Ninja looters

Classic Discussion
05/12/2017 21:45Posted by Haelohim
IF I play Classic and IF I beat the Molten Core and Sulfuras drops and it wasn't agreed that I'm getting it, then OBVIOUSLY I'm gonna take it and run. I don't care getting shunned and all, I will be the freaking wielder of the freaking Sulfuras

It's not a single item drop. You need all materials from different bosses to craft it. You guys clearly have no idea.
04/12/2017 20:31Posted by Høns
04/12/2017 20:22Posted by Cai
here's honest question though :

after ninjaing few times mayby even 3-4 in raids, we're you really welcomed with open arms to other raids ? didn't you get blacklisted ? isn't that a lot of work to find a new guild to start that progressive raiding all over again because guilds that does progress raiding doesn't invite you.

No real ID back then and you would never share the names of your other characters. You just log off immediately after ninjalooting and let people rage. Then log on next day, and start adding the most persistant haters in /w to your ignore list, once full wait 15min then log off. Then next day, repeat.

You would just log another character and repeat the process. Getting into guilds, making pretend friends and then taking their stuff. I don't applaud that behavior today, but back then, I had no moral code towards strangers on the internet.

Nah, who am I kidding... my girlffriend just saw me write this and said "you would still do it".

I would, I would scr3w anyone and everyone over in WoW for that mythic loot if possible :p

So instead of upping your own mentality, you lay the blame with the game and say that Blizzard should take more rigorous steps to prevent people like you from doing immoral things.

Terrific.
06/12/2017 07:53Posted by Naeya
So instead of upping your own mentality, you lay the blame with the game and say that Blizzard should take more rigorous steps to prevent people like you from doing immoral things.Terrific.

i don't think he's being serious, he still haven't answered my question, for what i remember if you we're known ninjalooter it was impossible to progress in raids, only way to progress was to find totally fresh and new guild that haven't heard from you ( and even still theres danger some guy from old guild will warn that new guild ) and start progress all over again, ninjalooting basicly meant you won't get any new gear ever again.

He's somekind of weird retail player trying to make vanilla fans admit something... don't know what.
Back then you had to properly commit to your douchebaggery, by leveling new characters every few months... then gearing for your level of content, gaining a new guild's trust etc. The reputation of your old character would be wide-spread and indelible on your server very fast.

If you were will to commit to that then you earned the right to be a douchebag. Most ninja looters gave up with it after the first time when they realized they couldn't stomach releveling a new character to continue being an !@#$%^-.

Nowadays there's almost no consequences to being a cockwomble in any content. Even hoping between Mythic guilds to erase your chequered past is just $25 away.
04/12/2017 20:17Posted by Høns
04/12/2017 20:12Posted by Shogath
We take the good with the bad.

Even you are always welcome ^^

Are you for real? :p

If I snatch your loot, you are just gonna lean back in your chair, smile and say "I love vanilla"?

Hah, sure, because I'm going to kick you out of the group, tell my friends the kind of !@#$%^- you are and ruin your chances to get into any guilds ever. Ninja looting was never a real problem in WoW unless you had zero social skills (including the ability to recognize and get rid of *!@#$%^s). If you choose to be an -*!@#$%, it's not the games fault, it's your fault.
04/12/2017 20:19Posted by Skurne
Atleast a ninja looter can't do a name change or transfer to another realm in classic

Couldn't.

We have no idea what is happening with paid services in this iteration.
The server first of Azuregos on Frostmourne back then there was a hunter who, due to a glitch, could grab the sword and run. I don't quite remember his name (started with M), but i remember how it was to join a (random) MC run later with him in it.
After informing other players who he was and that one would never play with him he got kicked - every time.
If he joined a guild their officers were informed about his behavior and he was kicked again.
And at some time there were rumors that another char was actually a twink and this char was also chain-kicked.

To summarize: It was quite brutal.
I wonder if we will see the return of scrubs playing hunter in vanilla and ninjaing every single item because they think they really need whitemanes hat on their hunter. My guess is that most people will realize its not normal to do that, but on the other hand i wonder how many people from retail that didnt play in tbc or vanilla will do such stuff
05/12/2017 17:12Posted by Cai
but... you still haven't answered my question.

I missed them, apologies for that. Let's go over them.

can you raid properly being ninjalooter ?

No, you don't want to either. You are only in it for the desired item you are seeking.

you tell me you're notorous ninjalooter in vanilla

No, I was no where near the worst out there, only managed to pull it off a few times.

tell me did you ever progress to aq40 / naxx ?

No, I did not. I did not have the skill, patience or gear to get into that, was mostly into PvP back then. Looted MC once (for daggers), but most of the stuff went down in TBC and especially in WotLK where pug raids had become really popular.

ninjalooters in vanilla is this : they ninjaloot, they get kicked from guild, they have fun with their new item month or two and does random content, when finally finds new guild ( here is danger that someone from previous guild will warn raidleader,

Would never join a raid guild on a character I had already ninja-looted with. People made blacklists and guildmasters in raid communities stayed in close touch. Would always use a different character each time.

05/12/2017 19:02Posted by Arazil
And talking about bad reputation, it's deadly in classic.

