Naming desaster...

General
1 2 3 7 Next
Honestly it's almost impossible to get a good.....no, not even a good one...more like ANY name (on a server that is still worth rolling on) that sounds halfway decent and not like some exotic disease and/or is riddled with special letters from other languages.

Seeing that you ceased GM support for names being blocked by placeholder characters are there any plans to fix this issue ? Because right now naming a character has become the hardest thing to do in this game.

I'd say it's time for surnames or other means to allow 2 or more players to have the same name on a server.
Oh no, it's really difficult, not! Made this character 3 days ago.
Nah it's fine.
02/10/2017 09:32Posted by Sheena
that sounds halfway decent and not like some exotic disease and/or is riddled with special letters from other languages.

Made me laugh. I feel you. For people who know how to read accents and Nordic letters and whatnot, names like that are a real eyesore.

I know a fair few good names that aren't taken anywhere (according to Armory) or very rare but I refuse to use them online because they're dear to me and I'd hate to see them copied. So I use names like this rather than going for rampant clown names. Had an elemental shaman called Pullfiveplz and junk like that.
I think you can still use good names...
I've never had issues with names on servers, and yes I do have characters on high pop servers like Argent Dawn and Outland.
Use your imagination.

I used to play in a band and when our group split up, I took "Mismeia" part of the name with me (in copyright terms) and kept it in the back of my head. Where this name comes from? I misheard a band called Miss May I as Mismeia because my friend was mumbling into his sleeve. My monk is named Eufemia, which was the middle name of my grandmother. At first I thought it was an old finnish name, but it's actually of greek/italian origin. My tip for naming characters? Think of what your character does as a class, for example; prot pally protects, search what protection is in latin (for ex.) and choose your pick. Twist it if you don't like the result as it is. It's yours anyway.

After all, however, I do feel your pain and can be with you on the issue how hard it is. It is pretty hard to name a character, but ain't that a common joke around this community that it's the most time-consuming part in character creation? If your name of choice is already used, doesn't it mean somebody else has already thought of it and that kind of takes away the individuality out of it? Maybe, maybe not.

But adding surname or something in means to allow same names? Like, how !@#$ing lame it would be when one day in Dalaran, I'm just calmly afking there, doing my thing and down the stairs of Krasus landing comes Mismeia Johnson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB4Nby2Ai-g
I understand why they removed the offer to unlock name placeholder characters because I myself and many others would often write them lists, in fact they even encouraged it sometimes I remember. There's a lot of high level characters that will never be touched. That being said I think they should've revised their policy within the confinements of this 'service', not outright get rid of it.

02/10/2017 10:32Posted by Mismeia
Like, how !@#$ing lame it would be when one day in Dalaran, I'm just calmly afking there, doing my thing and down the stairs of Krasus landing comes Mismeia Johnson?
Not anymore lame than people named "feraldudu". Just look at the arena ladder for a list of people named incredibly dumb things. There are two pokemon named characters right after each other (No offense, Raiku, but it's lame haha). Hell, some of them even breach blizzard's rules on their naming policy by having their character named a sentence. Just to be clear I don't want people to be robbed of the possibility to name their character something lame, that's their prerogative and that's also my point. Adding the ability to put in a second or last name would be perfectly okay.
Sup, rolled this weekend.

02/10/2017 09:32Posted by Sheena
not like some exotic disease

Oh
Sup, rolled this weekend.
Sup, rolled the weekend before.
Sup, rolled a few weeks before that.
02/10/2017 09:34Posted by Tommi
dont know what you talking about, but getting a cool name is almost immposible. Almost each movie, manga, tv show, book name is taken. You are left with combining 2 names in one, or names like yours ...tommi.... or something in a players native tongue.
90%of all american, english name related is taken.
02/10/2017 11:02Posted by Crashandburn

Fortunately as World of Warcraft is a role playing game set in a fantasy setting, naming your character with an "American English" name is not required.
02/10/2017 09:34Posted by Tommi
dont know what you talking about, but getting a cool name is almost immposible. Almost each movie, manga, tv show, book name is taken. You are left with combining 2 names in one, or names like yours ...tommi.... or something in a players native tongue.

Got this the day after Tommi. Most people have no imagination and end up with Ãrthäs or something similar, take two syllables and mash them together, Sanda, Tuntu, Gabnap, you get the idea. Not every name has to mean something.
Almost each movie, manga, tv show, book name is taken.

Using your own imagination is NOT AN OPTION AT ALL.
There's just one name I wish I'd come up with since I started playing MMORPG's, Ogmelgaig Ogmajikldogmitrwas. I'm amazed I still remember how to spell it.
(This was in DAoc btw)
02/10/2017 10:42Posted by Turok
Just to be clear I don't want people to be robbed of the possibility to name their character something lame, that's their prerogative and that's also my point. Adding the ability to put in a second or last name would be perfectly okay.

All in all you're just another brick in the wall, eh?

If names in this supposedly rpg hold no value nor sense of individuality to you or someone who is pro-surname, why don't you straight up ask Blizzard if we'd actually become numbers? A surname ain't enough to differentiate. It kills the identity of your own character and that shouldn't be allowed in MMORPG no matter how much people cry that they want to be Pikachu too. It's an horrible idea. What about streamers?

Asmongold this, Asmongold that, Nixxiom this, Nixxiom that.

I still hear Bishop Bullwinkle singing.
Also, what happens if the surname you want is also gone, you're still no better off.
I was sad when they removed the ability to ask for names to be released. Far more names were available that way than there are now.

They should have just made it an automated system if it was taking up too much GM support time. Like we have for item restoration.

If the name is attached to an active account then obviously it's not going to be possible to have that name. This new system of inactivity for two expansions isn't half as efficient.