Shadow Priest Changes 29/11/2017

Class Development
With the next weekly maintenance, we'll be shifting around some of Shadow Priests' damage sources with the goal of improving their AOE damage performance in short-duration multitarget situations - namely dungeon trash packs.

The nature and lifetime of dungeon trash packs makes it hard for Shadow Priests to ramp up to their full damage potential as part of their rotation. These changes should improve that situation, with a mostly neutral effect for overall performance in longer-duration raid fights.

• Void Eruption
    • No longer deals a separate damage event for each of your Shadow Word: Pain or Vampiric Touch on each target. Instead, deals a single damage event to all targets that have EITHER your Shadow Word: Pain or Vampiric Touch.
    • Void Eruption damage increased by 700%
  • Shadow Crash
    • Cooldown reduced to 20 sec. (down from 30 sec)
    • Insanity generation increased to 20. (up from 15)
    • Missile speed increased by 60%.
  • Mind Sear (Passive)
    • Damage increased by 50%.
  • Heart of the Void (Legendary)
    • Increases Void Eruption’s damage by 75% (down from 300%) and heals you for 25% (down from 40%) of the damage done.
    • Developers Note: This is compensation for the Void Eruption buff. The overall effect is mostly neutral.
  • Shadow Word: Pain/Vampiric Touch
    • Damage reduced by 4%.
    • Developers Note: This is compensation for the Void Eruption buff in extended fights.
Lore delivers excellent news this fine morning <3
Suggestion for a Shadow Priest talent in BfA:

Shadow Erruption:
It would allow you to activate a lesser damage buff earlier for some amount of instantly spent Insanity.
If you wouldn't use the ability until Insanity is full, Void Erruption would replace Shadow Erruption and work as usual.

This talent could give the SP some flexibility to choose whether to spend or save Insanity depending on the fight.

btw: You could replace the Talent "Misery", why does it even exist? SW:P does not cost anything other than an additional press of a button, you could just make a macro instead.
This are definitely welcome changes, I'm looking forward to trying them!
I welcome these changes, however, we will still need a mechanic which allows us to spread our dots just like balance druids or affli locks. One option could be that Shadowcrash spreads SW:P to all enemies hit.
I am pleased that this was accepted.
Nevertheless, I do not understand the whole effort where it would have been easier!
the easiest solution would have been to make Shadow Crash a standard spell, such as: Mind Blast.
to reduce the CD from 30 sec to 10 sec. to set the generating delusion to 5 per hit target. Likewise, he should no longer be able to take his place in a chosen place, but be directed towards a goal.
clearly now one says, that now a hole in the talent tree arises, but well just insert mind spike again - must be only a gap filler, it will not be used, which remains the same as currently with Shadow Crash.

well, the shadow crash hits faster and causes DMG.

but I think so that the problem for SP in m + is still far from being rudimentary solved and the SP continues to be mainly rejected as invited!

so that one could have spared the remaining changes including the perceived NERV of the dots! :)

@ Blizz: Maybe you think about it that way again! I feel my idea as a principle possibility as a very good and profitable or as an optimal solution to make the SP more attractive for m +!

Even with the change I think I will not skate a Shadow Crash and give up his Master Talent Legacy of the Void! :)

also the increase of Void Eruption is nice though ... only most of the add-ons are in M + Tot or as good as before the SP got into the Void shape ... so the resulting DMG of the Void Eruption would go nowhere! :)

or do I see it as the only one :D?
Pls consider changing the legendary ring to have synergy with these changes
I'm just going to come in here and say, yet again, that whilst these changes are probably on the good side, the fact that you didn't test these in the wild in any way and didn't consider PvP, where Shadow Priest AoE is already notoriously insane and where Legendaries don't exist, worries me a lot.

You gave your players no chance to react to or try out the changes. You gave PvP'ers in particular no chance to point out that this is going to cause problems for PvP, which I am convinced that it will.

I don't think hotfixing a full patch worth of class changes with no warning is OK. We're going to have a lot of confused non-pro Shadow Priests tomorrow.
This is nice, I'd love to see a change like this to demo and affli warlocks too
Why did these changes take so long? We gave you the feedback that shadow had no AOE during beta. Had to endure having no AOE during the 3 chest speed run days and when dungeons were difficult. I'm sorry but when you have to buff a spell by 700% you know you've screwed up.
22/11/2017 08:18Posted by Ishayoe
You gave your players no chance to react to or try out the changes. You gave PvP'ers in particular no chance to point out that this is going to cause problems for PvP, which I am convinced that it will.

