Dark nights?

Classic Discussion
So if they keep the original unchanged i take it we will have day/night cycles and changing weather
We have day/night cycles today. Just as we did back then.
10/12/2017 23:10Posted by Runedag

What? Have you ever quested at night in Duskwood Vanilla >> Cata?
Day/night cycles was added in end of vanilla, right?
There have always been day-night cycles. The nights have just been darker in Classic.
And weather effects were added during vanilla, in like patch 1.5.

I guess we'll have darker nights and weather will atleast be added at some point
Nights and weather on retail are nothing like they used to be in vanilla. The nights were much darker and more atmospheric and weather, maid more sense, rain in particular with it hitting objects and stopping instead of it just being an effect on your screen that turned on or off depending on if you were inside or outside.

Going back on weather quality to make the game run better on older hardware and reducing the darkness of nights just so everyone could always see everything from any distance really wrecked a lot of the atmosphere of the game.

I'm really hoping classic will have real nights and weather like vanilla did.
Dark nights, yes please.
I remember back in Classic being in Tanaris at night. Looking at the desert and the moon was shining. I would just sit back and look at the screen. God bless whoever created that zone and view at night. My best view in all my playtime i remember.
10/12/2017 23:07Posted by Rovers
So if they keep the original unchanged i take it we will have day/night cycles and changing weather

Changing weather isn't in until 1.10
10/12/2017 23:14Posted by Rovers
10/12/2017 23:10Posted by Runedag

What? Have you ever quested at night in Duskwood Vanilla >> Cata?

Yes i have, and it was not as dark as people made it out to be. Why?
Been using the inky black potions but sometimes i just have to turn the light back on.

Some area's are really pitch black.

I can see why they changed it. But i don't understand why they din't just make it an option in the settings, turned off default
There's no Vanilla without nights and weather.
11/12/2017 17:38Posted by Rojin
I remember back in Classic being in Tanaris at night. Looking at the desert and the moon was shining. I would just sit back and look at the screen. God bless whoever created that zone and view at night. My best view in all my playtime i remember.

I have EXACTLY the same memories. Amazing zone, too bad they flooded third part of it, !@#$ed up quests and made painfuly cliche Uldum.

Definitely Tanaris, Tirisfal Glades when raining, old Barrens, passing through Dark Portal all amazing memories.

Funny thing Blizzard managed to destroy all that epic stuff.

Dark nigts and weather is a must!
x
x
10/12/2017 23:41Posted by Wîlliamx
Day/night cycles was added in end of vanilla, right?

No, that was the weather effects feature. Patch 1.10

The day/night cycle was part of the game from day one. Well, since the beta actually.

It was also a lot darker during the night because the only light we had was coming from the moon, rather than the pathetic atmospheric lighting they added later on which makes it look like mid-day/evening 24/7 almost.

10/12/2017 23:48Posted by Runnable
There have always been day-night cycles. The nights have just been darker in Classic.
And weather effects were added during vanilla, in like patch 1.5.

I guess we'll have darker nights and weather will atleast be added at some point

The nights after vanilla were and still are pathetic in comparison.

These days, it looks like meh, daytime regardless of what time it actually is in-game.

It has never looked like an actual night-time since vanilla.

A lot of the reasons for them to remove it was that crybabi... Sorry, people using stone-age computers or laptops from the late 90's refused to upgrade, and as the ever catering developer, Blizzard bent over and catered to said cry.. People..

As i've said earlier. Back then, the only light we had during the night was coming from the moon, and it created an amazing atmosphere and visual effect as it passed over our heads, casting shadows and reflections on the ground.

Weather effects got added in patch 1.10 and it looked amazing, especially the rainstorms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqEkIH52lrQ

What i don't understand is that they removed a feature they had spent 5 years developing.. Makes no sense to bend over to the crybabies and throw away something that cost a lot of resources to put into the game. From a business point of view, it just makes no sense at all, since there will always be crybabies no matter what. They're a minority at best, sadly an extremely vocal minority..

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go get a bit more drunk, while waiting for WoW Classic..

I know..
^As a player playing mostly at night i am happy there is not pitch dartk for the random schoolkid that goes to bed at 8pm every night and only play on the days.

It is depressing enough as it is.
12/12/2017 07:58Posted by Runedag
^As a player playing mostly at night i am happy there is not pitch dartk for the random schoolkid that goes to bed at 8pm every night and only play on the days.

It is depressing enough as it is.

What's depressing? That you sleep all day and play all night?

People want dark nights because they enjoy them, not because they want to punish others that stay up longer
Sounds good to me. The game feels even more immersive when it has a clear day/night cycle that affects the visuals and landscape.

I would appreciate if Blizzard had a week when nights would be so dark that you actually couldn't see before and you would need torches or items that light your path (something like what they were aiming for still in beta). Making world even more dangerous. This could be a fun halloween theme for example that wouldn't last forever.

Before anyone gets mad. I don't ask for this. It's just a fun idea that I like to play with as we had a topic like this.

Edit: I just got another twist for this idea. Being so dark that whenever you try open the map outdoors with no light you would not see your location in a greyed map and your minimap would have stopped working also. You would be lost in wilderness. :)
Vanilla never had particularly dark nights. Of course that is a matter of perception, and it was darker compared to now. But it was still a joke in terms of immersion.