Classic will have updated graphics

Classic Discussion
Proof: They used gnomes' updated model to depict Chromie in the WoW Classic Trailer
Straws - I feel the clutching
In that case, only retail players would play it, and they would leave it after lvl 5.
06/12/2017 04:46Posted by Haelohim
Proof: They used gnomes' updated model to depict Chromie in the WoW Classic Trailer

it proofs nothing and i am sure you just wanna piss of some classic players ^^
06/12/2017 08:29Posted by Radiskull
In that case, only retail players would play it, and they would leave it after lvl 5.

Rolls eyes, yeah updated graphics will stop anyone playing Classic...... If you are passionate enough to spend time posting on Classic forums you are not going to not play if they update the graphics.

Not that i am calling for that, i would be happy with the original graphics, and would definitely prefer the original models and combat animations. Personally the best case in my opinion is to keep all original models, and just upgrade the texture quality. Generally graphic designers make textures that are far higher quality and then are downsized, so it shouldn't take too much work to find the original source textures and get hi-res versions of them. Hell make it an optional download versions... 480p originals for the crazy purists, 1080p grade textures as the standard, and some lovely sexy 4k grade textures for people who have the hardware to make use of them.
06/12/2017 04:46Posted by Haelohim

Troll detected :-)
true LUL
Yes, Chromie is using the updated model as she sets back time, which means it's a representation of current WoW.

0/10, troll on my friend, troll on.
Of course it will have updated graphics. Everything is going to be upgraded. We must deter the private server players.
06/12/2017 09:33Posted by Varyxian
Yes, Chromie is using the updated model as she sets back time, which means it's a representation of current WoW.

0/10, troll on my friend, troll on.

Yes true, but...

Now Chromie created another reality in the multiverse, where future technology proliferates to the past and creates another timeline, another course of events for vanilla.

Remember, you go back in time with knowledge of (possible) future events.

Like the fact that TBC/MoP/Cata/WoD/Legion was a pile of #### so you do not make that mistake.

But knowing what mistakes to avoid, does not make you immune to other mistakes that could happen while avoiding known ones.

damn, I hate temporal mechanics in fiction. :D
Chromie was depicted at the time of modern wow before turning back time. So your "proof" means nothing.
06/12/2017 08:53Posted by Fufina

Rolls eyes, yeah updated graphics will stop anyone playing Classic...... If you are passionate enough to spend time posting on Classic forums you are not going to not play if they update the graphics.

Not that i am calling for that, i would be happy with the original graphics, and would definitely prefer the original models and combat animations. Personally the best case in my opinion is to keep all original models, and just upgrade the texture quality. Generally graphic designers make textures that are far higher quality and then are downsized, so it shouldn't take too much work to find the original source textures and get hi-res versions of them. Hell make it an optional download versions... 480p originals for the crazy purists, 1080p grade textures as the standard, and some lovely sexy 4k grade textures for people who have the hardware to make use of them.

I do not think people would play Classic for graphics. Will it be original or new. It does not matter. Funnality counts. No easier than the addition of wotlk (DF).
Graphics doesn't mean only textures. More important is lighting, shadows, ambient occlusion, which would be easier to implement. Updated textures/models are simply unreal. Next thing is AUTHENTIC vanilla experience.

Btw. Troll thread.
06/12/2017 08:53Posted by Fufina
I'm not against upgraded graphics as an option. If the original graphics is not available, however, I'll think very hard about playing and I'd tend towards not playing.

Ambience is very important for me and Vanilla WoW has that in spades. And just as an example I found I vastly prefer the original view distance and field of view (FOV) to later expansions' increased ones. The original world was designed with the original view distance in mind and the narrower FOV makes everything look larger and more intimidating. The original graphics with all it's "deficiencies" is very beautiful and coherent. Just piling on technical "improvements" like larger view distance and FOV, larger textures, more polygons, doesn't necessarily make it better. It's extremely hard to improve on a well executed original style and later WoW expansions largely fail in that regard. (I'm not talking about new areas, which were designed with the new technology in mind, but the old areas did suffer.)

If you seriously think people will quit after 5 levels becuase it looks nice you are crazy. If anything it may draw more people in.
07/12/2017 13:12Posted by Demostravius

If you seriously think people will quit after 5 levels becuase it looks nice you are crazy. If anything it may draw more people in.

He didn't say they would quit because of graphics, he means they will quit because they are retail players. Retail players like retail, where the game holds your hand and tells you where to go and what to do next, mobs are zerged with one button ect.

He doubts most retail players have the drive to make it to high level in classic. And I think he is right.
Radiskull's WoW:Classic review?

The original world map, is amazing. Playing the old world, the old quests, with old spells. Amazing. I missed this so much.

The old instances with the difficulty, the slow progression. Amazing job. Everything is just as it was in retail vanilla back in the day.

PvP, and World PvP. Back again. How I missed thee. It's like being transported back in time.

However, the textures have too many pixels, and are not how I remember. 1/10 would not play again!!!!!!1111

In all seriousness. If they had the new graphics (and I think there's a fair chance they will), then I'm fairly sure it will be possible to disable and bring it back to how it was. It's also my preference that they set it to old game graphics by default.

But, would I boycott the whole thing because they enabled or even forced new models and graphics? Not a chance.
I don't understand why Vanilla players don't want the game to look beautiful. The mechanics, quests, old world, dungeons, raids, everything vanilla had is supposed to be there giving them the same experience. Can a guy who wants to play Vanilla elaborate on why he wants the game to look as ugly as it looked back then? (I understand that in 2004 World of Warcraft had some of the best graphics compared to the other games of the time, but today it's just ugly. I'm not trying to mock the way it looked back then, but in 2018 something like that would be unacceptable)
It didn’t look ugly. It had character. Not everyone likes the same thing. There are already plenty of games with Legion style modern graphics to choose from, including Legion. They are bringing back an old game. I see it differently through my eyes and I prefer what I see.

It’s funny how some promoters of modern graphics insist that graphics aren’t important and new graphics won’t spoil the game, but in the same breath say the old ones are unacceptable, ugly and practically unplayable. :O

Of course how the game looks is important, I and many others much prefer the old. The new is too sharp and detailed and leaves nothing to the imagination. It’s lost character, anticipation and ambience imo. I look forward to seeing it as it was, but on a better computer, just as much as I’m looking forward to the rest of it. For me the old style is an important part of the game as a whole. :)