238 or 97% of the EU realms are LOW

General
09/11/2017 11:05Posted by Trelw
@All: EU area currently has 247 realms online (WCR lists 251, but 4 were permanently removed when Russian realms were created ages ago), which if my recollection is not in error, currently form a total 121 servers.

As a few posters have noted, the old connection technique became outdated, so the pre-WoD launch methods were no longer available. Blizzard has announced that they are developing new methods and according to at least one player made post, they are already testing them on servers of South American portion of the US servers.

If (I can not confirm yet) that is correct, the new methods must be very close to ready and it is not entirely unimaginable that Blizzard might have learned a few things from WoD launch and decided to make "pre-emptive" upgrades before rolling out even more connections. It also possible that such methods may further increase the current maximum capacity from around 6000 to even higher figure, which in turn would enable more complex connections than were feasible pre-WoD.

I would buy that if it wasnt for the fact that they attach servers together, they may well have made it so the servers can hold more, but the fact that crz exists shows that most realms are no where near enough full to only show you own server.

What they need todo if they have bigger servers is to shut some servers down and move people to new servers that are bigger and can hold more players so cross realm can be removed. Some realms are so low pop level that its a waste for them tobe online.

Added to this come bfa there will be no such thing as pvp servers.
08/11/2017 14:10Posted by Sindarine
Take a server like Silvermoon (almost entire pop Alliance), merge it with a server like Draenor (almost entire Horde). Have awesome world PvP

I'm really confused by this. They are two PvE servers. The players on theses servers also choose these servers because they have a high population, makes them busy and have a good economy. All it would do is create an even busier server for two factions ignoring each other while getting on with their primary interest, namely PvE! It would just mean even more sharding as there would be a ridiculous number of players in one place.

The problem is low populated realms. Merges were done to boost populations, so that people could actually have an economy and functioning AH, that there would be a bigger pool of people to recruit from. To make it so paying moving server isn't the only solution.

Whilst the initial round of merges has helped some of those servers they are still dwindling. Busy servers still get an influx of players, either moving there or simply rerolling on them.

I don't think deleting realms is an option. The way they get round not losing your character name with merges is by giving you your server as an affix, so I'm punyhuman-emeralddream on on of the alliance merged servers I play on. I can also have a punyhuman-terenas if I want because the realms are merged. Many people in my guild took up their names on both servers :). One of the small perks of being on a merged server is you can have more characters on that realm than someone on a busy realm.

They did increase the capacity of servers back in WoD (I believe) and after that more servers started showing as low. For a short time even high pop servers like Silvermoon and Draenor were showing as medium.

Some of the merges were unpopular as they chose servers where English was mostly spoken in trade and merged with with other language dominated servers. It made some feel pushed out of their own realms. The game support is English on English realms but any language can be spoken in trade/general etc. I can understand wanting to move if your realm is overtaken by another language and you feel pushed out.

CRZ doesn't help realms other than to make them look populated. It wont generate more people making/selling/buying stuff on AH.
Now in my server half of players are from Silvermoon so it seems that high pop servers arnt as fun if so many flood med sized servers just to killsteal and mess with core server players quests. So yea, i hate realm merging and i really do hate Silvermoon players on Chamber of Aspects - 9 out of 10 players who choose my server to quests are just plain horrid jerks.

My point is, i better chose med sized realm and play in peace, than getting zerged by braindeads who doesnt even belong to that server. Many people chose low pop servers just for peacefull questing - but then theres that damn realm jumping...
@Shingara: There were notable increases. Depending on their age, most pre-WoD servers had a capacity of around 4500. A large number of servers were entirely replaced while the original connection program was running (some people may remember individual realms, such as Silvermoon spending extra time offline during specific days), most often Wednesdays, when many realms would be up fairly quickly as soon as maintenance was over, but every second week or so, one or two realms would be unavailable much longer than the others.

As one may also recall, WoD launch did NOT go too well, some even described it as the worst launch ever (I can not offer a valid opinion, because I was not around for TBC launch, which I am told, suffered from massive crashing, etc.).

Those upgrades made it possible to set maximum capacity to around 5000, but it proved entirely insufficient and (my opinion) Blizzard was unable to compensate with sufficient speed. By the time Legion launched, there had been more refinements, which had brought the capacity to around 6000+ consecutive users per server. This made the Legion launch significantly smoother, even though some of the most popular servers were still stressed, especially during prime time hours.

As of today, activity figures are lower, but still above those of May 2016, which can be considered the low point of the past several (4+) years. How that activity is split between different servers, however, has changed. There are servers that have gone down, a lot. :( People have transferred and/or rerolled and that reflects into the numbers on servers such as Argent Dawn, Silvermoon and Draenor, among a handful of others.

