Time travel or just new servers?

Classic Discussion
Do you think Blizzard will make it like "time travel" so our character will have to go to time portal or something like that to move into vanilla world and become lvl1 hero there? With an option to travel back to modern and get his stuff back, and then anytime go to the past again and continue its journey? Or there will be just new servers in the list with all new characters?
11/12/2017 09:42Posted by Ангбандец
Do you think Blizzard will make it like "time travel" so our character will have to go to time portal or something like that to move into vanilla world and become lvl1 hero there? With an option to travel back to modern and get his stuff back, and then anytime go to the past again and continue its journey? Or there will be just new servers in the list with all new characters?

From technical term I thing that it would be easier(cheaper) to run different servers.

That way single server does not have to run 2 sets of huge data.
This is all opinion, based on a basic idea of how wow client/server works and overall general development experience. Nothing more than conjecture at this point (which is all any of us can really say so..)

How I see it is that they will either add the function to the existing client, or more likely make a "Classic" client (which will be the current client core, with some kind of modular support for classic content).

There will then be a separate set of servers. So, your current battle.net login will be used (no comment as to whether a separate/differentiated license will be needed) and when it launches a set of classic realms will be listed. You can create characters and play 1-60 in as close as they can get to the original game experience.

The reason I say modular, is that I'm sure they're aware that there's interest in at least some of the expansions, and I think doing it this way would allow them to add the expansions as tabs to the realm list, if/when they choose to add them.

I'm quite interested to see how they implement it for real though.

I'm 99% sure it will be entirely separate from current realms and not some kind of caverns of time thing on standard realms.. That would be a very tacky way to introduce this in my opinion.
It's not an add-on feature that is meant to be connected to the retail game.
11/12/2017 09:42Posted by Ангбандец

There's going to be a tab in the battlenet app to select WoW Classic.

No, you can't bring your character back in time the way you picture it.

Once you select WoW Classic, you'll load up the original client and you'll have to make new characters.

It's completely separate from the retail version with its own servers.
The less it has to do with retail the better. I would not like for Blizzard to get the wrong idea that anything positive can come from influencing Classic with retail in any way.

If they are smart there will even be different subs for Classic and retail to keep a bit more distance between the two. I don't even mind if the Classic sub cost is higher than the retail one.
Pretty sure there will be a tab, just like the PTR server option.
Lorewise it could be linked to retail. Broxigar traveled to past but couldn't go back to his time and was key person in history for Azeroth being molded the way we know it today. Another example being players moving to past in WoD which I still don't understand.

So all in all there could be a plot that both factions are sending forces in the past in order to destroy another faction in Battle for Azeroth and this results in Classic (Explains why both factions are more efficient than before and knows how to deal certain encounters because it's recent history for them and they or their ancestors have experienced this before).

Should there be a link? Probably not as it pisses off way too many people and i'm not certain Blizzard knows how to deal with time traveling. Anyways the game has to be separate from retail and you should not be able to go back and forth as you please.
12/12/2017 10:09Posted by Dileny
Another example being players moving to past in WoD which I still don't understand.

WoD was a look back at "Warcraft: Orcs & Humans". With the added twist of us meddling in history.

The Garrison system was how we used to play the Single player game(s). Build a base.. etc..

A very awesome idea, albeit not so masterfully executed as it could have been :)

/Offtopic
As was previously said, it will probably just be another game region like PTR, Beta or Tournament realms.
It would be a new server separeted from retail but i think is easy for Blizzard to also add original Azeroth zones to retail servers with a portal back in time from Caverns of Time.
Needless to say but if it's anything like linked to retail or in worst case scenario a cavern of times thing ''server in a server'' people will just stay on private servers.

They couldn't possibly be that dumb, for real.

The crowd wants vanilla servers to get as far away as possbile from the microtransaction, android log in check back later, get-your-epics-in-2-minutes, kiddo bull!@#$ world of warcraft that is retail.
Why would anyone even want this feature...
interesting idea