Incest in the World of Warcraft?

Story
So I'll be making this topic in the RP forum as well because I'm not sure if it should be here or there.

Basically I've a question.
We all know WoW is set in a medieval fantasy world. In Medieval times, incest was not only not frowned upon but encouraged to 'keep the bloodline clean'.

I know it is considered gross today but what would people in WoW think about it?
Blizzard is very careful to keep the game family friendly so I doubt that it will ever happen with any major lore characters but if it did happen in a novel or something, would it be frowned upon by society or accepted as an effort to preserve the purity of a line?

I'm mainly interested in blood elves for this particular topic but if you guys know anything about any of the other cultures I'd be thankful if you shared.
You're confusing timelines. In medieval times it had, if anything, nothing to do with prunes. But with power and Alliances.

Well you answered your question yourself. Blizzard will most likley never say anyhing close to this. But there are so many species and differenct cultures. I could see it somwehre happend. No idea were tough.

Real life comparisons shouldn't really be made here. In some countries like France it's perfectly legal. I don't think Stormwind humans would accept it. But who knows.
Highly unlikely, incest would have to play a role and have significance in the story in order for it to be mentioned.

This is not Game of Thrones.

This is a normal fantasy story.
19/01/2018 18:16Posted by Gaelphedias
This is a normal fantasy story.

Nothing to unusual in "normal" settings.
I'll give backstory to the question.

I was writing a fanfiction for one of my characters and I was doing it in the style of GRRM's idea of a 'gardener'. Look up Alt Shift X's video on Jaimie Lannister, he'll explain it in the start of the video.

The style is really great with a mix of my own, that does have a limited amount of planning. It suits me more then anything I've done previously so I went with it.

Problem is, the main character just happened to fall in love with her brother... which is kind of awkward if you think about it. There's no reason for her to be grossed out about it and it would be uncharacteristic of her to break up because of it so I'm forced to go with it.

I'm unsure wether I should post it on the fanfic forum (or anywhere) because of that twist.
So you don't mean necessarily "officially recognised", or "normal" cultural, even though this would help you.

With this I mean, no explicit things in the RP Forum for example. Writing about her feelings for example, perhaps even if she has second thoughts, because of others etc. This could be ok. In this case I would say, it's like in real life. Everything can happen. Just keep it simple, and it could be ok.

But well, it's just my guess and I don't know if it would last. It's also just me trying to be constructive.
I think incest would be taboo in WoW for most races because Blizzard generally skews towards modern Western values and morals (that is to say, the ultra-sanitized American notion of 'Western'), and would never, ever provide lore to the contrary anyway.
I plan to make it as natural as anything. Just two people loving each other. The fact that they had the same mother interests them none. It is mentioned but not focused on. That shouldn't earn a lot of scorn right?
Interracial relationships are scorned among Azerothian races, so I imagine they wouldn't be too happy about incest either. Hypocricy is a realistic trait though...
19/01/2018 18:45Posted by Sanara
I think incest would be taboo in WoW for most races because Blizzard generally skews towards modern Western values and morals (that is to say, the ultra-sanitized American notion of 'Western'), and would never, ever provide lore to the contrary anyway.

As much as I often disagree with Sanara, they've pretty much nailed it there.

I'll add to it though,

To start with, the races in Azeroth are not idiots, in some cases they are highly developed intelligences, they are not living in a medieval setting. At all. They are living in a setting that we can't define in our real world for one very intrinsically simple reason. There is one Sentient and Sapient species on our planet. On Azeroth, there are many. It is not a medieval setting. People use swords and platemail, yes. They also use guns and cannons, which were prior to the 1400's in our world. They use Zeppelins, which came about in the late 1800's/early 1900's, They also use helicopters, which never saw usage until after 1945 in our world ( Roughly, I mean they didn't see common usage during WWII) They use Lasers, which we're only really starting to weaponise -now-.

Azeroth is -not- a medieval setting. It is not even comparable to one.

Now, they do not seem to have our level of understanding when it comes to things like genetics and DNA, however it is highly doubtful that over the thousands, tens of thousands of years that some of the races have existed, no one ever realised it was a bad idea when a sister boinked a brother.

Now of course, just as in our world, where Incest does occur, undoubtedly so would it in Azeroth, however, it is still likely to be just as Taboo as it is to us. No one is going to think it is a good idea, or somehow 'OK'. I mean even during medieval periods, people did not think it was 'OK', there is a reason why the noble families kept such meticulous records of who was related to who.

So no, the assertion that in the medieval period, Incest was somehow 'OK' to keep a bloodline pure is absolute nonsense, there is no evidence of that. If you want to cite a RL example that does work, you would have to go back to the Ptolemic dynasties of Ancient Egypt. I mean Cleopatra was married to her brother. Even -then- this was regarded with scorn and disgust by Non-Egyptians.

I guess what I am driving at is "Could your character be in an Incestuous relationship?" Well of course they could. It happens in our world. "Would it be regarded as OK?" Hells no. Its going to be a taboo, its not going to be a thing they would talk about openly. I mean I can't provide you with a source saying that it is not OK, but equally, there is no reason to believe that on Azeroth it -Is- OK.

I think it is pretty likely that Incest would carry a similar stigma on Azeroth, as it does in our world.
20/01/2018 18:24Posted by Brigante
"Could your character be in an Incestuous relationship?" Well of course they could. It happens in our world. "Would it be regarded as OK?" Hells no.

That's what I'm going to go with.

If it isn't considered a crime and punishable by something then I can work with that.
Nefarian and Onyxia repopulated the black dragon flight and they're siblings, just thought i would point that out.
had to open same dumbass thread in 2 different forums yeah