To you, perhaps. I for one, never have and never will give a damn about what my online reputation is. It's got no connection to my IRL life, so what's the point of even making a said reputation.
But I do realize that I am not as deeply engaged into the game as others are, to some the game is the biggest influence on their actual social circle, virtual or otherwise. To them, the reputation means everything.

But honestly, that statement doesn't make sense. You don't ninja-loot if you care about your online rep. If don't, however....

the last ninjalooting i ever saw was on ragnaros first kill when this guy ninjalooted everything and hs'ed and left guild.

Epic video, gave me the idea to do it too.

06/12/2017 08:45Posted by Cai
i don't think he's being serious, he still haven't answered my question,

Work, wife, social life got in the way. Sorry you had to wait.

for what i remember if you we're known ninjalooter it was impossible to progress in raids,

I have said this over and over again. At this point, you aren't reading my posts.

As a ninjalooter, you don't join a guild, sit and wait as they progress to the last boss. Are you kidding me? Frikken waste of time.
You join once they reach or have cleared last boss and are about to do it again.

only way to progress was to find totally fresh and new guild that haven't heard from you ( and even still theres danger some guy from old guild will warn that new guild )

Can you actually read?

- Once per character
- no progression, join once guild has done full clear
- Never raid with that character
- Actually not having regrets or caring about online reputation.

Last time I am repeating this, if you don't get it now, you must be a troll.

He's somekind of weird retail player trying to make vanilla fans admit something...

Okay, you are a troll :) I'll stop feeding

06/12/2017 14:21Posted by Demostravius
04/12/2017 20:19Posted by Skurne
Atleast a ninja looter can't do a name change or transfer to another realm in classic

Couldn't.

We have no idea what is happening with paid services in this iteration.

We don't, but it is kinda relevant. Example, back then people weren't big on alts, it took forever to get to 60 and gearing them, unlike today.

Which means most investment was put into a "Main" character and in terms of ninjalooters, I can see that the shop services may cater a bit to their advantage.

To those still wandering what my OP is about, even though it's pretty clear if you actually read it. It is about that having a little bit of quality of life, to prevent things like ninja-looters might not be a bad idea.

But at the same time, I do see your arguments, especially from the hardcore vanilla fanatics who at the moment seem to be so afraid of letting just a single QoL improvement to be added to Classic WoW out of fear, that it might lead to more less admirable QoL improvements coming too, which would in general ruin the nostalgic image of vanilla WoW.

I still think this is something worth discussing.
I like it, I like it because your reputation matters. If you steal people will remember that. And when you can't buy a name change and not jump to other realms good luck getting invited for raid again! They will only destroy the game for themselves
ah, thank you hons for replying.

from your reply is the exact reason why you don't see ninjalooting in vanilla, and no one is too worked about it.

you can't progress in game nor your character because of your reputation :) now i know you don't care about your reputation, fair enough, but there is some people who cares about progressing in game and with their character.

and that's why i don't care about ninjalooters either, they ninjaloot once and their character is just as good as dead, or atleast they have to be very lucky to be given second chance.
Are we out of troll feed? no? okey then carry on.
I think the guy answered his own question:

04/12/2017 20:07Posted by Høns
Are you ready for 40man progression just to have one guy steal your stuff?

I did not have the skill, patience or gear to get into that, was mostly into PvP back then. Looted MC once (for daggers), but most of the stuff went down in TBC and especially in WotLK where pug raids had become really popular.

- Once per character
- no progression, join once guild has done full clear (<- LOL, no)
- Never raid with that character (again)

So yea, not a concern since 99,99% of the players probably won't be satisfied with just a single item from a raid, but want to gear their character fully.
04/12/2017 20:17Posted by Høns
04/12/2017 20:12Posted by Shogath
We take the good with the bad.

Even you are always welcome ^^

Are you for real? :p

If I snatch your loot, you are just gonna lean back in your chair, smile and say "I love vanilla"?

Im not a noob u will never get my loot i dont go raids or partys with ninjas as leaders :)

If u wanna bash vanilla cause of the loot mechanics bro nice try. In vanilla you have to interact and know other people in order to know if that people is trustworthy.

In vanilla u cant implement such things like cloth only for cloth users, since classes like paladins need that gear for healing etc due to the lack of plate intelect gear etc etc.
I think it's important to remember that Blizzard needed to add ninja looter protections because of how the game is now.

LFD/LFR means that it's easy to get a group for most non proper raid level play. You can ninja random groups all day long, the chance of meeting the same player is small (except in the small hours of the night perhaps when the same tank/healer might well appear).

The CRZ and Realm merges have made larger populations for the ninja to hide in. Even outside the LFD/LFR world.

Creating a new character and leveling to max is now beyond trivial. Meaning there's less cost to you if you get a bad name somehow.

The above make ninja looting an attractive behaviour for many, when there's really no realistic potential for a downside for them if they do it.

In vanilla (and BC), it took some commitment to level a character to max level, and you have to make groups for any instances on your own realm, a realm that by the way had a lower pop cap than now. In short, people on realms KNEW who the prolific offenders were.

You could make a new character, but that's way more effort than you gain from a few ninja'd items.

You could change name if money is no object. But, I suppose you'd have to make your haul worthy of the real money cost.

TLDR; Ninja looting was WAY less of a problem in vanilla. There's really not likely to be a need for any measures to protect against it for the small number that will do this. Provided realm pops are kept low.