My first ever cloth-class. Either Priest or Mage

Priest
Want to create a character in the cloth-class. Either Priest or Mage
What can you tell me about a Priest I might not know, not have considered?

Any tips?

How is the class currently, in PVE or PVP?

Thanks in advance
Well, you have to choose between mage and priest. Try both and then pick one.
Mage was my first.

Priest. Specifically holy priest. Mage currently isn't in a good state (all three specs).

Shadow is mechanically defective due to long ramp-up time. Disc is hard to learn and suffers from a rigid playstyle.

Holy is a well designed spec that is in a good state. It's a no-nonsense healer with straightforward gameplay.
10/02/2018 02:42Posted by Alebran

Priest. Specifically holy priest. Mage currently isn't in a good state (all three specs).

Shadow is mechanically defective due to long ramp-up time. Disc is hard to learn and suffers from a rigid playstyle.

Holy is a well designed spec that is in a good state. It's a no-nonsense healer with straightforward gameplay.

Thank you!
i tried fire and arcane mage ( around 940 itlv) fire is fun but still hits like a hotnoodle, arcane is fun in the beginning but it gets tedious :)

so i leveled my 2nd longest char ( priest) , 2 levels shadow then went disc and never looked back:)

i like the mix of healing and dmg , gonna try holy this weekend

go priest ( dmg and healingspecc) mage 3 dps speccs
For anyone else wondering, Mage can be really tedious in long fights without a healer, as you have no way to heal yourself. Shadow has a lot of self-healing, a lot of it based on your damage. Warlock is better in this aspect. Mage and Shadow are good when left alone at range, Shadow being less damage but more tanky.
If you want just DPS I wouldn't advise going for Shadow... looking at the current Alpha build, they are butchering the class with awful rearranging of talents and abilities.

Main'd a Priest since TBC, wasn't keen on Legion's iteration of Shadow... and BfA just looks awful when I thought Blizz couldn't make the spec worse, tempting me to jump ship and play a new main... which I am pretty reluctant to do, the OCD in me hates seeing rep not being exalted.
Try mage, play Frost, when you get to 80+ play fire. For priest, play disc 90+ then shadow.