How long does WoW really have left?

General
This isn't meant to be a "wow is dying" thread, although i do wonder......
BUT, with practicality and reality in mind, how long do you think WoW has? Some reasons i wonder about this are:

1) The game is over 13 years old, and thus some content, graphics, the engine etc are over 13 years old.

2) The original player base (vanilla and TBC players) are now a lot older and don't have as much time to play. Someone 15 at release, would be 28 now. But a lot of players would have been mid 20's then so we are heading towards 40's and 50's. Newer players don't seem to want to stay on one particular game for very long it seems

3) The size of the game is a joke now. Mine is over 50GB!

4) The amount of content on content means it is hard if not impossible to fix some older bugs if they appear now as the coders wouldn't know where to start looking. (50GB of code!!!)

5) There have been 8 releases (including vanilla and BfA). That's quite a series!

6) Most of the big lore points have been covered now, unless we do more "XXXX was just a setback" (how many times will that work) or another time traveling expansion! If azshara and the old gods are covered in BfA as some people are speculating, then that's mostly everything covered.

7) Blizz don't release sub numbers anymore. After about 11 years of doing so, why did they stop? Unless.............?

Of course, this doesn't count if blizz release a totally stand alone WoW2. But then, what is there to cover? See point 6. at least in GW2 a lot of the stuff visited was "new".
it depends, maby one or two more expacs at most, I would say, I would like to se it going on for 10 years more, but I cant se it happening.

though I do feel a wow 2 could be an idea soon, but we have to se what happens.
Blizzard still supports Starcraft and Diablo 2, so obviously they are not going to abandon WoW in 2019 and develop WoW 2, because it's a waste of time. Why? WoW is still very popular.

Do people really think that the lack of villains would be a good reason to stop making billions? Blizzard can come up with new threats, new continents, new planets, they have an immense universe. They will never run out of lore.

In fact, people thought the last expansion would be the expansion where we go fight Sargeras on Argus. Well, i guess they spoke too soon.

30/12/2017 10:34Posted by Vintoleth
5) There have been 8 releases (including vanilla and BfA). That's quite a series!

Doesn't Everquest II have like... 17 expansions? And Everquest II is not nearly as popular as WoW.
Considering things like templates, pvp talens, allied races and the new wpvp system are foundational mechanics so the devs can build upon them later it is pretty clear they have very long term plans and intend to remain dominant in the mmorpg market.

Probably more than a decade, especially since Blizzard is currently very dominant in the mmorpg, Fps and rts markets with serious competitive events.

So based on blizzard's actions, A LOT!
6) Most of the big lore points have been covered now,

MoP proved an entirely new one can be made up and executed well. Only going on what's existing isn't going to work.

4) The amount of content on content means it is hard if not impossible to fix some older bugs if they appear now as the coders wouldn't know where to start looking. (50GB of code!!!)

I think you'd find the whole game isn't one just massive block of code. It's probably very easy to find the bits they want to find due to ID's and stuff like that for everything but when it comes to isolating how problems work, that's where it can take a while.

Also it isn't 50gb of code lol - code is actually very small in size. A large chunk of size would be due to textures, sound effects, music, particles, spell effects, cinematics and so on.

See point 6. at least in GW2 a lot of the stuff visited was "new".

Shame the gameplay was so bad though :(
For as long as Blizzard want it to. It's still the best MMO on the market by a country mile.
I think the future is to create one last 'expansion' called something like World of Warcraft: Legacy where they stop progressing the story but design an end game based around rotational raids and revamping content from the X number of previous expansions. Keep the servers going as long as is economically viable.

Then make a Warcraft 4. The Warcraft IP needs to move away from MMORPG for a while as it's not the best vehicle for creating coherent and engaging stories.
it keeps its playerbase at steady number that spike and slowly decay over every expension

i hope i die earlier then this game
minimum 3 years and after 3 years probably again 3years.

they might do a engine transfer but sire hope they learned from destiny 2 fiasco.
Many years, W3 is still played despite being 17 years old, like I said in another thread WoW is a more server orientated game, as long your server has an active AH, decent raiding scene and decent random queue (~10min) you are more than fine, for that we need around 200k active players.
30/12/2017 11:22Posted by Lex
Many years, W3 is still played despite being 17 years old, like I said in another thread WoW is a more server orientated game, as long your server has an active AH, decent raiding scene and decent random queue (~10min) you are more than fine, for that we need around 200k active players.

Very true but from Blizzard's point of view Warcraft is by far their most recognised and famous IP and all the time WoW is getting new expansions they can't do an awful lot with it. So although I'm sure it's still profitable to keep developing WoW as they have since its release, they could be missing out on the bounty of making a Warcraft 4
I feel like I can look 8 years ahead and still see WoW on the horizon.

