Basic info&guide about battle pets

Pet Battles
Hello,

Im new to the battle pet function in wow. I dont know anything at all about battle pets and how it works..

Could someone tell me what its for? Maybe a list on the benefit of starting battle pets, and a list on what is good to know about it. Or anything :).

Thanks, regards
Welcome to the asylum!

Pet battles is a separate minigame within WoW. Collect pets in the world, and in older raids, and battle them against each other, use them to win battles, get more experience for them, level them up from 1 to 25.

You might like pet battles as a reason to get out in the world, in old zones. You might enjoy the puzzle/challenges of battling itself. You can get modest but real amounts of character XP and gold as well.

https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/

is a guide. That site is Pet Central, so read around for lots of context and opinions.

Go to Audrey Burnhep in Stormwind Lake to learn the pet battling skill. Then you can start battling. Every race gets a starting pet, you can buy from Audrey. Worgen get the Gilnean raven, which is one of the better pets for battling, so don't miss that!

You will be given a quest to battle another "trainer", and you will follow the quest chain through Eastern Kingdoms, Outland, Northrend, and so on.

Along the way, as well as trainer battles, you will also battle and capture wild pets in the zones.

Please, please get the following addons before you start. It will make your experience better from day 1:

Battle Pet Breed ID - each pet comes in Breeds, with different characteristics of Health, Power, Speed. Seeing those breeds on every pet will be helpful, though it's not enormously important until you get your first team to level 25.

Rematch - replaces the very basic WoW UI for pets, and does a much better job. It allows you to list and sort and filter your pets, and set standard teams for trainers, which will be important later.

PetTracker - helps you find pets you're looking for, and shows basic cooldowns in a battle.

The basic structure of levelling your pets through the trainers and wild battles is a wonderful journey, and a learning experience. Blizzard have added ways to get one pet to 25 instantly is you have a Level 3 Garrison, but I think that spoils the experience for beginners.

Wonderful, thank you :)

Seem worth it for the experience..

Regards
Heya,

Thank you Gráinne, for your helpful reply!

Just thought of chipping in some guides that I've used as well and are over to our pals in WoWhead!

Battle Pet Leveling Tips and Tricks

Pet Battles and You - A Trainer's Manual

Useful add-on's for becoming a Pro Pet Battler

I would like to clarify, we do not support addons, as they are made by the community. So if you encounter any issues with them, you should contact the author of the particular addon.

Take care and happy pet hunting!
I use this site a lot for specific trainers that I want to beat.
https://www.wow-petguide.com
08/10/2017 12:30Posted by Vossprey
I would like to clarify, we do not support addons, as they are made by the community. So if you encounter any issues with them, you should contact the author of the particular addon.

Take care and happy pet hunting!

Generally the community are a lot better at fixing issues with pet battle addons than Blizzard is at actually fixing issues with pet battle gameplay.

Keep up the sterling work though