Please, no more midnight expansion releases

General
Releasing expansions at midnight encourages a very unhealthy playstyle. And yes, I know we all can make responsible decisions and just decide not to play, but even so, it just feels "meh" when you log in the next morning and everyone is already almost max level, if not max.

From what I can guess, the practice of midnight releases was done for two main historic reasons:

1) Real-life midnight release hype - this could potentially get the game in the spotlight, and was intended to be a means of advertising

This has been made obsolete by digital download release. The players who get the game through digital download have an advantage over anyone who decides to get the game in a physical box. The comfort of being able to start right away without having to leave your home or waiting for the postman is unrivaled.

2) Server load - the idea is that 0:00 is an ungodly time to release the game on, and the players wont start playing all at the same time, and that the load will increase gradually

With the new level scaling of zones introduced in Legion, starter zones will no longer get congested, which also means way less server load. Also, this never really worked anyway - remember WoD? Besides, the average subscriber is so hardcore anyway nowadays, so he WILL take the day off and he WILL play all night long.

Please, change this outdated practice and let players experience what it is like to play a new expansion in the light of the day for once.

PS: Guild Wars 2 releases expansions on 9:00 AM on fridays. One can dream, right? :)
How about no? I prefer people skipping a few hours of sleep over skipping work and school.
Beats being in the middle of a Raid Boss fight & getting a 15m server restart warning...
11/11/2017 22:06Posted by Dalanna
How about no? I prefer people skipping a few hours of sleep over skipping work and school.
You mean that people lie about being sick, on Expansion launch day...?

How DARE they...?

Except if they stay up late, or play all night, they will be too tired to go to work or school the next day anyway. And the disrupted circadian rhythm will make them perform really poorly for a couple of days.
11/11/2017 22:10Posted by Akcope
And the disrupted circadian rhythm will make them perform really poorly for a couple of days.
No different to how it did when I 'attuned' my body clock to West Coast America, to watch Blizzcon live, rather than 'recorded'.
No I don't work, but it's the same kind of thing.

Actively choose when you want to play a new Expansion & f*** everyone else who's got ahead & left you behind - nothing end game happens that quick, so what's the benefit to rushing?
Aslong as it will be known some weeks befour, then I do not care.

I need to be able to plan ;)
Who cares?
Someone getting to max level a few hours before you is literally meaningless. Their being high level doesn't prevent you enjoying the game.
The midnight releases are great.
11/11/2017 22:10Posted by Akcope

Except if they stay up late, or play all night, they will be too tired to go to work or school the next day anyway. And the disrupted circadian rhythm will make them perform really poorly for a couple of days.

Oh please. I work nights (and only nights) and have daytime obligations and a raid schedule to follow. Say what you want about 'poor performance', but it's utter dung. Staying up for one night is not going to have any dramatic effect.
What a stupid suggestion to a non-issue.
@All: While the crowd was small, I had a nice time in my local gaming store during the previous launch, and if it is possible, I think I will enjoy my midnight shopping trip on foot during the next one as well. About 5 km (there and back) already makes for a healthy walk... and getting home around 01:15 or so does not matter, if it happens once every couple of years. :D Especially since server time is an hour behind, so in theory I am online about quarter an hour after people are able to begin anyway. :D
Time was the hours before release was a bit of a party in game. When they blew up the boats in front of the wall to make way for Stormwind Harbor was quite a night. Saying that I would prefer an 8 o'clock kick off as I quite enjoy just sitting there and doing the old /who in game and watch the levels of players zonk through. Eventually I just fall asleep at the keyboard.
Its better, because not everyone will be at same place at the same time.
It's actually one of the clever things Blizz has done.

you will encounter less buggy gameplay if there are not 1000 ppl at same spot, let's say 300 ppl will log on at midnight and 700 during day - much better

you wont like this but : just wait till expansion release date and then pretend they released it 12 hours after ;)
Launching at midnight is perfect, Nothing could be worse than a launch say on the 1st May 2018 @12 noon, Chances are more people are naturally about due to the time and launch days always sees a larger influx of people returning and logging on.

A launch is at Midnight because it is the start of the day, So it gives you a choice log in at the start or waiting till you have either got up, Finished work, School to log in and play. A lot of people take holidays or days off around the launch of a new xpac.
I know I stay up and play launch days, FYI there isn't anything unhealthy about the odd late night, As the saying goes Everything in moderation.

Seriously what's next you will a start a petition asking for the servers to be shut down between 10 pm and 7 am daily, to allow players to get their beauty sleep on health grounds.
11/11/2017 22:57Posted by Chanen
What a stupid suggestion to a non-issue.
The UK start time is 11pm. You are wrong about the reasons, the first 3 expansions had a midnight release time and the servers died but with the new software in place the crashes shouldn't happen now.
Speak for urself bra, i been doin nightshifts for years and i prefer to play at night when not working, you wana be healthy then dont play video games at all!

You effin hipsters are ruining it for everyone, you even taken pizas n burgers and try to force em with full of veges when they are meat based food and you are suppose to enjoy them! Wana eat healthy then dont frekkin eat pizas n burgers, same deal with ur night time cycle.....

Plus there are usually no kids at night time couse mommy yells otherwise, better gaming at night
Its not allways about the health, its about what job you end up with, not everyone can get dayjob so suck it!