Major characters ages

Story
So I was looking for the ages of the major characters in the wow setting and had a hard time to find such information. So I think it would be a good idea to make a collection of all of them in one thread.

Horde :
Thrall : 32 at the end of legion, born year 1 ADP
Saurfang : 60-65 no clear indication regarding his birth but he seemed to be a well established warrior but the time of the first war and around the same age or slightly older that Grommash
Eitrig : 64-69 Same as Saurfang no indication to his birth but it is stated that he was by his late 50s at the end of Northrend campaign
Aggra : 23-27 It is stated that she is born of a shattered world so probably after the destruction of Draenor probably around years 8 to 10 ADP
Durak : 3 stated to be 3 at the beginning of legion
Garrosh : 36 at the time of his death as he was stated to be born around year 5 BDP and stayed after contracting the red pox
Baine : 25-28 Stated to be still young around WC3
Hamuul : 70-80 stated to be childhood friend with Cairne who was already considered old during WC3
Magatha : 50s??? Couldn't find any clear indication on this
Vol'jin : 33-40??? by the time of his death not enough information to back that up other than his shadow hunter trial which i assume he had to be an adult to partake so around 20ish.
Rokhan : 35-50 was a fully established shadow hunter by WC3 so safe to assume that he was around his mid to late 20s at the time.
Talanji : 20-30 Couldn’t find any viable information for this but she seems on the younger side of things so maybe 20s or 30s
Rastakhan : 200+ the only information I could find indicates that he ruled for over 200 years
Zul :??? can't find any information regarding this
Gallywix : 45-50 It states that Gallywix started his quest to take over Kezan at the age of 10 and the word many years later is used to describe the time that took him to do so, so probably 10 years. Then by the time of the shattering he has been ruling over the bilgewater cartel for 20 years that was at year 28 ADP.
Thalysra : 10000+ She was born as a night elf pre-sundering as stated by Tyrande so moste likely they have around the same age.
Lor'themar : <1000 He didn't seem to partake in the troll wars so he is definitely less than 3000 years old. He is said to be risen through the ranks of the farstriders. The farstriders were established around 500 ago so it's safe to assume he is younger than that. He also was a lieutenant by the time he was captured by Zul'jin so I don't think he would have been that old since it's stated that he's risen in ranks steadily.
Liadrin : <1000 Probably the same age or slightly younger than Lor'themar. At the time of the scourge invasion she is stated to be
Sylvanas : <1000 by the time of her first death. She is stated to be the youngest to ascend to the title of ranger-general but since the title previously was only held by her grand father and her mother there are no indication to what that could be. I assume she is slightly older than Lor'themar.
Mayla : 25-35 She seems to be the 5th generation ruler of high mountain but that does not give any indication to her true age. But she seems to be on the younger side nonetheless. probably around the same age as Baine or possibly slightly older.

Alliance :
Malfurion : 13000+ was already an established druid by the time of the WotA
Tyrande : 13000>?<10000 Ascended to the title of high priestess during the WotA as the youngest ever. But no real indication to her true age
Shandris : 10000+ she was an adolescent by the time of the WotA
Velen : 25000+ the only know thig is that he was one of the rulers of argus and well respected by the time Sargeras contacted the triumvirate.
Jaina : 36 3 years prior to the first war
Varian : 42 at the time of his death. Born 10 years before the first war
Genn : 90?? Stated to be around 70 by the time of the second war
Anduin : 17 he was nine when wow started.
Mecatork :
Magni :
Moira :
Alleria : <3000 not counting her time in TN. My guess if she really partook in the troll wars she would be at least 3000 years old. This obviously can go as down as couple of hundreds of years since all we know is that she was already a ranger lord by the time of the second war. You add to that the 1000 she spent fighting the legion and we get something between 4000 years and probably 2000 years.
Turalyon : 50+ by azerothes time 1050+ including the 1000 in TN. He is said to already be a venerated priest by the time of the creation of the paladin order. so probably around 30-40 at the time.
Arator : 23-28 Conceived during the second war before the sons of Lothar expedition.
Vareessa : <1000 The youngest of the Windrunner sisters and stated to be barely started her ranger training by the time of the second war.
Khadgar : 50 stated to be 17 when he was sent to apprentice under Me'diev around the events of the dark portal.