The only reason I can't see further ahead is because of technological advances.

If anything will "kill" WoW, it'll be that.

The increasing presence of smartphones and decline of desktop PCs, and the prevalence of mobile games....
Virtual Reality and games like Pokémon Go hinting at something yet to come with Augmented Reality....

In 8 years WoW will still be WoW. You'll still be sitting in front of a monitor with your keyboard and mouse like you've done since the 80's and 90's if you want to play it.

But in 8 years technology will have moved so much further than that as well.

If Pokémon Go is the frontier today with its mobile-driven Augmented Reality world, how can WoW possible compete with whatever waits for it 8 years down the line?

Horse carriage rides were insanely popular and difficult to imagine life without for a long time a century ago. Then along came this guy called Henry Ford and now? The Queen drives around in a horse carriage sometimes, but other than that...
7) Blizz don't release sub numbers anymore. After about 11 years of doing so, why did they stop? Unless.............?

Because WoD was such a massive failure it decimated the playerbase.

But on topic:
I can see wow persisting for a while to be honest, but I worry about how viable it will be. There are a few areas they could do with improving before wow is likely to grow between expansions.

Design oversights: Honestly this is a big annoyance for me but it's lots of little things that take too long to fix. Take artifact power, didn't anyone on the dev team realise the current system of spending it was just a hybrid tax? That was something moved away from as long as wotlk, why did it take an entire expansion for it to be addressed? There are the legendaries, which to their credit they saw the biggest problem with at blizzcon when they announced legion, but why they didn't actually implement a solution is beyond me.

Narrative development: While i get that each zone has it's own story, each expansion has it's own story and each patch seems to have it's own story for most of the expansions they've seemed completely isolated from each other. For instance, what exactly happened to the allies each faction found in wotlk or cataclysm? They seemed to have just dropped off the face of azeroth when we left.

Each zone in legion doesn't seem to give a damn about the other zones, and it seems a lot of the time in the zone is wasted with busywork quests. Think about it, how many quests can you actually remember doing in each of the zones in legion? Couldn't some of these quests have been repurposed to set up new characters in the game? Some could be new villains, some new heroes or just somewhere in between.

Professions: Crafting professions have become nigh on pointless in legion. There is no vision behind the purpose of crafted gear and it is a shame. There are so many directions they could go with professions to make them relevant again but as it stands most of them are a waste of time.
Im not sure. I think WoW can survive for quite some time, but games come And go so fast now.

I think there will be a time where new players wont join, And the old players will come&go, slowly decline.
Not sure if the leveling-based system will be a thing in the future, AS the new generation doesnt want to invest to mutch time in a character, but rather swap around And have a faster type of gameplay[code][/code]

Edit: autocorrect ruined my life
How long does WoW have left?

As long as there is a high enough efficiency ratio (cost/revenue). Blizzard is a business at first and an artist second. If they have less subs, they will have to cut down their costs and perhaps in the near or distant future only make one server for each region. But as long as their investment in WoW is profitable and as long as their other franchises don't promise a higher efficiency ratio or at least as long as WoWs efficiency ratio is tolerable in relation to other franchises, they will keep on doing it.

When that stops to be the case, they will stomp WoW and milk the Warcraft Franchise in some other way. Perhaps a Warcraft IV? *drool*
To the original question, as long as Blizzard supports it.
People are still playing wow. We dont know the exact numbers but it should still be larger than any other mmo that has subscription. This means it is still doing pretty well.

As long as wow is profitable, blizz will keep it going.
The one thing I believe that will stop WoW from progressing and being moved onto a WoW 2 is that eventually new players are gonna join, see that the level cap is I dunno... 130-140 and they might not even bother with it, depending on how they might change levelling systems to decrease time it takes for them to reach level cap. It'd still be a daunting task for any brand new player.

But eventually they're going to be relying on the existing player base, which is always shrinking.

WoW has a death date, it's just when, I reckon it mostly depends how long they can survive with a lack of new players and a constantly shrinking player base.
The size of the game is a joke now. Mine is over 50GB!

Thats not big. Get used to this size for the majority of the games in the future (loads of games already have the same size or are even bigger. GTA alone was bigger when it released). Games will increase in size and somewhere in the future even 100gb might be considered low just like in the past where 4mb were considered massive.
Also forgot to add that I find it unlikely for blizz to make WoW 2 before current WoW is basically dead.

They dont need to compete with themselves.
People have tons of effort and stuff on their WoW characters. Why would they want to reset all that for WoW 2?
Ect.