Server cap at 2500 players

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
Perhaps there just should be separate accounts and subscriptions for Classic players. That way I wouldn't have to be afraid of wasting time on retail wow in case I get drunk or get a really really bad brainfart. Also, that would spare us from the tourists.
20/11/2017 14:08Posted by Runedag
Rather a super high cap from the start than to few and too many servers. 80-90% that starts on them at launch will be tourists that will not be there one month in to the release and if you have too few at the get go you will have Ghostservers when the tourists leave.

I don't think it would play out that way. The 10k player server will still have a queue on launch day. Then most people new to vanilla leave and you end up with 10k players still, and consequently game play is nothing like in the original.

I think there are two options that are good long term, and both leave the player cap at or slightly above vanilla numbers. One option is to just accept that the launch is going to suck. This means that you don't have many servers and instead opt to have long queue times. The second option is to launch way too many servers than is reasonable in the long term, and then you later merge them and accept the bad pr that follows.

I suppose a third option is to use modern cross realm and phasing technology to ease the symptoms of having too many people in one area. This would ruin Classic unless it was entirely and permanently disabled in the weeks following launch.
You are wrong here
Balancing and changing the game is WAAY different than changing the server cap.
But it doesn't matter to me
It'll be a blessing to only have like 2.5-3.5 players on one realm in the beginning, so leveling is not as much of a pain and we do not need things like dynamic respawns.

But if the pop cap stays that low, they'll have to add cross realm BGs at one point
20/11/2017 14:03Posted by Zerics
Most of us seem to be agreeing on a number between 2.500-5.000.

Now we just need to find a solution for after the hype, if some servers lose 50%-70% of the playerbase which is plausible, how will this be done, free migration, merge or something completly out of the box?
Just merge if necessary if it turns out there were too many tourists. Better sooner than later, imo.
20/11/2017 10:06Posted by Pietarinveli
20/11/2017 06:39Posted by Wîlliamx
For you NO CHANGE purists. That's the fact. Vanilla WoW had a 2.5k server cap in the beginning. If you really don't want any changes this should be the server cap. We could increase to 3.5k later as they did in vanilla.

As you said, we can have 3,5k because we had that in Vanilla.

Other than that, what's even the point of this thread? Are you trying desperately to find a single thing Classic community wants changed, so you could go "HAHA you want changes! Bring in the flying mounts!"?

That truly is the testament for the toxic Retail community...
I just proved that people against optional visual improvement "purists" are okay with game changing settings like increasing the player cap. But yes its a "hahaha" because new graphics wont affect the gameplay itself which an increased player cap will do.
it may stay very popular for a long time. all this young people that has never try'd it may like it and stick with it.

just saying.. nobody know's how this will go.
20/11/2017 16:31Posted by Wîlliamx
20/11/2017 10:06Posted by Pietarinveli

As you said, we can have 3,5k because we had that in Vanilla.

Other than that, what's even the point of this thread? Are you trying desperately to find a single thing Classic community wants changed, so you could go "HAHA you want changes! Bring in the flying mounts!"?

That truly is the testament for the toxic Retail community...
I just proved that people against optional visual improvement "purists" are okay with game changing settings like increasing the player cap. But yes its a "hahaha" because new graphics wont affect the gameplay itself which an increased player cap will do.

You proved what? Handful of people said things and it's a stated fact now?

Did you know that 99,9% of the players here are Retail players? So how do you turn their talk into Classic community's opinion?
20/11/2017 17:37Posted by Pietarinveli
20/11/2017 16:31Posted by Wîlliamx
...I just proved that people against optional visual improvement "purists" are okay with game changing settings like increasing the player cap. But yes its a "hahaha" because new graphics wont affect the gameplay itself which an increased player cap will do.

Did you know that 99,9% of the players here are Retail players? So how do you turn their talk into Classic community's opinion?

Don't ask me to prove anything. You are making up statistics here. I proved my point, there is a bunch of hypocrites here.
20/11/2017 17:44Posted by Wîlliamx
20/11/2017 17:37Posted by Pietarinveli

Don't ask me to prove anything. You are making up statistics here. I proved my point, there is a bunch of hypocrites here.

You quite literally got an opinion of bit over ten players in a forum that until week ago served only 100% toxic Retail community.

Sad!
I imagine those poor starting mobs queued by randomly spawned new players. Wow.
20/11/2017 16:30Posted by Alagner
20/11/2017 14:03Posted by Zerics
Most of us seem to be agreeing on a number between 2.500-5.000.

Now we just need to find a solution for after the hype, if some servers lose 50%-70% of the playerbase which is plausible, how will this be done, free migration, merge or something completly out of the box?
Just merge if necessary if it turns out there were too many tourists. Better sooner than later, imo.

I can agree on that.

Blizzard has to be open with this in the beginning and try to make people understand that there is a big possibility, in that way it should be fine, don't think ripping off the band aid will be popular, but instead be open with the community in how they are planning to solve the issue.
20/11/2017 06:44Posted by Wîlliamx
Also no BG at release.

For you NO CHANGE purists. That's the fact. Vanilla WoW had a 2.5k server cap in the beginning. If you really don't want any changes this should be the server cap. We could increase to 3.5k later as they did in vanilla.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay <3 sounds goooood <3 <3
on private servers, there's 10600 players online on peakhours in vanilla, and that gets rather laggy, i doubt it wouldn' t get laggy on blizzservers either. However capped at 8.000 seems to be great for no lag, and incredibly much fun in open world + lots of instances to go to, lots of tanks, lots of healers lots of variable in classes to do content with. even if people are in BWL gear, there's still tons of new players doing brd-ubrs etc.

Cap at 8.000 would be great

However, making highcap servers and "lowcap" servers would indeed be the best idea, so people can chose what to play at

so with a server cap of 2.5k or 3.5k How many server do you Expect will be up when they release classic? just asking due to the fact that you will most likely not be able to play it on launch with that low cap they will all be full.
21/11/2017 05:12Posted by Mykris

so with a server cap of 2.5k or 3.5k How many server do you Expect will be up when they release classic? just asking due to the fact that you will most likely not be able to play it on launch with that low cap they will all be full.
Doesn't matter. A 10k cap server can also be 4x 2.5k cap server with modern server infrastructure.
Having recently played on a certain private realm with 10k+ population at peak times I'd like to say that some aspects of it weren't very good. For example, you had to fight your way both into the quest cave and out of it with mobs respawning on top of you constantly. Made early zones and quests like "Twisted Hatred" and "The Relics of Wakening" so much fun.
Waiting with 15 more baby night elves at the cabinet to see who can snatch the emerald dreamcatcher first wasn't either.

Yeah I get that, private server shenanigans yadda yadda, but unless they make dynamic tuning way more granular and responsive across the zones i'd expect the same outcome. So a cap around 3k-ish seems sensible to me.
It should be that sweet spot so you have no issues finding groups but if you grind at night you're on your own. Probably around 3.5k.
Oh !@#$ no. Dont make it 10k. The leveling experience in vanilla was really slow. Having that many people not only makes the server feel more alive but have you seen lightbringer on elysium? 10k people its a %^-*ing hellhole.