Note : I will finish this as I get more information
Do not hesitate if you have information in this regard.
Malfurion, Tyrande, Shandris and Illidan all pre-date the sundering. Velen should be 10s of thousands of years old. Alleria and Turalyon lived a thousand years in alt-timeline space.
Like you've said it's difficult to put a precise age on most of these characters. Only a few characters like Shandris have their age pinpointed to a particular time period. For many characters they were adults when they are first mentioned in Lore and they don't change in appearance for hundreds or thousands of years nevermind the short amount of time the WoW story occurs in.
Twenty-five thousand years ago, the world of Argus was shaped into a paradise by the eredar race who called it home. Velen, who is known and respected for his immense wisdom, compassion and magical prowess, rose as a leader of Argus alongside Kil'jaeden, forming the Second Duumvirate.[15]

but no indication of how long it was ago he was born.
and even on draenor you get indication of some from that planet as well.. some discussing that he can't use the same equipment on draenor because of the fauna.
Sadly its really all the info there is on velen. Tough the only one that seemed to have aged was Velen. go figure.

Tough there were pods on the exodar when they left draenor to put people into stasis. But we only know that it was in the exodar.
21/02/2018 09:02Posted by Veliandis
Twenty-five thousand years ago, the world of Argus was shaped into a paradise by the eredar race who called it home. Velen, who is known and respected for his immense wisdom, compassion and magical prowess, rose as a leader of Argus alongside Kil'jaeden, forming the Second Duumvirate.[15]

but no indication of how long it was ago he was born.
and even on draenor you get indication of some from that planet as well.. some discussing that he can't use the same equipment on draenor because of the fauna.
Sadly its really all the info there is on velen. Tough the only one that seemed to have aged was Velen. go figure.

Tough there were pods on the exodar when they left draenor to put people into stasis. But we only know that it was in the exodar.
velen is older then 25000 years. On argus in flashback when sargeras showed up he was aging already and had long Beard but not white yet.
He is prolly oldest mortal we know off. Maybe locuswalker is older but no idea about his age at all.
Jaina was born 3 years prior to the first war. Since Warlords took place in year 31, according to the ultimate visual guide, further assuming Legion takes place in 32 and Battle for Azeroth in 33, she should be 36 during BfA
If Sylvanas is <1000, wouldn't that make Alleria at least <1000 years old as well? Not sure where you'd factor in her years on the Xenedar though...
Be careful with the Blood Elf ones. Just because the Farstrider order has only existed for five hundred years, doesn't mean that Lor'themar, Sylvanas and co were not already Rangers, the Rangers were around during the Troll Wars, I mean, heck, that's what Alleria was during the Troll Wars, a Ranger.

Once the Farstrider order was formally created, just about all Rangers became part of it, yes, but there have pretty much always been Rangers within the High/Blood Elves. We don't have much information on their ages. If Sylvanas was young for a Ranger General, she is likely younger than Lor'themar, as he worked his way up through the ranks to Ranger-Lord, whereas as she got made Ranger-General when Lireesa died in the second War. Another thing that prompts this is that in her short story 'Edge of Night' Sylvanas is very much described as a child prodigy. It is pretty likely she is either of an age with, or younger than, Lor'themar.

We know Alleria fought in the Troll Wars, we don't know if Lor'themar, Halduron or Sylvanas did.
21/02/2018 13:46Posted by Brigante
We know Alleria fought in the Troll Wars, we don't know if Lor'themar, Halduron or Sylvanas did.

The information about Alleria fighting in the Troll Wars 2800 years ago has probably now been retconned though, as there's no mention of her fighting during that conflict in the canonical Chronicles volume 1. Therefore she should be younger and nowhere near the age of Anasterian Sunstrider.

Also, from WoWpedia:

Alleria's brief entry in the Warcraft Encyclopedia mentions that she fought during the Troll Wars. This would make her at least 2,800 years old. Council of Silvermoon members are noted to be far older than Alleria and only some of them had participated in the Troll Wars. Other elves active during that period, such as the 3,000-year-old Anasterian, are described as the most elderly among their kind, with fittingly frail, wizened, and withered appearances. While Alleria is easily older than any of the humans she interacts with, she is still described as looking young, fit, and beautiful. Alleria's inclusion in the Troll Wars on the Warcraft Encyclopedia might have been a mistake on the writers' part.

