Headcanon 2: Electric Boogaloo

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 17 18 19
Taurens are actually pandaren-draenei hybrids, stolen from future by bronze flight renegades and brainwashed to fight their own ancestors.
Twilight Highlands were greatly recovered since the Cataclysm thanks to the Earthern Ring and Cenarion Circle working together with the Wildhammers. After the Legion ran through most of the reconstruction was halted and in many cases reversed due to the onslaught, but currently back underway.

Still trying to get an actual answer on the situation from Ion or Alex now, still trying on twitter. For now I just feel its logical that the Highlands are no longer burning, nor under assault.
I've said this before and I'll say it again:
The rage that warriors use to fuel their abilities, especially more semi-magical ones (dragon roar, warbreaker, avatar, storm bolt, heroic leap etc.) is actually a more instinctive, wilder version of using their chi, and as such its only possible to tap into these abilities when they're in battle to the point that their anger flips on a switch that lets them harness their spiritual energy.
Likewise their experience with battle and toughing through hardship means they can literally SHOUT at people until they feel better/ready to fight ((commanding shout/battle roar)).

((hence why my warrior can use these abilities IC, heh))
13/11/2018 14:29Posted by Horkim
((hence why my warrior can use these abilities IC, heh))

Before he died you mean huehue.

For real tho. I kinda agree with you. I like to think there's something magical in the stuff that warriors do. And chi fits the bill the most. There are downsides to the absolute badassery warriors do however. A warrior can continue fighting while having 4 arrows stuck in his chest but as soon as the fight is over the warrior falls since the magical adrenaline fades.

I'd also like to add this works for every kind of warrior. You don't have to be a freaky berzerker with foam coming out of his bunghole to tap into your inner rage. There are multiple types of fury. Someone like Saurfang stays in full control of his actions but sure as hell still has adrenaline pumping trough his veins.
13/11/2018 01:54Posted by Levey
It started in MoP with the soldiers defending the beach of the soon to be Lion's Landing adopting a phalanx formation

This was probably the earliest starting point. But, I think the Iron Horde then accelerated this development. I mean a sword is a subpar weapon on a battlefield in the first place, but it becomes absolutely useless when your enemies are all wearing some kind of heavy armor.

13/11/2018 06:22Posted by Mithcha
that mages, shamans, druids etc are far, far, far less common than typically shown.

That's a pretty common concept and headcanon really. I mean we just have to look at several battlefields all over the world and we only find a handful of mages or magical classes. In the Southern Barrens for example are no mages at all and only a handful of shamans. And even fewer druids.

13/11/2018 06:22Posted by Mithcha
If the Orc is to be believed then your average druid isn't as powerful as many assume. A threat certainly but not a game changer.

I believe that this is actually is true for every single class. The biggest problem honestly is the fact that the main characters in Warcraft are incredibly powerful: Jaina leveling entire cities, Khadgar doing pretty much the same, Thrall creating entire tornadoes, Anduin healing up dozens of soldiers.

They have no relation to the regular magic users anymore. I actually like to use Warcraft 3 for reference here: Units like the sorceress, druids of the claw or shamans are all magical classes. Yet, they're not walking armies and need support. Meanwhile a level 10 mountain king or archmage is indeed powerful, yet they still cannot win the game on their own.

The BfA-cinematic is also providing some insight: We see night elf mages and a troll shaman and while they do some damage, they cannot change the course of the entire battle on their own and the main fighting still happens between regular grunts and footmen.

(And now I want Lightforged as a playable race in Warcraft 3. Their basic soldier would probably cost like 350 gold or something.)
That I'm the only person in Stormwind willing to defend the city because everyone else is too busy standing at the pavement curb of cathedral square staring silently at the numerous others staring straight back from the other side.
Other NPCs in Stormwind exist and all they do is walk around and have conversations like Oblivion NPCs.
14/11/2018 09:20Posted by Hlaren
Other NPCs in Stormwind exist and all they do is walk around and have conversations like Oblivion NPCs.

"Hello!"

"I've heard a consortium of mages have led a boycott of imperial goods on the Summerset Isles!"

"Get away from me!"
14/11/2018 09:25Posted by Moody
14/11/2018 09:20Posted by Hlaren

"Hello!"

"I've heard a consortium of mages have led a boycott of imperial goods on the Summerset Isles!"

"Get away from me!"

"Have you heard of the High Elves?"
14/11/2018 09:30Posted by Hlaren
"Have you heard of the High Elves?"

Lord Garithos sure did.