Non-gameplay issue with surv

Hunter
So here i was, this morning, on one of the dead hours, thinking about how hunters might be on the next expac, and what i need to expect of every specialization.

Then i remembered something. You see, people complain about the SURVIVAbility in SURVIVAL. And then i realized something: The spec... makes no sense!

*hides from the rotten tomatoes* Come on. Come on. Let me explain.

First of all, we need to consider what they may have based on, without pressing their gameplay an utility on WoW. Survival hunters are, simply put, rugged dudes and dudettes that learned to survive on the wild trough traps and taking advantage of situations, either for hunting food, or for self defense.
The thing is, melee combat as offensive goes against survival's meaning. You are, litterally, putting your life on risk by using a 2h weapon at close quarters.

"But Sarbok! Hunters on neolithic times used spears to hunt!" And i couldn't agree more, dear chap/miss/boyo/pal. But yet again, following the studies i have done and some rehearsal of methods, the killing blow with a spear, in the hunting context, was used on bigger game, like aurochs, mamoths, bears, and so on, at melee. But in almost every case, the animal was entraped, tired, or snared, or you had a few clan mates with spears too to keep stabbing, as you distracted the target. You CAN hunt with spears, and even any other polearm. But on a survival point of view, is more practical throw it like a javelin, or use a sling, or bow. If you are by yourself, and want that bad guy killed, or that lovely boar to make some smoked pork, would be better to keep at distance, slow the target down and wear it off as much as possible, taunt it to a snare or booby trap, stone or hit it with an arrow, dart, or javelin, THEN when it is unable to retaliate, give a killing blow at melee. Preferably on the heart, or the throat. If you want to be brave and go at melee with a beast by your side, Like legion, smaller weapons would be better. You would sic your pet to strike and stagger the target, in a reallistic context bite the arms and legs and pulling it, keeping it distracted. Unless you had a good control of the situation, a spear isn't viable here. There will be some trashing around, for certain, and your pet will sometimes get right before your strike zone. A smaller weapon, say a camping knife, or an hatchet, or even a branch if you feel wild, are better because:
A) the target is in pain and distracted;
B) Your dog/beast will eventually move to your strike zone;
C) a smaller weapon gives you more mobility and variation on strikes. You can just dodge their conflict and stab the knife or whatever on the neck of your target. Or similar.

Now, what would i suggest, will you ask. Will i demand Survival goes back to the dot and trapping specc that was before, and forget the current Legion build like it never happened? HELL NO! Who you think i am? Blizz and the previous version of Surv?

No. Instead, modify the Survival specc to be something unique, instead of make it a guy sweeping around a weapon, that feels sometimes like a nerf foam toy sword, and that avoids to bear the name of a previous specc that had a pretty good fan base. I have been marksman since the first day i played, but i know there are thousands of people who liked the... well, true survival specialization, as i described above (slow and snare targets, kill them slowly with shots that makes them bleed and perhaps poisons, and finish them with a precise, deadly strike).

Make them... ambushers!

*covers behind the desk as the rotten tomatoes fly* Can you guys stop! Listen...

It is a true, and relatively original spec, that matches hunters. Camoflage is baseline, do a crit when breaks stealth with a strike, deflect returns as a 1.5 sec ability with longer cd to block spells and hits, cause bleeds and slows, and can even use dirt or snow on the enemy face to disorient them temporarily. Would make sense use Lone Wolf on this specc since a pet would probably attract more attention, when you want to keep hidden and ambush your target. And, can also use traps. You would feel like a true killing machine, perhaps unbeatable, and the enemy would be always vulnerable to any of your surprise attacks!

Speaking about 'vulnerability', I feel it doesn't fit well a marksman. Shooting something till it shows a vulnerable spot sounds more like a... *gasp* survival tactic!
Ok, i won't press that matter. At least yet.
03/10/2017 15:19Posted by Sarbok
But on a survival point of view, is more practical throw it like a javelin, or use a sling, or bow. If you are by yourself, and want that bad guy killed, or that lovely boar to make some smoked pork, would be better to keep at distance, slow the target down and wear it off as much as possible, taunt it to a snare or booby trap, stone or hit it with an arrow, dart, or javelin, THEN when it is unable to retaliate, give a killing blow at melee.

Throwing axes, dragonsfire grenade, a murder of crows, explosive trap, tar trap/caltrops, freezing trap and a net to slow and wear down your enemy.. Then you just harpoon on him and finish him off with a mongoose burst and flanking strike.

Yeah, I think that pretty much answers your explanation. I actually like the new surv more than the old dot one. At least this time people won't call me a noob for playing an easy win spec when I manage to kill them.

Don't take this as a hate comment, I wish surv was different, like dual wielding axes (like Rexxar who the spec is based upon) instead of a 2h polearm, but at least this "new" spec is a breath of fresh air for hunters that want a different playstyle than the generic ranged hunter.
Neverwinter had the same issue with spec identity for the Hunter Ranger class. What they did in the end was settle on ranged (archer), melee (combat) and a hybrid (trapper) which is a mix of ranged and melee. Trapper was added after the third spec (Nature or something to that effect - a buff-bot) was completely overhauled - much like SV - and became the most popular of the 3 specs.

I just think Blizz needs to settle on a theme for SV and stick to it instead of the mishmash they gave us in Legion. I do like melee SV, but it still needs a lot of work to make it an enticing option for the discontent masses.
Is it normal i feel like i played myself?

Well, thanks for clearing that. I wished though there was more variety of ranged abilities for survival, and perhaps use slings (balearic style), or javelins.

I think i am one of those who would love to see a spear and shield tank class. Maybe, just maybe, could be an alternative for survival xD But i digress.

Well. thanks for the attention, even if just 2 peeps commented here :)