Naming desaster...

General
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
03/10/2017 10:52Posted by Ràvñ
Ive just given up, And ALL my characters are named Ravn. With or without weird letters. So I got a Ravn of every class lvl 110 now. Hah

I hate you guys on my friendlist! Its not easy to see which character you are on ;)
I personally find random fantasy name generators quite handy as well. They can come up with some truly unique sounding names and even if there is nothing in there that I completely like, then I tend to still get some inspiration out of it at least. :)
I created a new rogue some days ago, using the suaheli word for 'knife': Kisu.

My favorite name is "Thoin" for dwarfes (but don't google "póg mo thóin")...

Use your imagination, and google translate...
02/10/2017 09:32Posted by Sheena
Honestly it's almost impossible to get a good.....no, not even a good one...more like ANY name (on a server that is still worth rolling on) that sounds halfway decent and not like some exotic disease and/or is riddled with special letters from other languages.

Seeing that you ceased GM support for names being blocked by placeholder characters are there any plans to fix this issue ? Because right now naming a character has become the hardest thing to do in this game.

I'd say it's time for surnames or other means to allow 2 or more players to have the same name on a server.

Come up with your own, it's not hard.
The dude above me named himself after some redneck shoes.
I named myself after a miss spellt version of a germanic king.

Ez names.
Character Surnames would help so much
03/10/2017 13:32Posted by Brewna
03/10/2017 13:17Posted by Narialeene
I personally find random fantasy name generators quite handy as well. They can come up with some truly unique sounding names and even if there is nothing in there that I completely like, then I tend to still get some inspiration out of it at least. :)

It would be cool if EU players had that facility during character creation

*whistles innocently*

Reason they can't do this is that EU consists of a dozen of languages, a randomly generated name can mean a bad word in 1 of those languages.

OT: I haven't created a character in a while, but I usually think of something related to the class.
eg.

Avaruuskana - literal translation of space chicken in Finnish, my boomkin alt.
Shinigami - Death Knight name, I got it without any weird characters by simply contacting a GM about that name, I got it since the person who had it was inactive for a long time.

If you want a really known name for your alt, it might always be worth it to contact a GM and ask if that person has been inactive for a long time. They will free up the name if the account has been inactive for a few years.

You can also test it yourself beforehand by trying to armory search said character, if it gives an error, you might get lucky with a GM ticket.
I have 33 chars on this account and not one has non-ascii characters in its name.

With 12 digits and 26 characters you already have a lot of combinations to choose from.
Even with quite some taken off the board like not more than two same characters in a row.
And then we have so much more than the basic 26 characters.
03/10/2017 13:32Posted by Brewna
It would be cool if EU players had that facility during character creation

*whistles innocently*

It has nothing to do with regions. This is not an in game feature. It's called "using your own initiative" and is basically what everybody else has been saying for the entirety of this thread.

Basically what you do is the following:

- Open up your web browser (you've already achieved this if you're reading)
- Browse to www.google.com
- Search for "fantasy name generator"
- Click the first link, see if you like the results
- Click the next link, see if you like the results
- Repeat the previous step until you find a result you like

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fantasy+name+generator
People that are against having surnames in this game because other people might have the same of either ones must have actual panic attacks if ever subjugated to a phone-book...
I find it more frustrating when I've come up with a cool name and other players just takes it, so if I transfer to another server I have to change it. I guess I'll take it as a compliment that there was no Petergrippin on any server when I came up with it, and now there are 25... Same with Monkgyver
03/10/2017 10:17Posted by Testora
02/10/2017 11:51Posted by Punyelf
I was sad when they removed the ability to ask for names to be released. Far more names were available that way than there are now.

They should have just made it an automated system if it was taking up too much GM support time. Like we have for item restoration.

If the name is attached to an active account then obviously it's not going to be possible to have that name. This new system of inactivity for two expansions isn't half as efficient.

I know of players who came back to an expansion and found their names stolen. They immediately refunded the game and never looked back.

It is fully understandable, that Blizzard is no longer doing this. It was a way to grief loyal players, who might not play 24/7.

Stolen? blizzard owns your chars you just pay for the server acces
03/10/2017 13:05Posted by Icorian
You just need to be more creative, most of my characters have unique names, as in no other characters in World of Warcraft has it. I think my old two characters who shares names with many others are from vanilla.

I would be very sad if my charcaters name was taken and I had to rename them just because my account inative for a few months.

It takes many years before they free them
03/10/2017 14:45Posted by Brewna
If you'd used Google you'd have discovered it is an in-game feature in the US.

You're being that guy, Flyk. Never be that guy.

I don't like being that guy, Brewna, but the button you're talking about is not present in my US client. So... only going based on personal experience.

(And yes I do have accounts in EU and US, I actually have several...)
02/10/2017 11:42Posted by Mismeia
All in all you're just another brick in the wall, eh?

Wait what? Him wanting a second name hardly makes him an abusive teacher.
So far i have had no problem with naming my characters (well my shaman, but using "å" instead of "a" sort of work as well i guess...) So far at least i have had no problems naming characters that sounds a bit more original (well i guess expect this one haha).
Has Sheena even responded to this thread or was it created to 'get the forums discussing a non-issue'?

I'd still like to know what name they were wanting to use, to see if there was an issue that warranted this thread.