Artifact appearances spec specific

General
Is not cool. It cuts the potential for a creative expression of individuals.

Maybe i don't really grasp the lore or something, but it was still xydemonhunter who got kruul and the same xydemonhunter who jumped over some deadly ice and killed a mage and sha of mage tower.

I sure understand that my warr won't handle 2 ashbringer-look-a-like but c'mon Ion... C'mon.

Or at least someone enlighten me why is this logical so i can join the affirmative crowd
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Because...each artifact is unique onto itself ..sure one can make some small adjustments with a challange or "hidden" skin ..i can put some spikes onto my Ulthalesh but its still the same scythe

But to say ...make my scythe a talking floating head which swirls around me mocking everything else ? Yeah cant claim im really wielding Ulthalesh then can i <.<

also "creative expression" is when you make something you like yourself..put together pieces to form a whole...just not blatantly copy-paste something onto something else...called a hipster :P
16/11/2017 23:35Posted by Aldrachi
Is not cool. It cuts the potential for a creative expression of individuals.

lol

What did you expect they are spec specific artifacts.
well what did i expect... i can mog heal panda lego cloak on my rogue or guldan replica staff on my warrior you see... or a plate bikini for that mather...
i dont believe it should be spec locked as i like to switch weapons depending on gear and vice versa and i am left with a lot more options.
17/11/2017 00:22Posted by Aldrachi
well what did i expect... i can mog heal panda lego cloak on my rogue or guldan replica staff on my warrior you see... or a plate bikini for that mather...
i dont believe it should be spec locked as i like to switch weapons depending on gear and vice versa and i am left with a lot more options.

None of which are spec specific. Grow up.
Spec specific appearances for spec specific weapons built with spec specific stories for spec specific abilities which can only be used by spec specific specs.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Don't worry, I'm sure in another day or two you'll go back to having RL panic attacks over not being able to be high elves.
I dislike this restriction too and I can't understand the reason. Most of the artifacts are spec specific only beacuse arbitrary decision during Legion development. And most of the appearances don't even look anything like the original artifact.

What's wrong with providing more options for transmog?
Yes, there needs to be a suggestion thread for artifact transmog rules in the next expansion - I hope the community and the devs can discuss this either during the beta or the forums. CLASS-specific artifict transmog restriction makes sense. We already have the DK and Pally Nethershard vendor weapon looks as class-restricted, and it makes sense to have class-specific weps like Ashbringer, Apocalypse, etc. be class-specific.

However, artifact appearance transmog should not be SPEC-specific, and here is why:

1) Wep type transmog rules already apply (e.g. prot warr can't mog into Warswords of the Valarjar, WW monk can't run around stabbing people with Sheilun) so the spec identity will remain intact. But if a mage in BfA gets a staff, why would they not be able to mog it into any staff appearance? Why shouldn't a hunter mog their random BfA bow drop into a mechanical bow, or a crossbow or a gun?

2) The unique spec identity of artifact weps already doesn't exist - we have shadowy skins for the holy priest staff, we have icy skins for the blood dk axe, fiery skins for the forst mage staff, etc...

3) No other items are spec-restricted. The Firebird mage tier with red flame - usable by frost and arcane. The Bearmantle druid set - usable by cats and boomkins and trees. The Poisoner's rogue set - usable by shadowy ninjas and pirates. Point is, we already can use looks that have ties to the class fantasy rather than spec-specific fantasy (not to mention other classes can also use those set lookalikes), so adding spec-specific artifact mog restriction would be inconsistent and unnecessary.

4) Huge reduction in customizability. Being locked into the same single weapon for Legion was frustrating, but it made gameplay sense - the abilities of the spec were tied to this specific item. But with no ties to our weps in BfA, why should the looks be restricted? Why shouldn't a fire mage who gets a staff drop be able to use a nice fiery Ebonchill skin for example, or a shadow priest with a staff use a cool void explosion Tuure skin? Having to farm for specific awkward wep types if we want to use the high-quality legion skins we earned is an unnecessary hurdle.

That's my two cents on the topic: class-resticted and weapon type restricted makes sense, but why spec-restricted? I'm open to thoughts but I don't personally see any reason why spec-restricted needs to be a thing.

PS. Re: Helreginn - We already can't mog 1H + OH into a staff, never could, will probably never happen. This is about same type weps, as all transmogs are: like if your demo lock gets a staff drop in BfA, you should be able to use Ulthalesh and Scepter skins on it (instead of farming for daggers and offhands forever or being unable to use legion skins otherwise). Especially since we can already mog any bow skin over the BM gun for example - so why shouldn't the MM bow look be moggable onto a random BfA bow or gun drop for a BM hunter when artifacts will be depleted skins nothing more.

PPS. I can also understand if some people don't care, but just because some people don't want to do something, shouldn't mean everybody else should be unable to do so. So please even if you don't care about your transmog, support non-spec-restricted artifact skin mogging in BfA, to support players simply having more choices :)
I think this is an important discussion, and not unreasonable.

Spec restrictions may make sense in lore for *some* artefacts, but certainly not all of them.

Case in point, Hunters, only in Legion was it laid out that Beast Master hunters were gun-centric... having played BM for the majority of my time since Beta 13 years ago, I've always favoured bows with the odd exception, and have had Titanstrike transmogged the entire expansion.

Now I am gearing up my MM so that I can get the Mage Tower appearance.. seeing Ion say this would now be tied forever to MM just doesn't make sense..

The lore doesn't tie the spec to the weapon greatly, in this case Spec-Restriction doesn't make sense.

