Why I don't like leveling

General
I don't know what possessed me to do it, but yesterday I made a Nightborne Warrior and started questing. By today, I had made it to level 27 and I don't think I'll be carrying on.

In my opinion, the difficulty or speed of leveling was never the problem. Yes it was way easier before 7.3.5, but you know what else is easy? Endgame world content. As a 969 BrM, there's not a damn thing in Legion's overworld that presents a challenge, but I'm still having a lot more fun while doing stuff on this character.

And why is that? Simply because my spec works. I have a fully unlocked artifact, legendaries, gear and a complete spellbook - all the things that make the spec play the way it is supposed to play.

Meanwhile on my level 27 Nightborne Fury Warrior, what do I have? No artifact, no oranges, no gear, no talents, no nothing.
Yeah mobs live a touch longer than before the patch, but the gameplay itself is still dreadfully dull and boring.

It's painfully clear that the classes are designed entirely around endgame, and as a result the leveling process is a complete mess. I honestly cannot wrap my head around how so many people can be so zealous about keeping this mess intact.
For me levling is meditative. No stress about completing weekly tasks. Just following the yellow brick road in my own pace.
Nothing like stating the obvious ....
I enjoy leveling, it's a nice change from end game grind.
16/02/2018 20:53Posted by Zeldaedvin
For me levling is meditative. No stress about completing weekly tasks. Just following the yellow brick road in my own pace.

I think that's the obvious,people are ether trying to force power level or look at it as this chore to make it somehow as fast as possible to end game.
Maybe look at it from diffreint angle,and level it when it suits you.
I liked questing when i was new, now its just an obstacle that hinders me from player content that i enjoy.

Dungeons boosts helped me reach my content faster, but the loud minority detected fun.
16/02/2018 20:45Posted by Svetä
It's painfully clear that the classes are designed entirely around endgame, and as a result the leveling process is a complete mess.

Always will be, a mass algorithm tweak won't improve things and we aren't likely to see an attempted overhaul like Cata, just more number juggling.

The game is in the final stages of the product life cycle so all you can expect moving forward is paying more for less because that's what they do best, they don't innovate at Lactivision they just formulate based on long term exploitation strategies and franchise loyalty. Oligarchs of the gaming industry
I love leveling til 60, after 60 it feels like you're not leveling at all even though you've done quite a lot.... ... until 90, 90-100 is quite rewarding
Now tell us why we should care you're quitting? Not sure if you mean levelling or the game.
Use what you have. Learn them. How they work. Repeatedly use the non optimal skill availability to do best you can.

People always say taht you dont learn class while leveling because you dont even have all skills yet, ect.

I never could play arcane properly before. I had another mage before i made this void elf, but I never could get hold of arcane playstyle. Yet, somewhere along the way I started leveling as arcane, because on lower level it worked the best (in my opinion). As I got to higher levels I just sort of learned the small tricks and things along the way.
Once I reached legion levels and eventually max level, all those little things were already learned and I could simply use optimal rotations, ect. because i did no longer have to learn the small tricks.

There is a purpose in leveling and not having all skills yet. Basically when you start, you have only the absolute base things. You have to learn do with those first and, in a way, as you level you get upgraded. You merely add to what you already had and optimize.
There is no variety in the way you level in this game now. Every mob is the same boring yellow mirror level mob with zero difficulty, but with a massive hp pool. Quests have not changed so the illusion of difficulty is basically to give the Level 11 Murloc a 1 to 60 elastic mirror that just gives the feeling you are fighting something challenging. But sadly what this means is there is no way to punch above or below your weight. No reds and no greys.

Before your could entertain yourself by tripping over into higher areas. You could also be overpowered when doing menial tasks such as arch, gathering, pet battles in lower zones where you didn't want to be tagged by the trash mobs. Now though you have to deal with the trash just like you deal with , well , any mob in the game. There just aint any variety anywhere. Why folk keep going on about how they love levelling now, I just dont get. They are all armed to the teeth with looms and just like fighting yellows. Where on earth is the challenge in any of this. Its just so dull.

For goodness sake the game has never been less rewarding. Its just one linear quest based mirror scaled HP fest which uses all the same mobs, quests and challenges that have been in existence since the launch of each of the expansions. I am convinced you could stick a tree in the middle of a field with a gzillion HP and these guys would go bash the brains out of it. Killing stuff is fine, but come on it surely offers zero challenge when the mob is always going to be a mirror of you as a player. This game has never been like that, well up to Legion. And now its got the same rubber stamp mirror nonsense all over the map. Just where do you find a different route through it?

