realms desperately need it.

Many people have characters on more than one realm. I have plenty of characters on currently dead realms.
I think after a year, it's allowed to ask if there are any updates on the server merge topic.
31/05/2018 20:24Posted by Mîssissippi
I think after a year, it's allowed to ask if there are any updates on the server merge topic.

Really? A y/o necro?
31/05/2018 20:34Posted by Emowitch
31/05/2018 20:24Posted by Mîssissippi

Really? A y/o necro?

Someone is going to a lot of trouble necroing old threads lately. All of them have 1 or 2 posts on the account. Been happening for a while now.
Nevertheless, its a good question.

Since August until now we got no news regarding this issue.

Personally, i really hope for new realm connections soon, since they are already very very late.
Ion and his promises are as reliable as a politician's promise. And because the guy used to be a lawyer you know he's...erm...honest
It is a good question, and I think this was a good necro.
Ion promised us feedback soon (TM).
That was 9 months ago, and we're still waiting in the dark...
I bet it's just going to be locked and not addressed even though I wouldn't call it a necro.
More like: update? Since the situation hasn't changed nor is the information out of date.

It be nice when a blue visited:
- They could ask for information in the US about this and what the plans are.

- Confirm or deny this rumour of this wondrous Brazilian server whom are supposedly testing new tech (it constantly gets parroted on the forum but no one can give an official source).

- And while they are at it: tell the marketing team the price of transfers and them being character based instead of server based is beyond sensible.
@Shopkeeper: Unfortunately, it appears that the information is not available. I have still not been able to confirm or deny that Brazil test, either. :(