I'm not allowed to play horde anymore :(

General
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
06/01/2018 09:00Posted by Vikruckus
They think now that orcs are mindless beasts who destroys everything. I'm not gonna play horde in secret because they said if the se me doin it they will cancel my subscribtion and maybe delete my account :/

What should i do?

Good thing is, they are wrong. You can explain the lore to them, that orcs can be both good and bad, just like people in real life.
One example you could use is discussion between Saurfang and Garrosh from Borean Tundra, where Saurfang tells him how much he regrets things he did when he was young.
Another example you could use is Thrall, who turned orcs from those evil ways back into shamanism and freed them from the camps.
Then we have Grom, who in main timeline became corrupted again, but then sacrificed his life to free the orcs from demonic corruption.

All these examples show that orcs can be noble, just like they can be savage. Same as humans are. If there is one thing that has ton of complexity in WoW´s story, it is the races. Each and every one of them has characters that are good and bad, even Forsaken...unlike stories like LotR, where orcs are simply evil and that´s it.
Level to 18 irl, and move out.
06/01/2018 09:24Posted by Vikruckus
They can track my browser history and everything i do on my computer (i'm using a free trial vpn, but that won't last forever)

A trial VPN won't hide your history from your parents (or your internet service provider), all it does it mix the data your internet service provider sees with thousands of others.

You need something like CCleaner and set it to automatically clear ALL data when you close your browser.

Alternatively you could start watching videos about mass murderers and right wing facists then tell your parents you are studying Humans instead of Orcs...
06/01/2018 09:52Posted by Dorlas
06/01/2018 09:00Posted by Vikruckus
They think now that orcs are mindless beasts who destroys everything. I'm not gonna play horde in secret because they said if the se me doin it they will cancel my subscribtion and maybe delete my account :/

What should i do?

Good thing is, they are wrong. You can explain the lore to them, that orcs can be both good and bad, just like people in real life.
One example you could use is discussion between Saurfang and Garrosh from Borean Tundra, where Saurfang tells him how much he regrets things he did when he was young.
Another example you could use is Thrall, who turned orcs from those evil ways back into shamanism and freed them from the camps.
Then we have Grom, who in main timeline became corrupted again, but then sacrificed his life to free the orcs from demonic corruption.

All these examples show that orcs can be noble, just like they can be savage. Same as humans are. If there is one thing that has ton of complexity in WoW´s story, it is the races. Each and every one of them has characters that are good and bad, even Forsaken...unlike stories like LotR, where orcs are simply evil and that´s it.

Tehcnically speaking the first Orcs of Middle-Earth were Elves that were corrupted and twisted by Melkor, and could theoretically be redeemed, it is just not a story that Tolkien wanted to tell (he was more on the ravages of war, something the Jackson movies seem to have missed.But i digress).

I don’t know wether pointing to Wrath and its poop-and-torture Quests is such a good idea, in general WoW lore is better to be ignored as there is little if any consistency to it.

In general, to the OP: your parents are just being concerned with you, and trying to be good parents. That includes having at least some interest in what their children are doing on the Web (technically, as long as you are a minor, they also carry some legal obligations to your actions).

Personally I would advise you to calmly sit down and start off with that you understand that, as your parents, they only want to watch out for you, and that indeed the movie paints a perhaps dire picture. You respect that and whatever decision they make. Explain however that in a (MMO)RPG you, as a player, gets to decide what your character does and doesn’t do, and that, as in the World of WarCraft at large, your Orc is like the other Orcs who try to be noble and honorable -and struggle with that like humans. Tell how it allows you to interact with kids from across the world, and how the greater feel of freedom in MMoRPG’s helps you cope with the struggles a a modern teenager - all in a relatively safe environment of makebelief watched over by Gamemasters and such. In a sense those green Orcs with their stooped backs are nothing but a sort of tiny Hulks, and while Hulks go SMASH when they get upset they aren’t - at least the noble Orc you play - really bad.

And otherwise you can always play a Gnome Hunter with pigtails, hard to argue about that. Fun too, playing somethin g that is entirely different from you (I’m neither tiny, cute, or particularly chipper for example).

My apologies if I rambled a bit but I think you got the gist of it.
My god... how can parents be this overprotective its a bloody game.
well paly something more suitable for your age maybe, like pokemon etcetera...
I remember many years ago that a friend of mine had a very strict parent.
She did forbid him to have Pokemon cards because they were from Satan and was forbidden to play diablo. but he was smart and hid the cards and when playing diablo we had LAN parties.

If i was you then i would save up money for game time and make a new account that they have no access and when gaming to stay at a friend that have same interest as you.

