Is the Burning Legion really gone?

General
Isnt it weird how the entire Burning Legion that conquered thousands of worlds as well as "transcend all timelines" somehow got destroyed by killing a couple of big figures in it and a tiny planet which is supposed to be the "headquarters" of the legion that we were able to easily assault?

And now Blizzard posts this:

https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/949279329669627904

I am starting to think this entire Argus campaign was a ruse, the burning legion has not been destroyed D:
demons existed before sargeras, he was just so strong he could control them and the feared him
thanks to sargeras there are so smart and organized because he recruited the smartest guys from all the planets they conquered

i think tichondrius gonna be up to something since he died but not permanently like always
Actually, there's no mention in-game of the Legion having been destroyed, only that the Burning Crusade has ended. Rest assured that powerful and sadistic Demons like Mannoroth, Tichondrius, Mal'ganis and Mephistroth are still out there, and will be ready to take control of the Legion however and whenever they can. And besides, Sargeras is still alive, and who knows what sort of convoluted and intricate plan of evil he's devising in his prison.

I had also hoped that the Mythic ending of Hellfire Citadel was not canon... but alas, as Archimonde was nowhere to be seen in Legion, i guess he's really dead for good.
The Legion has nothing left, if they appear again it'd be because blizzard pulled them out of a place where the sun doesn't shine.

Their home base was ravaged by a small force of Lightforged, Demon Hunters and a few rag-tag friends.

Their leaders are dead.

Sargeras is imprisoned.

Sargeras might come back but I think the Legion itself is gone (Thankfully, they're such a boring villain.

I'm kind of curious what the remaining demons will do now though, maybe take up mercenary work or something?
05/01/2018 15:40Posted by Iresea
I had also hoped that the Mythic ending of Hellfire Citadel was not canon... but alas, as Archimonde was nowhere to be seen in Legion, i guess he's really dead for good.

Besides that loophole, Archimonde got annihilated in our timeline at the Battle for Mount Hyjal. Kil'jaeden finally got put down as well. The Legion jut doesn't have heavy enough hitters or powerful enough leaders for them to really continue on.
they didint care about sargerases righteous cause of killing void lords so i think they will join them anyway in the future just to get revenge on us
05/01/2018 15:42Posted by Aeula
Their leaders are dead.

Based on that blizzard tweet i am not so sure :o
05/01/2018 15:45Posted by Rãlph
Their leaders are dead.

well they are dead for now. Some of the are still alive as seen by prepatch brokenshore scenario and we havent killed them yet. and others are iffy if theyre alive or dead.
THough if some of the other still alive powerfull demons take command their armies wont be as strong as legion was under sargeras. And will be more of multiple different groups.
Their leaders are dead.

That tweet was Nomi joke. You know, how he burns everything and that kind of stuff.

Burning Legion is gone. Demons are not gone. Simple as that.
Sargeras was creator and only reason why Legion existed. With him gone, there is nobody powerful enough to lead it.

On top of that, whole command of the Legion was destroyed.
Archimonde was killed in Warcraft III/WoD (whatever lore will Blizzard use, as his death in WoD relies solely on the whole multiuniversal Legion thing, which is flawed in so many ways...but no matter how and when, he died) and Kil´jaeden was killed in ToS. Talgath was killed during Argus questline.
Then, when we invaded Antorus, we killed:
Eredars that were controlling Legion´s portal network.
Eredars that were controlling their armies, navy and machines.
Kin´garoth, creator of their machinery.

And while there are still many commanders and powerful demons who will certainly form their own factions and do all kinds of bad stuff in the universe, we literally cut off the head of the Legion. Maybe one day in the future, we will meet demons again or have a demonic invasion, but it will be few years before Blizzard touches this story again.
JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION is gonna take over of course.
05/01/2018 16:05Posted by Dorlas

That tweet was Nomi joke. You know, how he burns everything and that kind of stuff.

That's the thing though, it all fits together.

Nomi always had this burning reputation going, even rumors of being a dreadlord, and then we steamroll the headquarters of the legion without breaking a sweat.

Meanwhile Nomi is still here, and will be left to his machinations when we leave dalaran for BfA :o
Please, Nomi is just a brat. Don't tell me you are really afraid of some spoiled Pandaren teenager? Hahaha.
05/01/2018 16:27Posted by Iresea
Please, Nomi is just a brat. Don't tell me you are really afraid of some spoiled Pandaren teenager? Hahaha.

Teldrassil was joking about him too.
05/01/2018 16:30Posted by Dorlas
05/01/2018 16:27Posted by Iresea

Teldrassil was joking about him too.

Funny how the war starts with Nomi's specialty abillity.

I wonder, the legion would surely benefit from this war :o
Sargerass - Imprisoned
Archimonde + Kil'jaeden - Dead
Legion's High Command structure - Killed
Legion's head engineer - Dead
Legion's portal control - Severely damaged

While there are big names such as Tich, Manoroth, Jaraxxus, ect. You need to remember one thing, they are now soldiers without command.
There are no higher ups left within the Legion, they're all dead. Their ranks are destroyed, their portal networks are destroyed, their source for infinite armies is destroyed, the Crusade is over.

There will be mass infighting among the demons to work out who fills the power vacuum left. It often happens with many criminal/terrorist organisations, remove the head and the body will fight itself.
It is a safe bet that we will not be hearing from the Legion again, not for a long time.

As for demons? We're bound to run into them every now and then, but they will pose nowhere near the threat that they once did.
05/01/2018 16:01Posted by Cysia

well they are dead for now. Some of the are still alive as seen by prepatch brokenshore scenario and we havent killed them yet. and others are iffy if theyre alive or dead.
THough if some of the other still alive powerfull demons take command their armies wont be as strong as legion was under sargeras. And will be more of multiple different groups.

I hope Blizzard just forgets about them.

I never want to see another Legion themed enemy, raid or zone again.
05/01/2018 16:43Posted by Rãlph
I wonder, the legion would surely benefit from this war :o

No, this would be the Old Gods. I wouldn't be surprised if Nomi is the last living part of Y'Shaarj.
I think they will bring them back when Blizz is ready to add a third faction (if that ever happens). We wont see them for quite a few expansions now I think as they really have been overused. However once they have died down bring them back with a roar as third faction. I think a third faction has to happen sooner or later.
I hope it's gone so we won't have to have another expansion with green crap and space travelling.
With its main leadership gone, its most likely that the burning legion will splinter into different groups of demons trying to grab power and control of the legion. probably do some infighting against other demons as well