Alternatively, the Warcraft Encyclopedia entry might not be referring to the actual Troll Wars of 2,800 years ago, but a more recent conflict with Zul'jin's trolls, making Alleria significantly younger. Zul'jin had been raiding the elves for years and had united many troll warparties. He had initially declined Doomhammer's invitation to join the Horde, but increasing tensions with the elves and their new human allies forced Zul'jin into allying with the orcs. Alleria and the other elven archers embroiled in this bloody conflict were descendents of their elder race.Day of the Dragon says that humanity had just finished dealing with the trolls when the orcs first came through the Dark Portal.
Actually, Varian would have been 42 years old at his death, not 32. That would make him younger than jaina, who was born after him.

Turalyon might be aroung a thousand years. Maybe 1025-1040, if i had to guess.

Arator, born somewhere around the second war/ the draenor expedition, would be ~ 25-28
21/02/2018 14:01Posted by Velsyana
The information about Alleria fighting in the Troll Wars 2800 years ago has probably now been retconned though, as there's no mention of her fighting during that conflict in the canonical Chronicles volume 1. Therefore she should be younger and nowhere near the age of Anasterian Sunstrider.

Aye, I mean they have never formally retconned it, but remember a couple of things, Anasterian was a King, and had the weight of a nation bowing him down. That kind of stuff ages a person ( Gods, you only have to look at a picture of UK PM Tony Blair when he was made Prime Minister, and then a picture of him when he stopped being Prime Minister...) Pretty sure the book where he and Arthas clash personally mentions Three Milennia of rule hanging on him, but even so, Alleria is a Ranger, and they are described as being the Physically, Spiritually and Mentally most healthy of the Elves, which may go some way as to explaining why she still is fairly spry at her age....Either way, they've not formally retconned it yet, and we know that Elves live for 'Several' thousand years. So at least three, but as many as nine. (Probably closer to three though, in fairness)
21/02/2018 14:22Posted by Brigante
Anasterian was a King, and had the weight of a nation bowing him down. That kind of stuff ages a person ( Gods, you only have to look at a picture of UK PM Tony Blair when he was made Prime Minister, and then a picture of him when he stopped being Prime Minister...)

Good thing Lor'themar didn't suddenly get old despite carrying the Blood Elves through troubled and dark times times of their history then (arguably darker than the long period of reign of Anasterian..). Also I seem to recall that Rommath is described as a "senior" elf (usually leaning on his staff and calling Aethas a "young upstart") so I think Rommath is older than Lor'themar, actually.

But I agree with the fact that, just because the Farstriders were officially created "only" 500 years ago, that doesn't mean Lor'themar and Sylvanas are younger than 500. They could have been around already even before the Farstriders were made into an official organization, so they could be very well older than 1000, possibly even close to 2000 years old.
21/02/2018 14:56Posted by Velsyana
so I think Rommath is older than Lor'themar, actually.

Almost certainly. I would be -very- surprised if he was not. Of the Triumvirate I kind of see it being Rommath as the oldest, Lor'themar next, then Halduron, but to be honest, all of them likely predate the Farstriders as an organisation, and Halduron doesn't seem -that- young. I'm leaning towards all three of them actually being older than Sylvanas, which would go a further way towards explaining the resentment when her boytoy was brought into the Farstriders.

Also, Isn't Genn closer to Eighty? I mean still old, but not ninety. You can still be a kickass warrior in old age. ( Fun Fact, You know the Count Dooku/Yoda Fight in the Star Wars Prequels, Sir Christopher Lee doing all that ninjamatic sword fighting with a Lightsaber? He was Eighty at the time. No stunt double, that was all him.)
I'd assume that it is the Worgen transformation which is helping Genn out rather than his personal fitness as he approaches his life expectancy. Compare the world record for men's 100m vs 100 year old men's 100m. Less than 10 seconds vs more than 30 seconds.
This puts forward another question. Does the Worgen transformation give longevity to those who receive it? Perhaps Genn will live on for a long time despite his old looks. Other transformations like the Lightforging and becoming Undead seem to untether mortals to their natural life span. Even Night Elves life expectancy was linked to being high on Azeroth fumes.
21/02/2018 13:11Posted by Valistri
If Sylvanas is <1000, wouldn't that make Alleria at least <1000 years old as well? Not sure where you'd factor in her years on the Xenedar though...

I also believe that Alleria is under 1000 years old if you don't factor the 1000 in TN. Because she seems to keep repeating that as if it was a long time for her which would be weird if she already lived for 3000 years.