I've had many fights in my teens back in the day and every teen fight with their parents in some ways. Its a part of your maturing process to rebel and find yourself.
Use orb of deception when they enter your room ;)
No seriously Im feeling sorry for you that you cant play horde anymore for them, im not sure ehat you should do but tell them why you want to be horde?
You could try to explain the lore of the orcs to them so they would change their opinions. Sure, orcs are portrayed as bloodthirsty beasts, but they're much deeper than that and the orc you would be playing is lore-wise a "non-corrupted" orc.

If that doesn't work, then alliance isn't that bad either.
Its just a blooming game. Not the next Bible or anything.
If your parents are book readers you could get them:
World of Warcraft: Rise of the Horde and Warcraft: Lord of the Clans. Those two books basically go through how the Orcish Horde came to be and how Thrall became the Warchief. Getting them read the novels might be easier because they have proper plots and characters going through them than more distantly written WoWpedia articles about the Orcish history.

On other hand you could show them the Orcish Starting Zone cinematic from Vanilla WoW as it makes bullet point presentation about their history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCozMVZEsc

Of course this is all depends if they are willing to listen you or are they set on their opinion.
The movie pretty much shows that orcs isn't any mindless beasts doesn't it?

Look at Durotan, honorable orc trying to save his people with help from humans.
Or when Anduin kills Blackhand in Mak'gora, all the orcs ignore Gulduan and lets him go.

Orcs isn't mindless beast, they are an honorable race with strong traditions. Explain this to your stupid gnome parents.
Tell your parents f-off.

If you end up being more trouble for them than the situation is worth they'll back off.

At least mine did.
06/01/2018 12:02Posted by Aeula
Tell your parents f-off.

If you end up being more trouble for them than the situation is worth they'll back off.

At least mine did.

That's really bad advice because it highly depends what kind of parents they are. At least mine would have just refused to pay my sub if I tried to start doing something like that when I was a child. They would have never rewarded me for misbehaving.
Lol, I remember the time when I was 13, I was reading Harry Potter and my mom was concerned that I would become a satanist or something. I laughed in her face and lol-ed for 10 minutes straight, but she did trust my judgement even back then and didn't push the thing further.

She was angry that I played WoW during summer, because "fresh air omg", but we only ever argued about it, she never forbade it.

I think you just need to talk to them about it and show them why they're wrong. Honestly, there's bigger "danger" from the humans playing both sides behind their character, but that doesn't seem to bother them, lol (but don't mention that obviously).
06/01/2018 11:58Posted by Crode
The movie pretty much shows that orcs isn't any mindless beasts doesn't it?

It's probably the mass genocide by Gul'dan at the start and the Draenei woman begging for her child to be saved!

06/01/2018 12:11Posted by Ruineth
Lol, I remember the time when I was 13, I was reading Harry Potter and my mom was concerned that I would become a satanist or something.

Lol, some of my friends parents at that age banned them from hanging out with me because I played D&D and was a Satanist. /smh@godbotherers
06/01/2018 12:05Posted by Aldith
06/01/2018 12:02Posted by Aeula
Tell your parents f-off.

At least mine did.

That's really bad advice because it highly depends what kind of parents they are. At least mine would have just refused to pay my sub if I tried to start doing something like that when I was a child. They would have never rewarded me for misbehaving.

I suppose. I just found that being rebellious wore them down until they started treating me like an Adult. Then I stopped being rebellious.

The OP could try sitting them down and having a serious talk with them. Pointing out immature his parents are and insisting they stop getting involved in what he does in his downtime and treating him like they do.

That worked on my parents later on, but it wouldn't have worked on them before because, as I said, they didn't treat me like an adult enough to listen to those conversations.

Whatever you do OP, don't just 'accept' this, if you don't stand up for yourself they'll continue to treat you like this well into your adult life.
I think your parents hit the nail right on the head.

The Orcs invaded Azeroth and formed the Horde out of what was locally available in terms of scumbags, villains and other assorted loosers.

It's not a good sign when your kid chooses their side over the Alliance.

I agree with your parents and like them i'd like to close with a warm and heartfelt ..FOR THE ALLIANCE!!

Oh, and don't do drugs either... drugs are bad m'kay!
First of all, dont inform them about PvP and having to play against orcs then..
nor that theres friendly orcs in your orderhall

But you could approach your parrents, tell them why you want to be an orc. point out their "Strengthes", what makes you want to play them, the story.

If it doesn't work. then it's just three more years.
Get the WoW books,hit your parents with LORE B-)

It probably won't work though,and will all respect due,your parents are being incredibly stupid on that matter,and it's near impossible to convince someone being stupid