Priest Destroyed By Single Trash Mob

General
My Priest is getting absolutely destroyed facing even one trash mob in Legion.

it's not like I haven't got 3 other characters A warrior a Hunter and a Paladin already to 110 with no issue. Sometimes - If I'm lucky - I can take down 1 trash mob. Sometimes I fail and get killed. If 2 gang up on me it's game over instantly.

I never even reach the 65 insanity I need to transform. I get to about 40, 50 if I'm lucky and I'm dead. All the guides on PvE rotation talk about "Casting void eruption at the beginning the rotation"

How do I do that with zero insanity when it requires 65, and the two dots I have create - what? 6 and 4 and mind flay gives me another15?

Maybe just spam cast the dots (just waste time re-casting a dot on a mob that already has 75% of the last dot on it - just because - well I really need the insanity to cast void eruption.

Like I say this is my 4th character I'm levelling to 110. But my first ever priest. In 11 years of playing I've never even rolled a priest not even just to have a look before.

Thought I'd finally use by free 100 character to see what the class was like I know I'm doing something very very wrong, but I have no idea what it is.

Or is the class really this bad?
I'm doing this, and I'm dead

Using Heirloom gear (so iLevel is pretty low - 618 average or something)

All the same Shadow or Discipline I get my backside handed to me.

My tool tips tell me I'm doing 300 or 400 instant on my DoTs followed by a couple of thousand over 18 or 24 seconds. But the mobs have 124,000 life (Pretty sure that's exact 124,000)
That makes no sense to me. Heirlooms are fully updated (level 3) Sometimes - If I'm lucky - I can take down 1 trash mob. Sometimes I fail and get killed. If 2 gang up on me it's game over instantly.

Not too proud to ask for help here, because I'm at a total loss. :)
It's been a while since I played my Shadowpriest (very early Legion) but I seem to recall you having a few options for burst damage outside of Voidform?
There are a couple of helpful things half a minute or more cool-down. Power infusion cast before a fight is often the difference between losing or winning (to a single trash mob). I can't see any burst damage abilities other than mind blast.

It's the disparity between the damage on my tooltips and the mobs health that gets me. even if I buff and hit every ability with perfect timing it's going to take 12 to 15 abilities executed perfectly for the damage they do to add up to the 124,000 health the mobs have.

Maybe that doesn't matter if I can hit voidform more quickly and my DPS scales a lot - but I never ever get close to the 65 insanity needed. "Gawd only knows" how people get to 100 insanity if they don't take the Legacy of the Void talent. I can rarely get to 50 by spamming ever insanity building talent and buff I can find.
OP
Maybe if you post on your priest some kind person on the forum could take a look at your talent choices and then talk you through your rotation, Maybe even increase your survivability.
Hi OP here - this is the character.

Brand new level 100 played by someone with no idea what they are doing.
Any help greatly appreciated.

The dangers of the 100 boost if you pick a class you have no idea about. You miss the whole leveling learning curve.
12/11/2017 00:20Posted by Tadger
Power infusion cast before a fight is often the difference between losing or winning

try casting it after you apply dots for max effecincy.
Can't help you really, I do have a shadow priest but I also feel like I have no clue playing it... seeing how weak it is compared to my other alts.

It's a bit bizarre to me, used to play the class without problems (TBC, WotLK) but since I got back in Legion the class just feels so odd to play. Pretty much abandoned it once I hit 110.

At 100 the Heirlooms are extremely weak btw, they only kick in at 101.

Edit: I have to clarify, it is the solo'ing I struggle with.
12/11/2017 00:29Posted by Badscience
Hi OP here - this is the character.

Brand new level 100 played by someone with no idea what they are doing.
Any help greatly appreciated.

The dangers of the 100 boost if you pick a class you have no idea about. You miss the whole leveling learning curve.

Your priest doesn't have the artifact yet for shadow. That makes a big difference. If you got the discipline artifact first then use disc to level till 102 and then get the shadow one before actually playing as shadow.
Your single biggest problem is your low ilevel though. For now prioritise playing with an actual artifact instead of heirloom weapon, then do quests until you get proper gear. Levelling will get much, much easier by then.

As level 90 talent I prefer Misery. It's so much more fun to dot multiple mobs and then aoe them down. I also prefer to use Auspicious Spirits as level 75 talent.
As for rotation you surely can find the proper one on icy veins I guess. I could jot down mine, but it would be a level 110 one with maxed out artifact and wouldn't be very helpful I'm afraid.