Ashbringer being wielded in Holy, or Truthguard being wielded by my Ret Pally doesn't make sense.. for those lore/mechanic reasons, Spec Restriction makes sense…

The Deadwind Harvester being carried by a destro warlock works, the Demon Skull being used by Destro does not.. Blanket restrictions may be easiest, but it feels bad man.

Please Blizzard, I get the thought process on Spec-Restrictions on Artefacts, but can we have that only for weapons that actually make sense, not just blanket applied.. If I won’t be able to Transmog my MM bows to my favourite class BM, I simply will give up trying to unlock those appearances.. I can make that sacrifice when it makes sense i.e. Ashbringer in Holy, but for many weapons it’s just a bad call that makes no lore or mechanic sense.
I've done the Mage Tower challenge and hidden skin farming on several specs, just to unlock extra skins to use as transmog when Legion is over. A good example is my Demon Hunter where in my opinion all the best looking weapon models are for Havoc. I don't like any of the Vengeance models and was looking forward to mogging some of the Havoc skins instead in the next expansion.

Or take mages for example. The hidden skin for Arcane which is a staff with the sheep head on top of it. All mage specs can cast polymorph, but only one spec can transmog the polymorph staff? That makes no sense at all. We've spent so much time unlocking these appearances and it's super annoying that you'll only be able to use 1/3 of them if you normally play just 1 spec.
18/11/2017 09:26Posted by Cromn
The lore doesn't tie the spec to the weapon greatly, in this case Spec-Restriction doesn't make sense.

Ashbringer being wielded in Holy, or Truthguard being wielded by my Ret Pally doesn't make sense.. for those lore/mechanic reasons, Spec Restriction makes sense…

The Deadwind Harvester being carried by a destro warlock works, the Demon Skull being used by Destro does not.. Blanket restrictions may be easiest, but it feels bad man.

I get what you mean, but those 'lore/mechanics' reasons are already covered by transmog rules pretty much, so I'd say that spec-restriction doesn't make that much sense in any of those class cases because artifacts will be 'used up' in Legion so it's just skins in BfA.

There is no reason a holy pally couldn't have Ashbringer (wep that looks like Ashbringer) strapped to their back while healing, it does not prevent them from doing their spec thing. Transmog restrictions already prevent a 1H+Shield prot pally from 'defending' with a 2H sword so the wep type restrictions already ensure spec identity - but a ret pally in BfA could totally bash faces with a wep that looks like the Silver Hand 2H mace, and if a holy pally gets a nice int shield, why couldn't it look like Truthguard?

Same with the warlocks, why would having a demon skull prevent destro from setting stuff on fire? If they get a nice 1H + OH combo, couldn't they mog a random book or orb or whatever to look like a demon skull? All locks have an affinity with demons so it doesn't destroy the class fantasy, and they can still set stuff on fire so it doesn't interfere with the spec in any way.

I think most concern for spec identity is already covered by transmog rules - Enh shammies need two 1H weps so they obv won't mog into a shield. But if they get a fist wep drop in BfA, why couldn't they make them look like the Fist of Ra-den? And resto doesn't even use their wep, so why shouldn't a statstick that hangs at their waist look like Doomhammer?

It even fits in lore-wise tbh :P BfA shadow priest returning from an adventure, walking up to a transmogrifier and going:

"Yo, I got this staff right here it has cool stats, but hey have you seen the staff all the disc priests were carrying around during the Legion conflict - of course you have you were here and like aaaall of them were running around with it for two years you couldn't miss it - the one with the book on it yeah. I want this staff to look like that. What do you-- It's literally just a book. Shadow priests can read too okay!!! ... The spec-ist discrimination here is unbelievable... *scoffs* Anyway, yeah just make this random staff look like that yeah, you know stick a book on one end hmh? Will look sooo badass when I shift into shadowform. Yeah that's exactly it; cool, thanks. Laterz!"
I agree, I'd like to use the red unholy sword as blood spec!
+1, I want my sin'dorei themed bow looks for my BM hunter next expansion.
Class and Faction restrictions are already hashing my steez, don't need a third layer.
A third layer that's pretty arbitrary.

My Destro artifact opens rifts? Well, affliction opens black holes, and demonology constantly brings demons in. Presumably through rifts.
Affliction one consumes souls? That's every Warlock spec.
Thal'kiel is... Well he's a floating head and a dagger. The head of a summoner, sure, but still.
The more I think about spec restriction the more ridiculous it is.. at first a few weapons locked to spec outside the already established rules seemed reasonable, but then when I started thinking about all the other items in the game, and even within artefact appearances in game, it just doesn't make sense...

There's fire appearances for frost mages, a store bought item that turns a Titan rifle into a blow...

Certainly for those who complete the Mage Tower challenge they should not be punished by having their hard work limited to one spec... what if Blizzard do a class change and a spec becomes kind of useless for an entire expansion as has been known to happen, do we just lose our challenge appearance for a couple of years and hope the spec is playable next time around?

Reverse this move please Blizzard, and I'll endeavour to unlock as much as I can until BfA and play lots of WoW... otherwise, meh, not much point playing outside my main spec for anything or on any alts.
16/11/2017 23:39Posted by Mithramdir
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Spat out my tea.
You can't be serious. They actually stated this? Well that's pretty lame. I wanted to use the unholy +15 skin as blood next expansion...
Blizzard is hiring extremely stupid developers, there were never specialization locked appearances before and there's no reason to make such restrictions.
Really doubt that Garona would have anything against subtlety rogues using Kingslayers skin, same with fury warriors dualwielding Stromkars.
Unfortunately Blizzard delights themselves in making illogical retarded restrictions in game, really feeling like wasted time myself unlocking appearances that won't be able to use freely after expansion is over.