I don't think hotfixing a full patch worth of class changes with no warning is OK. We're going to have a lot of confused non-pro Shadow Priests tomorrow.

Those changes to live the 29th with the new patch, and the new unannounced PvP-changes for the new season.

The new PvP-changes will most likely have something to reduce this buff to VE, but hopefully buff SP elsehow since SP's are quite horrible in high rated 3s.
I sometimes wonder if people that implement this changes even play the !@#$ing game.... There are fundamental issues with shadow DPS especialy T21 and you do this retarded %^-*...
22/11/2017 09:22Posted by Terrorkkar
I sometimes wonder if people that implement this changes even play the !@#$ing game.... There are fundamental issues with shadow DPS especialy T21 and you do this retarded %^-*...

This. The shadow crash change makes no sense. You buff void eruption damage by 700% meaning you wanna spam it more, meaning you want lotv, not shadow crash. Nobody will ever pick it. I don't know man, next expansion I'm just rolling a triple DPS spec - 3 times the chance of not having a dead spec.
Hey Lore. This is a step in the right direction so many many thanks for acknowledging AoE is a real issue for us but still doesn’t make it worth staying in Shadow to do anything other than current world content. To me something is still broken when Shadow exclusive players like me.. still feel doing old content “requires” switching spec (I switch to Holy because I can’t even pretend to understand how Discipline works) if you don’t want to constantly cast DoTs and cause repetitive wrist strain/injury.

I for one still implore you to give us some form of weak AoE like the original Mind Sear back.

That said I look forward to seeing how this works in old content which is an area that Shadow AoE is a serious issue and one you are encouraging to occur when players to go back with pets and mounts incentives. Seems bad design to encourage something but make it difficult for certain specs.
I may have quit raiding but these changes are very welcome. I still think the legendary ring is the most appallingly overlooked legendary in the game, but with only one major content patch left I suppose it's too late to really change that anyway.

I really really really hope we get a way to spread our dots in BfA that isn't as absolutely abhorrent as the ring.

also this triggered me:
22/11/2017 07:00Posted by Îllyria
btw: You could replace the Talent "Misery", why does it even exist? SW:P does not cost anything other than an additional press of a button, you could just make a macro instead.
No, Pain costs a GCD, you can't cast them both at once. This is a horrible suggestion, as Misery is one of the few talents that actually helps in M+ (situationally).
Hello Lore,

These are good news, but I am not sure that it will solve the problem, which is that Shadow is the only damage spec that does not have a base AoE spell.

When going back to older content (and by "older" I include Broken Isles) it is far more effective to switch to Holy, stack up mobs and Holy Nova: it does more damage, and it takes less time.

Doing old raids for transmog and pets is too tiresome as Shadow: you don't have time to Shadow Word: Pain a mob and use Mind Flay, because the mob is close to dead when the GCD is over, so there will only be one tick of Mind Flay if you're lucky (when the mob isn't already dead). It feels weird to need to spec in Holy (a healing spec) to do more damage than the DPS spec :(

Please reconsider the change you made in 7.1.5 and give us back Mind Sear. It doesn't have to be powerful, but just bring it back.
I remain with my conviction that there is only one current possibility to adjust the Sp in the AOE accordingly and also so that e.g. Holy Nova is not better and in some situations it makes more sense to switch to Holy.
And this would be Shadow Crash to make the standard spell as I have already mentioned Design Technically as a suggestion above!

Mind Flay would also become unimportant - both as an active and passive talent.
All other changes would be unnecessary and could be discarded. Likewise, one would not have to do the work of the revision on this anymore :)

Shadow Crash simply does BUMMS if it's usable, and it will not, despite the intended or announced change, as it still has to compete with Legacy of the Void in the Talent Tree, and the clear loser is and remains! :)
22/11/2017 10:24Posted by Elthy
Hello Lore,

These are good news, but I am not sure that it will solve the problem, which is that Shadow is the only damage spec that does not have a base AoE spell.

This.

SP is just horrible in situation where there is a lot of mobs with small healthpool, clicking each one and apply SP and VT is just ridicilous, frustrating and you do less damage than a healer or tank.

Plus old content, where you can not pull like 30 mobs and kill them with 1 spell, instead you need to click on each one..

Basicly fix would be Mind Sear like it was before patch 7.1.5
Make Void Eruption Instant cast.
I member when deathknights in Wotlk would spread shadowpriests diseases to other mobs..

I member!