Follower upgrades

General
Am I being stupid or missing something? I have purchased champion equipment for my followers from the armaments dude in my class hall 10 times now. Every time I get equipment that boosts mission success/time whatever. However I can't equip my followers with these until I upgrade their item level. How do I get the actually item upgrades for my followers?
You can buy Relinquished Armor Sets from Warmage Kath'leen on the Broken Shore for 400 Nethershards. These will instantly set a champion to item level 880. You might also find armor kits from treasure chests, rare elites and champion missions on Argus that will set a champion to item level 900.
I think you first need to level them up to 110. I tried to apply a 900 ilvl token to my last inactive follower, and was not allowed to use it till i leveled it to 110 (was inactive on 109).
08/09/2017 13:55Posted by Tsjoh
I think you first need to level them up to 110. I tried to apply a 900 ilvl token to my last inactive follower, and was not allowed to use it till i leveled it to 110 (was inactive on 109).

Yep, that's true, my bad for not mentioning it! You can also buy experience books for Nethershards too. Or use the champion as a combat ally (if possible) so that they get XP each time you complete a World Quest.
08/09/2017 13:49Posted by Aerythlea
You can buy Relinquished Armor Sets from Warmage Kath'leen on the Broken Shore for 400 Nethershards. These will instantly set a champion to item level 880. You might also find armor kits from treasure chests, rare elites and champion missions on Argus that will set a champion to item level 900.

Their item level is basically irrellevant to this question. Item level affects the rewards you get from missions.

OP is asking about equipping follower items like say the pathfinders saddle or lucky doodad. So to answer him:

When you acquire a follower they are 'white' quality and their equipment slots are locked. As you upgrade them to higher quality levels their slots unlock until you have 3 slots at legendary.
You upgrade them by giving them xp which can be done in the following ways:
- assign them as your combat ally as you do quests (including dailies) around the broken isles
- send them on mission from your mission table
- use XP granting items which can be purchased for nethershards on the broken shore.

Aerythlea's answer relates to the item level, not the experience level.
I guess follower ilvl cap is 900 right now? Tokens that increase the follower ilvl above 900 will drop once the new raid is unlocked?
08/09/2017 14:34Posted by Adlian
I guess follower ilvl cap is 900 right now? Tokens that increase the follower ilvl above 900 will drop once the new raid is unlocked?

I hope not. Gets annoying, particularly for classes which can't place orders for equipment.
08/09/2017 13:49Posted by Aerythlea

I did not know this! Now I have use for my shards!
I have a bit of an issue with this one, all my followers (including inactive) are ilevel 900 now except one, who is ilevel 895. I have the armaments perk in my class hall but for over a week now I have not had an item to increase ilevel and I no longer seem to get drops/chests etc for the 900 set.

Have the +5/10/15 items been removed from armaments loot table? To stop us stock piling in preparation for a follower ilevel cap of 935/950? Would be grateful to find out as at the moment he is an active follower (trying to get his xp to full status) and if so I will deactivate and work on an inactive character instead.
08/09/2017 15:27Posted by Mornoir
Have the +5/10/15 items been removed from armaments loot table? To stop us stock piling in preparation for a follower ilevel cap of 935/950?

No. They don't work past 900 anyway. The game is just being stupid. You can bonk it a bit by shuffling your followers around (activate/deactivate). Sometimes that coaxes it into giving you missions for them again.

08/09/2017 14:34Posted by Adlian
Tokens that increase the follower ilvl above 900 will drop once the new raid is unlocked?

As far as I understand, after we do next week's campaign quests we'll be able to do missions for 925 tokens. I'm unsure what it will take for 950 tokens, but there is a quest to get 6x925 so perhaps it happens after that, or perhaps it takes some post-campaign quests.
Thanks for clearing that up folks appreciate the feedback, makes more sense now.