Because the balance between servers have changed, a lot of servers (whether single or connected) simply can not compete with the biggest ones. This is especially clearly visible by looking at Outland and the RP-PvP 5-way, which have a tendency to wander from low to medium and back, depending on what time of day it happens to be. Argent Dawn, despite it size, wanders from medium to high, because even it is unable to compete with Silvermoon and certain Russian PvP realms. I did not list all the "wanderers", but those examples should suffice.

Additionally, because the classification is based partly on existing population and partly on activity, there have been moments when even Silvermoon has been reading as "Medium". Most often those occur shortly after EU maintenance. (Speculation: This may be due to Russian servers having a different maintenance timing pattern.) Currently, there simply are not enough actives to push even Silvermoon into long term "lockdown", a status very common during several expansion launches.
Unless they are joining someone on Chamber it's highly unlike they are choosing to be there. It's just how CRZ works. Even on busy servers the non end game stuff isn't highly populated so they CRZ it.
since they are working on getting rid of the PvP and PvE Server ruleset anyway...

You chosse PvP or Pve when heading out of "town" and get what you want shards that have ppl who wanna do pvp or not , but atm we know very little how they are planning to achive the goal... Not sure what happens with AH and server names, char names though ...

Blizz has to give more Info on that one topic ....
I completely agree, we have too many servers for no reason, it completely dilutes the community. It would be amazing to see the world populated again (other than inside the current exp main cities, that is). I miss lagging in Orgrimmar.

I've considered playing on the US servers just because of this issue, since there, even during downtime hours, it feels like there are a lot more people than on the EU servers, even the more populated ones.

This paired with the fact that EU servers will naturally have more linguistic variety really helps to fragment the community and to destroy the MMO sense.

Blizz, pls fix.
I heard something about that they imroving the Cross realm system.

If with a toggle opftion you can choose from pvp or pve zone it would be possible that your server only matters from guild and ah pov. As soon as you leave the capital your character would phase into "barrens #18" not "barrens - ragnaros"

So even trough there are 200 servers there would be 35 active zones for example.
I think GW1 had a system like this.

Personally I think it would be great, and would be better if the AH would be realm-wide.
I actually had a log in timer yesterday, For Vashj EU the realm is dead

Wonders will never cease to amaze
09/11/2017 12:57Posted by Delphii
I actually had a log in timer yesterday, For Vashj EU the realm is dead

Wonders will never cease to amaze

What is this sorcery!!!
Blizzard simply wanted more $$ from server transfers.

My old realm Bronze Dragonflight was merged with Nordrassil. Even then we probably had 1/20th of silvermoons population.

All realm merges should've been done like what they did with RP-PvP servers. It should've been 5-6 servers merged together not two.
09/11/2017 12:52Posted by Kraivanah

If with a toggle opftion you can choose from pvp or pve zone it would be possible that your server only matters from guild and ah pov. As soon as you leave the capital your character would phase into "barrens #18" not "barrens - ragnaros"

Is it so wrong to want my server's barrens to just be my server's barrens? We don't need all this fancy cross realm tech, we just need less realms.
@Delphii: While I can not be 100% sure, I am almost certain that you got briefly stuck in the AUTHENTICATION queue, not any queue to your own realm.

Authentication servers are prone to have occasional minor queues, I have seen some queues of 1 or 2 myself, mostly on Wednesday evenings. :D
[u][/u]

09/11/2017 13:57Posted by Trelw
@Delphii: While I can not be 100% sure, I am almost certain that you got briefly stuck in the AUTHENTICATION queue, not any queue to your own realm.

Authentication servers are prone to have occasional minor queues, I have seen some queues of 1 or 2 myself, mostly on Wednesday evenings. :D

I normally only see such queues at the start of a new xpac, Seeing any queue apart from that is rare for me. For clarity the queue was on BOTH I queued to log into the app, Then it re-queued me whilst changing realms from spinebreaker to Vashj. Which was the odd part I haven't seen it do that before ever.
@trelw
@Shingara: /snip

Im well aware of how much the servers could hold, I used to run the guild Titans Outriders on Kul Tiras in vannila, around 1400 individual accounts spread across 3 guilds with variant letters so it was all under the same guild. And thats not me tooting my horn, im stating that as we couldnt fit on doomhammer, we had to setup on kul tiras when we moved from swg to here.

Also the point isnt what the servers could hold, its about the activity of the people on the server, the less people played the less active they became, to combat the less activity on the servers they introduced cross realm.

Cross realm hides how few people are actually active upon a server, and thank god it exists or q's for randoms would be insane. And my point was that they need to throw cross realm out of the window and just merge servers together.

And we cannot blame the servers for what happened at the beginning of the expansions, in the bulk of cases its because of stupid quest line design. If your going to send an entire side of a server to click on one flag that only can be done one at a time to start a base then your aiming for trouble.
@Shingara: At the time it was... Some connections were not made, because the servers were not able to cope with sufficiently large numbers. If we had had the capacity of today... say 5 years ago, I and many others would have pushed for far larger number of connections.

