Elune... what is she?

Story
05/02/2018 10:43Posted by Nóxx
We have tonnes of evidence that Elune exists. Just off the top of my head:
1) Tyrande seems to have a prophet-esque relationship with her, and can speak to her.
2) We have seen Wild Gods such as Cenarius, Malorne and others who either have direct descent from Elune or some direct involvement with her (creatures that have no particular reason to lie).
3) The Night Elves' creation from the ancient trolls seems to be directly tied to Elune in some way.
4) Elune's power is routinely called upon to purify things in quests, up to and including a demon (satyr -> nelf) at one point if memory serves.
5) We see Elune ascend Ysera into the stars, and give us her tear (a pillar of creation) in Legion.

You are right, it's a matter of faith. Each point you bring up relies on belief. Number 5 is probably the most direct evidence we have of Elune, yet if Elune is capable of purifying the worst corruptions, why could Elune not purify Ysera? My skepticism regarding Elune is that this powerful being does not involve itself in the lives of those who worship it. Tyrande cries, "Mother Moon, help us", but Ysera still dies.

As for elves being descended from trolls, is that actually canon?

05/02/2018 10:43Posted by Nóxx
To my best understanding, Elune is basically the capital-G God of the Warcraft Universe. Doesn't get involved too much, but the most powerful entity in the canon. I could, however, be wrong - Blizzard has been VERRRRRRY eager not to give a solid answer to the question...
Where was Elune during the Sundering? Where was Elune when the Burning Legion invaded? Where was Elune when the Scourge annihilated Silvermoon?

Let's suppose that Elune is very much real, then I can't imagine that she deserves the veneration that is given to her.
05/02/2018 17:07Posted by Catherine
You are right, it's a matter of faith. Each point you bring up relies on belief.

INB4 Night Elves are Catholics...and Tyrande is the Pope... :P
05/02/2018 17:07Posted by Catherine
Where was Elune when the Scourge annihilated Silvermoon?

Well, that makes sense that she didn't intervene against the Scourge in Quel'thalas, the High Elves had long ago abandoned her cult and embraced the cult of the Sun (Belore) and centered their civilization around arcane magic and the Sunwell.

Still, maybe she could have helped them anyway, a truly forgiving deity doesn't abandon her former followers even if her followers abandon him or her, and after all Silvermoon has been named by the Quel'dorei in her honour or remembrance, in a way :P

Im pretty sure if she had intervened to save the High Elves and the Sunwell from the Scourge, the High Elves would have reintroduced her cult and worship after all, so it was still convenient to her maybe..
-SNIP-

You are right, it's a matter of faith. Each point you bring up relies on belief. Number 5 is probably the most direct evidence we have of Elune, yet if Elune is capable of purifying the worst corruptions, why could Elune not purify Ysera?

(Snipped other examples of Elune not doing anything)

Was she obliged to? Just because Elune exists doesn't mean she's obliged to help at every opportunity, or at all. It's quite possible that she is the kind of deity who largely wants people to figure out things on their own, and will only intervene when it suits her. Doesn't make her less powerful, just means we have to reconsider what we imagine her to be like.

She seems to intervene most directly with the Wild Gods, so perhaps that's her area of concern. Ysera, as much as she was tied to the Emerald Dream, was a creation of the Titans, not Elune. Entirely possible Elune thought that letting her die was suitable to her purposes, rather than letting her live to fulfil the purposes of the titans... but all that is just speculation.

As for elves being descended from trolls, is that actually canon?

It is. It's one of the cooler little bits of lore.

Elune being real is also canon, but that takes the fun out of this discussion.
I believe Elune is the goddess of Balance- when light and the void collided which created life, it created Elune, Void Lords and Naaru.

As "The Light seeks one path and shuns all others as lies. The Shadow seeks every possible path and sees them all as truth." I believe she is "balance" and can see everything.

The moon represents her because the moon is half in shadow and half in light.

I think she is the balance that Velen realises he must seek.
04/02/2018 21:54Posted by Lerquiy
Some have suggested she is Eonar, others that she is a Light equivalent of the Void Lords.

I'm personally into the Eonar theory but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't true.
I'd like to get some different opinions and ideas on this.

Share your thoughts and let's get a discussion going if we can and there's enough people interested.
I hope we never found out. Like many of the mysteries with the Old God's and the Void, that they love to spoil and destroy by making the Void elf class, instead certain things should remain a mystery.

Sure, they should reveal more about Elune, but when everything else in Warcraft is just a big pool of spoilers and explanations for everything, even the parts that's supposed to be beyond mortal comprehension (like shadow/void magic) but is still explained and suddenly mortals can grasp it, when no one else can.

It's lame and it ruins it. Elune has always been the great Moon Goddess of mystery, imagine if they spoiled every aspect about her? Or if she too is another Titan?
How it would ruin the way we used to percieve her.
06/02/2018 19:33Posted by Ernstx
supposed to be beyond mortal comprehension (like shadow/void magic) but is still explained and suddenly mortals can grasp it, when no one else can.

That really has nothing to do with the lore.
Alleria needed some elves to pal around with in the Alliance and Allinace players needed a pretty elf race. Ren'dorei for an edgy purple-black themed race? For reals? Come on...

I loved Alleria's storyline how she masters the Void because she has exceptional willpower. Locus Walker even said none could do it before her except him. And now suddenly we've a whole race made up of edgy elves with void powers...