I do have to add that I levelled as disc, which was slow but fun, so I don't have any actual experience of how shadow at level 100 with low ilevel gear and without artifact is like.
12/11/2017 00:58Posted by Shopkeeper
It's a bit bizarre to me, used to play the class without problems (TBC, WotLK) but since I got back in Legion the class just feels so odd to play. Pretty much abandoned it once I hit 110.

[/quote]

I don't think I can kill enough mobs to complete the quests needed to get to 101 never mind 110 :)
How are you dying? I main a Priest, and they got pretty high survivability... with Misery talent I just DoT every mob in the area for whatever quest, and away I go... o.O;
I dot everything as well. The dot does virtually no damage per second. The quests I'm doing there are a max of 2 mobs in the area (otherwise reaching insanity levels might be a bit easier I suppose) By the time both dots and the channeling has finished they are still at 65% health I've got maybe 21 - 30 insanity towards the 65 I need to transform - but I'm also I'm dead as a doornail
Are you in shadow form? Makes some diiference
And now I'm on fire - permanently. Just put in a bug report. Getting quite a bit of attention in Goldshire for being "The priest stood there on fire"

Starting to think my character has bugged out and perhaps it's not just me.
It was a 100 upgrade a couple of hours ago and it's felt really wrong since then
1. I have all classes at 110 now. Priest was BY FAR - BY MILES - the hardest class to quest with in low gear.

2. Why are you using 618 Heirloom gear? If you boosted, you should have got 640s. Use them. Your heirlooms will start scaling again when you hit 101; you can go back to them then.

3. Above all, you have boosted without getting any practice on the class. Take some time, and expect to have to try things out for a while before you get the feel. The guides don't really help much for questing. The guides are ok for raid bosses, but irrelevant here. In questing you don't have a chance to get into Void Form half the time, and when you do, you lose it before the next mob.

DoT, PW:S, Mind Blast, Mind Flay is about all you can rely on in the world as Shadow, then SW:D when it's available.
Yes in shadow form :)
You might try using shadow word void and masochism while leveling. Should help with insanity generation and damage reduction.
Have to say after lvling all classes to 110 SP was the most time consuming and felt very weak .
Tbh i just went holy at 102 and holy fire/smited to 110 then went back SP with x 910 relics and 60+ traits now hits very hard .
Gl witg lvling priest are rewarding so dont give up.
nah its looms cucking you. just from first glance i can tell, ive leveled numerous times (esp with feral i noticed) equipping looms on some specs just completley cucks you and trivial questing becomes a chore as each fight may aswell almost be a boss battle.
12/11/2017 00:05Posted by Tadger
How do I do that with zero insanity when it requires 65, and the two dots I have create - what? 6 and 4 and mind flay gives me another15?

Read up your own talents instead of whining on the forums like a little girl?

You have a talent to generate 75 insanity within 4 seconds or so right in your first tier. Seeing how you try to communicate in English (and not Mandarin or something), you should be accustomed to reading left to right, top to bottom. So that should be about the second talent you see once you open up that window. Neat right?

12/11/2017 00:05Posted by Tadger

Maybe just spam cast the dots (just waste time re-casting a dot on a mob that already has 75% of the last dot on it - just because - well I really need the insanity to cast void eruption.

A dot gives me 4 insanity. Mind flay gives me 15 insanity. I need insanity ASAP. Hmm, I should just spam the dots, looks like a bright idea.

Power infusion cast before a fight is often the difference between losing or winning (to a single trash mob).

124k health mobs is what, WOD content? 620 item level is more than enough for any WOD zone if you don't try to solo elites.

it's going to take 12 to 15 abilities executed perfectly for the damage they do to add up to the 124,000 health the mobs have.

How can one level up for 100 levels or more and be this clueless? That's a cry out for all of you guys who love to moan "dun boost it level up so you can learn your class". Here, a specimen that doesn't understand the most basic rotation of his class after 100 levels.

By the way, OP, have you tried like using mind blast and void bolt?

12/11/2017 00:39Posted by Whitedragôn
try casting it after you apply dots for max effecincy.

Largely irrelevant at level 100.

12/11/2017 00:58Posted by Shopkeeper
I have no clue playing it... seeing how weak it is compared to my other alts.

It is somewhat "weak" on outdoor mobs because you need time to ramp up your damage. On the other hand, in Legion content you can more or less tag mobs up with VT+SWP and move on, they just melt.