I'm not allowed to play horde anymore :(

General
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
Being a parent myself... been dragged to this game by my sons back in 2005 - playing horde for a few years. Till they both quit due to making other choises and priorities.

I think having them read the two books mentioned before would be good. Or at least watch the video. If they refuse to educate themselves on what the game is really about, then I guess you have no choise but to go to the alliance.

The game plays the same on both sides. But alliance look prettier.

It's just a game. But it's here like in the real world - one should not judge people on appearance. There are nasties hiding everywhere.

Being a minor must feel bad when your parents make your choises. I don't get why some chose to do so. Specially on thing that doesn't really matter. In this case, playing alliance is better than not playing at all, I think.
Make a pandaren and copy that person who leveled to 110 on picking peaceblooms and mining ore on the back of a turtle. Do that until, like someone said, you're 18 years old and can move out. But remember that good education is what give you true independence. Better your education is, the better job you can get, and with that comes less need to spend long hours working. That creates time to play a game like this...
grow up i guess
06/01/2018 16:16Posted by Vikruckus
Ok i'll read all the posts and after a recent disqussion with my parents i was allowed again to play horde. I argued and said there are bad people of every race. and i also explained to them that warcraft movie is just canon and warcraft universe is much bigger then that. I also told them orc lore from wowwiki.

The only thing i'd need to say my parents aren't abusive they are more overproctecting in a strange way. But i'm still not allowed to play gta V or any other violent shooter game.

Thanks for all the posts :)

Good to hear.

Enjoy the game for what it has to offer..
06/01/2018 17:21Posted by Néckbeard
grow up i guess
Considering OP is a minor, it might take a while.
But i'm still not allowed to play gta V or any other violent shooter game.

Can't blame 'em for that, I remember years ago feeling the wrath of my sister's rage when I gave my nephew a copy of GTA4 for Chrimbo!

Isn't that what uncles are for....
Ok i'll read all the posts and after a recent disqussion with my parents i was allowed again to play horde. I argued and said there are bad people of every race. and i also explained to them that warcraft movie is just canon and warcraft universe is much bigger then that. I also told them orc lore from wowwiki.

The only thing i'd need to say my parents aren't abusive they are more overproctecting in a strange way. But i'm still not allowed to play gta V or any other violent shooter game.

Good job.
However use wowpedia for the future.
wowikki is trash.
Only a sith deals in absolutes , you must do what you must
If your parents baby you like that after seeing a movie then you are most likely to young to play the game age rating wise anyway

Hehe, good job, peeps :-)

PS: Your parents are my age, I like playing Alliance, mostly because I like Alliance music better :-)
Tell your parents... THAT WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS JUST A GAME! IT'S FANTASY! IT'S NOT REAL!

Seriously, your parents are fine with the game "World of Warcraft" and what you do in it, but they are not fine with you playing an orc? Cmon!
06/01/2018 11:58Posted by Crode
The movie pretty much shows that orcs isn't any mindless beasts doesn't it?

It's probably the mass genocide by Gul'dan at the start and the Draenei woman begging for her child to be saved!

Yes and that's one little part of the movie. If the parents would sit down and see the whole thing, they should notice the most orcs doesn't want to follow Gul'dan, they do it because they fear him and get killed if they don't.

Sure those parents sounds a bit narrow minded, but TS isn't playing a warlock.
Look them right in the eyes and say "Don't worry is not real" ..

Or you can say "Is this OR i start roleplaying in Real life, pick a poison" :p

Note: Tips can backfire, so use with caution.
@OP: I used to play horde as well - UD actually. Loved the lore of UD. Then I played belf - again a lore thing. Then I realised RL-friends were playing the game (TBC) .... but they all played alliance. Since then it was always alliance, even though my heart beats for the horde.

No "the game" is not real - but the friendships are real, even if they are mediated through the game. Even better: If you have RL-friends playing the game, then that is another reason to stick to a certain side. But it seems to be neither in your case. If that is the case, then my opinion is, that "yes, it is annoying", but there will be other more important battles with your parents, and taking a stand will become important at some point - all you can do now is to explain it as calm as you can, and consider if this really is worth the trouble.

If you have friends in the game, then that should be all the more reason to stick to a certain side - as others have pointed out, it is absolutely silly to imagine, that the film reflects the personalities of the real persons playing the game.

PS: I know of strict parents - but bear with them. Many of them at least try to make sense of a world moving faster than they do. At some point you will most likely rebel - hopefully something you after 30 years can say was worth it :)
06/01/2018 16:51Posted by Stilken
Being a parent myself... been dragged to this game by my sons back in 2005 - playing horde for a few years. Till they both quit due to making other choises and priorities.

I think having them read the two books mentioned before would be good. Or at least watch the video. If they refuse to educate themselves on what the game is really about, then I guess you have no choise but to go to the alliance.

The game plays the same on both sides. But alliance look prettier.

It's just a game. But it's here like in the real world - one should not judge people on appearance. There are nasties hiding everywhere.

Being a minor must feel bad when your parents make your choises. I don't get why some chose to do so. Specially on thing that doesn't really matter. In this case, playing alliance is better than not playing at all, I think.

Made me reflect on my initial impressions: Back when I changed to alliance (back in TBC) I was really regretting it - the horde I had been so lucky to meet on my old server were so much more mature that all the alliance I met (apart from my friends).
Mate, why would your parents care about the lore of the game and you are playing in a game rated as 12?? Lmao, maybe they think you are going to kill somebody, anyway...
Try to present them a nice source from where they can get information, or recommend them a book if they are willingly to give it a shot. Thrall: Lord of Clans, it is my favourite wow book by far, tell them about this book and I can promise you they'll love orcs.

Oh, let me ruin it for you now, wait until they find out about Sylvannas (aka the half naked crazy chyka) and the Forsaken xDDD
My parents forbid me to play fantasy games such as Diablo, WoW, The I of the Dragon because they had dragons, demons and orcs which are "satanic beings".

Only when i turned 18 i got to enjoy those games finally.

Youre not the only one lol at least you can play WoW
I've a great solution!

Agree to playing Alliance but say that a faction change will cost 30 EUR to them. They can check it out in the Blizzard shop too. See how they like that!

If they're the pieces of !@#$ I think they are according to your description, they're probably greedy too and that'll change their minds quickly enough.
06/01/2018 16:27Posted by Niodd
If his parents are really on a level of stupidity that makes them say "hey son from now on you are not allowed to play horde because they are bad guys in the movie" and actually checking it whether he is playing horde or not... they would be already in a psychiatric facility.

You grossly overestimate people, then. The mind boggles at some of the stuff I've come across in life. I couldn't even make up half of it, and I have a very active imagination. People are bonkers.

06/01/2018 22:09Posted by Pawgin
Mate, why would your parents care about the lore of the game and you are playing in a game rated as 12?? Lmao, maybe they think you are going to kill somebody, anyway...

I wasn't allowed to watch Ren and Stimpy. My mother thought it was too violent. People are bonkers.
it´s simiple tell them to sit next to you and show them what oyu do go somewhere and fight some mobs ... just tell them it´s just visual and both sides actually do the same and it´s not the character controling you but you decide what to do ;)

I paly games from my 10 noone ever cared when I was like 14 I was playing avp 1 missions and i felt from the chair when a facehugger jumpen into my face .. I think if your parent would see those games they would take wow as game for pink baby unicorns :))

A lot of people all my life think games make humans evil etc ... it´s actually already defined no matter if you play games or just walk on the sidewalk if you are a psycho it´s not becasue of a game. I only palyed first person shooter i woul probably be a mass murderer by now.