Elune has always been the great Moon Goddess of mystery, imagine if they spoiled every aspect about her? Or if she too is another Titan?
How it would ruin the way we used to percieve her.

I don't want them to fully and completely explain her, I'm just really interested in her and like speculating. If people don't speculate about a certain mysterious character that means no one gives a !@#$.
i always saw her as the father in star wars: the clone wars trying to keep balance between light and void

"It is only here that I can control them. A family in balance. Day with night. Destruction, replaced by creation."
―The Father
06/02/2018 14:05Posted by Cataclysmic
I believe Elune is the goddess of Balance- when light and the void collided which created life, it created Elune, Void Lords and Naaru.

The collision between light and voi created Fel and the Nether, not Naru etc.

I hope we never found out

Why? I really don't see a problem with explaining their universe. At least they should answer questons, like: Why has Eonar a place called Elunaria.

Posted by Ernstx
supposed to be beyond mortal comprehension (like shadow/void magic) but is still explained and suddenly mortals can grasp it, when no one else can.

That really has nothing to do with the lore.
Alleria needed some elves to pal around with in the Alliance and Allinace players needed a pretty elf race. Ren'dorei for an edgy purple-black themed race? For reals? Come on...

Agreed. They really !@#$ed up with Void elven lore. Oh....we can controll the coid now.... sure....
06/02/2018 14:05Posted by Cataclysmic

The collision between light and voi created Fel and the Nether, not Naru etc.

The collision between light and void created the physical universe and therefore the beings within it.
Elune´s name is not really "Elune" it is El´dude ...and he is a male diety trapped/isolated on the moon, Which is sort of Azeroth´s "basement" where he sits and laments about cool and edgy he is.

He will only speak to females who devote themselves to him and become his "priestesses" who are exclusively female..because "El´dude" has no interest in men..

He also only appears at night! because during the day he sleeps...due to sitting up all night in the "basement" playing games....cause well he does not have a job or friends!

Because these "Titans" came from some place far far away and took all the good jobs...sneaky shifty Titans

Though once during a "blue moon" El´dude will bless the few followers he has left...and when he gazes down on Azeroth and the "priestess" in their skimpy outfits...he will bless them with the "Tears of El´dude" which are suspiciously white....

I never knew water was white..must be some special water indeed!
07/02/2018 19:02Posted by Zynrith
Elune´s name is not really "Elune" it is El´dude ...and he is a male diety trapped/isolated on the moon, Which is sort of Azeroth´s "basement" where he sits and laments about cool and edgy he is.

He will only speak to females who devote themselves to him and become his "priestesses" who are exclusively female..because "El´dude" has no interest in men..

He also only appears at night! because during the day he sleeps...due to sitting up all night in the "basement" playing games....cause well he does not have a job or friends!

Because these "Titans" came from some place far far away and took all the good jobs...sneaky shifty Titans

Though once during a "blue moon" El´dude will bless the few followers he has left...and when he gazes down on Azeroth and the "priestess" in their skimpy outfits...he will bless them with the "Tears of El´dude" which are suspiciously white....

I never knew water was white..must be some special water indeed!

And how do you explain Malorne and Cenarius?
07/02/2018 19:24Posted by Shinil
And how do you explain Malorne and Cenarius?

Before the "races" came to be on Azeroth there was only El´dude and the animals which roamed Azeroth ...and well El´dude was feeling quite lonely one night and...there was noone around to judge him ..

So now he has two astranged animal/semi-animal children which he completly neglects on a planet which has a restraining order against him!

Also this is the reason wild life/flora does not exist on the moon ....it was determind to be a "unhealthy enviroment" to culture such lifeforms
07/02/2018 10:43Posted by Cataclysmic
The collision between light and void created the physical universe and therefore the beings within it.

That's a strange argument. Take the Naru. Chronicles 1 describes how they formed from ligth, nothing else.
07/02/2018 20:19Posted by Qulzan
07/02/2018 10:43Posted by Cataclysmic

That's a strange argument. Take the Naru. Chronicles 1 describes how they formed from ligth, nothing else.

In the beginning, there was the Light and the Void.

From the Light were born Naaru. From the Void were born the Void Lords.

The two powers comingled to create all of reality, with everything having some light and some dark within it.

The edge of reality, where the Light and the Shadow meet, is a place of chaotic that is neither fully creative or fully destructive. This 'edge' is the Twisting Nether, and from its chaos came the fel, and from Fel, Demons.

Hopefully that helps.
"According to the tauren myth Sorrow of the Earthmother, when the Earth Mother saw her children falling to the corrupting whispers from below the earth, (the work of the Old Gods) she tore out her eyes and set them spinning endlessly across the sky. Her left eye became Mu'sha, the moon, and her right eye became An'she, the sun. Neither of both is better than the other, and together they see with balanced vision - they are the tauren's own Light."
08/02/2018 10:54Posted by Ashbringre
"According to the tauren myth Sorrow of the Earthmother, when the Earth Mother saw her children falling to the corrupting whispers from below the earth, (the work of the Old Gods) she tore out her eyes and set them spinning endlessly across the sky. Her left eye became Mu'sha, the moon, and her right eye became An'she, the sun. Neither of both is better than the other, and together they see with balanced vision - they are the tauren's own Light."

Thanks for this. I've seen clips of this text but not all of it.

I've listened to some far out theories of what's going on on Youtube; some say Azeroth may already be corrupted. Others says Elune is being attacked by the void. According to that Tauren lore above, that might fit with Azeroth having already fallen to corruption. Just one possibility.