I guarantee that when the dungeon boosts kick in again all these so called levelling lovers will run back to the safe and fast route of dungeons. And why, cus they can get to end game fast. And that leaves players like me that actually liked and enjoyed levelling having to deal with the tedious annoyance of Level 11 Murlocs tagging me at 55 while I arch or pet battle just cus they magically are now level 55 [ yawn ]. Fighting is OK but we should be able to pick our battles. We should also attain supremacy and be overpowered to certain mobs.

This game defies simple logic now when it comes to mob strengths and in time players will get real bored of not being able to work their own path through the game. For now you are stuck levelling a quest based path where every mob from 1 to 110 is going to be the exact same level as you. Where is the fun in that ?
Wow, this thread is both new and interesting.
The issue isn't new yet it still persists, and the defenders seem to completely ignore it.
If the game expects me to spend hours upon hours on leveling a character, then it should give me gameplay to match the time investment. It's as simple as that.
17/02/2018 08:05Posted by Svetä
f the game expects me to spend hours upon hours on leveling a character, then it should give me gameplay to match the time investment. It's as simple as that.

Waw that's quite the technical wording you got there,mind giving me an input to what you mean?

By your logic classes where designed for end game since Wrath,and yet people somehow managed it.
And people are overselling the "slog" part,i got a 7.3.0 1-110 Warrior with /played 2 days and 10h,and a 7.3.5 20-100 Warlock with /played 1 day and 20h.

Now that the actually numbers are starting to show up,its clear to me people are uninformed and post just for the band wagon.
hmm do not know, about not having skills to use, if I recall, wow has never had that, even in Vanilla you didnt have many skills to use, though you got them faster due to only having 60 levels, this is the biggest problem it now takes longer to unlock your skills, what makes it that you can go through 10 to 20 levels or even more whit no real skills to use, this depending on class a lot also.
how to make it better I am not sure about, becuse there is no way Blizzard could give us a lot more skills to use, becuse if they do that, game would become even more unblanaced, and you would end up whit 30+ buttons to press at max level, what honestly is not needed even if some thinks so.

thing is quests from lvl 1 to 85 needs an overhaul to make it more fluid than it is now, now you get some quests totaly odd, like you get 1 quest to a place, that can take a while to do, and once you done that quest and hand it it, oh behold now you all of an sudden get 3 new quests to exact same place for no apparent reason at all.
this doesnt happen in pandaria, wod or legion, you most of the time get all quests and then do it, and maby 1 quest to kill some leader and then continue to next place, pace in questing feels fluid and you can se that you are progressing through the zones, instead of running back and forth to same town.
17/02/2018 08:05Posted by Svetä
The issue isn't new yet it still persists, and the defenders seem to completely ignore it.
If the game expects me to spend hours upon hours on leveling a character, then it should give me gameplay to match the time investment. It's as simple as that.

However, other players may feel totally opposite in their views to yours, so what can the company do?

They cant cater to just one point of view, they need to cater for all.

In short, why do you think your opinion is the correct one, and expect change, when others may be polar opposite to yours.
So what do you propose? Fully powered artefact, gear and talents at level 1?

The whole levelling process is meant to be a power increase as you level up. That is how it has always been. You are not meant to be fully powerful or a complete class from the very start, WoW's whole levelling process has always been this way.

If it were not this way, then there would be no point in a max level cap or end game. If you had everything from day one, what would be the point in levelling in the first place?
17/02/2018 00:40Posted by Kaden
People always say taht you dont learn class while leveling because you dont even have all skills yet, ect.

Because that's true
Esp now,many of your priorities change with Artifact weapons,atleast for the classes I play.
I think some people are mixing mmo's with FPS,mob's who in todays market got only the character grind at max level,where as in mmo's aside the questing you got the end game too.
Not saying this current leveling process is perfect but the argument how your character doesnt play the same as in max is exactly the point of it all..so imo its a poor argument on the OP's part.
17/02/2018 01:29Posted by Isdy
This game defies simple logic now when it comes to mob strengths and in time players will get real bored of not being able to work their own path through the game. For now you are stuck levelling a quest based path where every mob from 1 to 110 is going to be the exact same level as you. Where is the fun in that ?

I would beg to differ. Level scaling has opened up the levelling process by allowing you to chose where to level instead of being funnelled into particular zones which you out level in no time and then you are back travelling to the next predetermined zone.

While I understand some people feel the need to be 'supreme' to a npc mob, I feel the scaling has more pros than cons. However each to their own I guess.