21/02/2018 13:46Posted by Brigante

I think the Alleria thing a people said is probably not canon anymore or it seems it was a mistake. Also Sylvanas seems to have risen through the rangers ranks as well before becoming ranger-general so I think like you said her and Lor'themar should "roughly" be around the same age give or take a couple of hundred years XD XD

21/02/2018 14:06Posted by Meraal
Actually, Varian would have been 42 years old at his death, not 32. That would make him younger than jaina, who was born after him.

Turalyon might be aroung a thousand years. Maybe 1025-1040, if i had to guess.

Arator, born somewhere around the second war/ the draenor expedition, would be ~ 25-28

My bad fixed that. I'm also updating the info that I have with those you're contribution if they are more accurate.
Khadgar was 17 when he became apprentice to Medivh so he is at least 50 in BfA.

To back up the claim comes from novel the Last Guardian. It is old one (also one of the best Warcraft novels) and probably mostly non-canon now thanks to Chronicles but I think it can be trusted in things like age and such.
Lothar looked at the lad. “How old are you, lad?”
Khadgar looked at the older man. “Seventeen. Why?”

Grubb, Jeff. The Warcraft: The Last Guardian (p. 80). World Wrestling Entertainment. Kindle Edition.
Aside from what age the npc's might have, I'd sort of be interested what the approx. age of our characters is, when they start out on Level 1...well and how much time actually goes by when questen through the expansions. Even those who have been arounf since the beginning of classic, they haven't actually played the character from birth to now. Even if we say our characters were at least 18 when embarking on their heroic journey by gaining the first levels, you can't actually count the lore-time of the wars since we actually only played fragments of the actual happenings in the background. Also expansions like WoD or Legion go sort of back in time to events way prior to the "birth" of our characters ^^
Wasn't Vol'Jin younger than Thrall?

Thrall was 19 in WC3 from what I know
Vol'Jin barely reached maturity on Darkspear Isles when he passed his shadow hunter training.

And the only source we had about troll adulthood is that they reach maturity at age of 17, and it's only RPG material.

Anyway in that short story he was described as very young.

We don't know how old is Rokhan but I'm sure he has less than 50 years. even if he was fully established shadow hunter he could still be 19.

Shadow hunter Rala and Mala are also young and apparently they're kids of Ty'Jin. (very cute minor detail).
12/10/2018 17:32Posted by Zakkaru
Wasn't Vol'Jin younger than Thrall?Thrall was 19 in WC3 from what I knowVol'Jin barely reached maturity on Darkspear Isles when he passed his shadow hunter training. And the only source we had about troll adulthood is that they reach maturity at age of 17, and it's only RPG material.Anyway in that short story he was described as very young.We don't know how old is Rokhan but I'm sure he has less than 50 years. even if he was fully established shadow hunter he could still be 19. Shadow hunter Rala and Mala are also young and apparently they're kids of Ty'Jin. (very cute minor detail).

It's likely Vol'jin was younger, yeah, it was Sen'jin that Thrall worked with most in the formation of the Horde. There isn't any reason to believe that Trolls age vastly differently to humans, in fact I would arguably say, given their regenerative abilities, that they do not -live- longer, but stay hale and hearty longer, before a sudden decline in very old age. Without going too grim about it, and apologies if it upsets anyone, but given what regeneration is, and what cancer is, Trolls are probably far more susceptible to that disease, given that Cancer is unrestricted cellular growth, which, trolls are kind of born with. It'll keep 'em good and healthy, even in old age, and then suddenly they will hit that decline... Just about every WoW race that is playable seems to reach adulthood at the same time, both physically and culturally, but some (mostly Elves) remain at that healthy state for their entire lives, before a period of decline later.

We now have new Lore on this, we know that Night, Blood and High Elves can be 7,000 years old, and still physically fit and healthy. (Obviously Night Elves had that whole 'immortality' thing for a bit, so rather than crumbling to dust, just sort of pick up ageing where they left off).

I just re-read 'Shadows of the Horde' a few days back, as it happens, I always had a soft spot for Vol'jin, but if I had to ascribe an age to him I would say in his early thirties.

I don't know, might be how the author tries to write a sympathetic character, because we find it naturally easier to identify with our own life experiences, but Vol'jin always struck me as early thirties, at least in human terms. Possibly a bit older....
That's some strange theory regarding regeneration.

As for the age, yeah I'd say that at the times of WC3 he was 17.
"The Judgement" stated he was very young.
and only RPG knowledge that trolls are young adults at 17'.