RP realms, for example, could have been pushed for AD + 5-way, instead of the AD + 2-way + 3-way we got. I know many people wanted that... Because they KNEW things would get worse, sufficiently long time AFTER launch. Even I knew that, but I argued for before and during part. That was generally not taken well, but things ended up going both ways... Even with the chosen structure, there were some problems, because people from AD opted for their alts, when they could not get on AD and on the other hand... After time passed, the smaller realms shrank while simultaneously the capacity went up... :/

Even the RP-PvP 5-way was on a knife's edge. It was one of the last connections made and I was among those, who called heavily for it, because I knew how horribly weak especially Sporeggar and Scarshield Legion were. In fact, your 1400 member guild combo was probably more powerful than entire Sporeggar, which had something like 8088 characters (not players) left, when it got connected...

Without the connection to DB, the other four RP-PvP realms would have been a "Low" server right in the middle of WoD Launch rush...

No, we can not blame the servers for judgement errors... but neither can we blame them for not being able to hold 13 500+ people concurrently, when they were restricted to around 5000... :/ (Yes, some servers had 8500+ people sized queues during WoD launch...)

As for cross realms... It is entirely possible that those will remain for a long, long time, even if there are (many) more connections... Because cross realms do not affect things such a guild membership and AH, which are strictly tied to servers.

To understand today, one must know at least a bit about the past... *hug*
@Trelw

Yes to understand where we have come from to understand where we are today helps, but where we came from is 13 years ago. To say tech has moved on is a small joke, the tech has advanced massively.

And you throw my point out perfectly, some realms are so low pop that if they didnt have cross realm that they would probably have trouble getting an av match going.

So what did bliz do, introduced crz so they felt active. BUT those players were still trapped on a dead server, trading, joining guilds etc required them to server transfer, costing $£$£ per char, not a bulk exchange, you had to move individual chars, each at a cost. So in essence players were held to ransom.

And we all know why bliz refuses to spool down servers, its not cos of our names. Its because in the press if it gets out that bliz is shutting servers down, it wouldnt make a dif if its cos tech has advanced, or that the community has changed, or that we have less players then 6 years ago.

Its because people would scream, wow is dying, there shutting down servers, the end is nigh. And even though they would be wrong bliz could never let that feeling stand.
@Shingura: I think you missed the point of my posts... Blizzard has ALREADY eliminated well in excess of 200 servers, over a hundred in EU alone. 247 realms run, as I said, if I recall correctly, on 121 servers. That has been public knowledge for more than four years by now... They elected to save the realm names, but axed the tech behind many. If the basic principles do not change with the newer methods, we may well see the 247 realms remain, but even more servers get to shoulder a wider load. I am not sure how far Blizzard intends to go this time, but I predict that many 2- and 3-ways find themselves as parts of 4-, 5- or 6-ways. For the absolutely smallest realms... They could probably trim down some... We already have a PvP 10-way, which feels a bit silly, IMHO.

As for death screams, did those not start somewhere around start of TBC? Or earlier? End has been nigh for well over 10 years... :D
They should really merge low pop servers...
But Blizz might not want because, merging servers also mean, the game pop is decreasing and may bring bad reputation to WoW.
09/11/2017 18:51Posted by Trelw
@Shingura: I think you missed the point of my posts... Blizzard has ALREADY eliminated well in excess of 200 servers, over a hundred in EU alone. 247 realms run, as I said, if I recall correctly, on 121 servers. That has been public knowledge for more than four years by now... They elected to save the realm names, but axed the tech behind many. If the basic principles do not change with the newer methods, we may well see the 247 realms remain, but even more servers get to shoulder a wider load. I am not sure how far Blizzard intends to go this time, but I predict that many 2- and 3-ways find themselves as parts of 4-, 5- or 6-ways. For the absolutely smallest realms... They could probably trim down some... We already have a PvP 10-way, which feels a bit silly, IMHO.

As for death screams, did those not start somewhere around start of TBC? Or earlier? End has been nigh for well over 10 years... :D

No i got your point as i think we both have the same point but coming from different directions, as you just reinforced what i said, servers are now not much more than an extra login screen. We do not need to retain server names. Come next expac we wont even have pvp servers and you have to wonder how many will leave for classic. Everything is done now through sharding and phasing.

We could do away with half the servers, remove crz and be in the exact same situation we are at now, only difference, no bouncing between servers, better communitys, better trading on the ah and easier guild integration.

Edit, also alot of the servers they shut down were the ones they spooled up as overflow servers before crz was a thing, but they went to big to fast thinking that they would retain all those peeps with the tbc/wrath expac then pandaland hit.