Do you go for passive or active talents ?

General
passive. simply because my fingers are really shetty at hitting more then 1-6.
27/11/2017 15:46Posted by Razgol

27/11/2017 04:48Posted by Lswindrunner
On every char, I always go for passive. Less to think about.

So many people in one post, that are most likely responsible for Blizzard`s Pruning/Class fantasy changes.

Ty, I can finally play the game on my Mobile device

Use Macros with modifiers!
27/11/2017 06:54Posted by Happymage
i pick what i believe will make me kill mobs faster.
Yeah, pretty much this. Also, it depends on the class and the content. For world content with a rogue for example, all the single target burst talents for Stealth - Kill - Stealth - Repeat :3 For dungeons, more AoE is sadly a necessity. For world content with a warr, just put everything in AoEs, stuns and self-heal buffs and do large AoE mob pulls... Same with lock, when soloing world elites take all the defesive abilities with your demon, but when doing group content with a healer you can ditch those.
Only time I went out of my way to pick one over the other was when I did some solo 'Recruit-a-friend' by duo-boxing. I went for passives since it is less hassle and you don't have to think about your dmg or healing that much. Especially since it was just questing.

Otherwise I just go with what is better suited for my play style (if it doesn't completely gimp me).
Personally, I just go with whatever Icy Veins tells me is good. I don't get bored of this either; it's usually a nice mix of passive and active.
27/11/2017 15:51Posted by Hunterbtw

So many people in one post, that are most likely responsible for Blizzard`s Pruning/Class fantasy changes.

the pruning was done before i used the forum and i didnt like it, so no need to be an a hole.
For me it depends on the class and what the other choices of talents are. On my mage which is my main I always try to play with a recommended set of talents unless I really don't like a certain spell, then I might change it to something more enjoyable to use.

On alts I try to follow recommended talents but not always. If an alt has a lot of already annoying spells or other things to pay attention to such as dots/resource management then I will most likely choose more passive talents. On my destruction warlock for instance I've chosen more passive options as I find it to much watching dots, keeping tabs on shards and controlling the pet all while managing my rotation.
Theorythicly all the talents give the same dps upgrade (execution is a different topic).
Because of this, I pick the talent that I enjoy and/or suitable for my playstyle.
Too much active talent can cripple your rotation (disc priest Schism is hard and manaconsuming to execute)
On this lock I tried the cookicutter powertrip-counduit build, but i did 10% lower dps, while the sim shows 3% better result for it.

I change talent that suits for a end content fight. In hc raid content I just go with a jack-of-all trade build, on mythic, I start to use tranquil mind between fights.
When picking your talents, do you go for passives or actives ?

I sim my character with almost every possible talent choice, except the obviously bad talents, then i stick with the best performing ones.

But i prefer active talents, more buttons to push, knowing when to push them and gaining advantage through putting in some effort is nice.
look up a guide and choose the best stuff after following a build change 1 talent or so because legendaries or whatever.
Active for pve, couse u got more reaction time, passives for pvp, but mainly i try to take the one that does greater single damage boost
<Retracted>

I think you’ll probably find that 80% of the playerbase (and more) play like this and always have played like this.

Top end players are a real small percentage of the whole.
I usually read a guide before
27/11/2017 13:06Posted by Wookake
Taking passives over actives for the sole reason that its "less to think about" hints at you being a bad player

Or it hints that the game (or most of it) doesn't require much from the player.
27/11/2017 21:35Posted by Frixie

I think you’ll probably find that 80% of the playerbase (and more) play like this and always have played like this.

The top end is always a small percentage. There should always be room for skill for those who have the ability and will to master their respective classes.

There is not much room for excellence with current class design. Not very fun to not have anything inherent in the classes to aspire for.
27/11/2017 22:15Posted by Alandrion
27/11/2017 21:35Posted by Frixie

The top end is always a small percentage. There should always be room for skill for those who have the ability and will to master their respective classes.

There is not much room for excellence with current class design. Not very fun to not have anything inherent in the classes to aspire for.

I don’t disagree with you at all; but to label those that aren’t ‘top end’ bad players or blame them for dumbed down classes just because they choose passive abilities is a tad unfair.

As far as I’m concerned it’s far harder to master your class these days than it was in vanilla.
27/11/2017 22:29Posted by Frixie
27/11/2017 22:15Posted by Alandrion
...The top end is always a small percentage. There should always be room for skill for those who have the ability and will to master their respective classes.

I don’t disagree with you at all; but to label those that aren’t ‘top end’ bad players or blame them for dumbed down classes just because they choose passive abilities is a tad unfair.

As far as I’m concerned it’s far harder to master your class these days than it was in vanilla.
I can understand why he wrote it though, even though I agree with you that it is a tad unfair. Many of us are trying to understand why Blizzard did what they did to our beloved classes and many of us feel frsutrated by the lack of care from Blizzard.

Blizzard simplifying classes suggests they try to cater to people who want very simplified gameplay, forgetting all the rest of us.

Well, we have had quite a few expansions since vanilla. What many people want is to have classes more akin to Wotlk-MoP depending on preference. I personally loved MoP, Cata and Wotlk and thought the classes evolved just fine until WoD and Legion came along.

Classes certainly had much more to them back then, especially outside their core rotations, than they do now.