Anyone else feel kind of ashamed about playing WoW?

General
I used WoW as an example of team work in an interview and got the job.
That should show how little I care and how little others care.
I find that the kinds of people who are ashamed of their hobbies are either very young, or very inexperienced in life. You can take that however you choose, although I'm gonna guess you'd be offended. Maybe cos it's true?

Life's too short to care about what other people think. If you live life trying to be what you think other people think you should be, you're going to be miserable. I honestly don't understand why anyone concerns themselves with all of that noise.
well no i never get ashamed or tired of playing it
soloing old raids for tmogs mounts or achieves is something that never gets old
when you get the mount atlast you will be proud of yourself
"after so much runs on alts it finally dropped""

like my guild master he ran icc 25 hc lk alot and he finally got invincible

the only part is uh waiting for next pvp season to start as im currently prestiege capped i wanna see the next prestiege ranks/glad gear drops and hopefully seething shore bg
Given that all the people I regularly meet are not gamers, talking about wow or games in general is just pointless: they couldn't relate or judge me as they literally would have no idea what I'm talking about.
No, not really, I've never felt ashamed to tell someone I play games in my spare time.
21/02/2018 20:40Posted by Oniyate
I find that the kinds of people who are ashamed of their hobbies are either very young, or very inexperienced in life. You can take that however you choose, although I'm gonna guess you'd be offended. Maybe cos it's true?

Life's too short to care about what other people think. If you live life trying to be what you think other people think you should be, you're going to be miserable. I honestly don't understand why anyone concerns themselves with all of that noise.

Well, I did not mean it that literally as you understood. More of a showerthought.

But, in a more general sense, people are social (maybe not so much in WoW), and their choices and actions are much influenced by others. To completely disregard what others think, would be to become a sociopath.
Tbh I started playing so I could take the p#@! Out of my brother in law but that was 9 years ago and I'm still here. but I'm a little ashamed that I play as im 41 but a few years ago my kidneys packed up (didn't know till I ended up in hospital lol) and this game kept me going through some very tough times as I'm married and have 3 kids so had to keep a brave face in public but I could just escape here and lose my self in some random farm for a mount or a pet, I only do lfr (I'm not very good even after all these years). but yes I don't tell people due to the stigma but deep down I care and love this game lol.
21/02/2018 18:35Posted by Tahamine
Yeah, I'm ashamed of every game I play /s

It's better than being drunk every night / doing drugs etc.

Lol xD.

Well I wouldn't go so far to call it better, but it's definitely cheaper^^

@OP The only time I felt ashamed was when a gnome ganked me, but then I fell of my bed and all was fine :)
21/02/2018 21:33Posted by Felsaw
No, not really, I've never felt ashamed to tell someone I play games in my spare time.

I second that!
Nope, to non gamers it doesnt really matter what you are playing. World of warcraft is nearly the same as playing mario or battlefield to them. Maybe only other gamers might criticize you for your gamechoice, but those general are just bitter fanboys who think whatever they play is the superior thing. I couldnt care less what people think about what i play, if they are bothered by what i play they tend to be idiot fanboys that scream nothing besides PC MASTERRACE or similair things like the whole marvel fanboys vs DC fanboys you see

I could be playing hello kitty adventure island for all i care without it being anyone elses business
21/02/2018 22:20Posted by Espanca
21/02/2018 18:35Posted by Tahamine
Yeah, I'm ashamed of every game I play /s

It's better than being drunk every night / doing drugs etc.

Lol xD.

@OP The only time I felt ashamed was when a gnome ganked me, but then I fell of my bed and all was fine :)
I have no interest in getting drunk every night nor doing drugs.

In terms of an alcoholic / the more dangerous drugs.
21/02/2018 23:09Posted by Tahamine
21/02/2018 22:20Posted by Espanca

I have no interest in getting drunk every night nor doing drugs.

Every other night.
21/02/2018 23:11Posted by Moritz
21/02/2018 23:09Posted by Tahamine
...I have no interest in getting drunk every night nor doing drugs.

Every other night.
Meh, I can have plenty of fun without the stuff lol :p
wow4lyf
WoW is my dirty little secret. So yeah.
21/02/2018 22:07Posted by Morganos
Tbh I started playing so I could take the p#@! Out of my brother in law but that was 9 years ago and I'm still here. but I'm a little ashamed that I play as im 41 but a few years ago my kidneys packed up (didn't know till I ended up in hospital lol) and this game kept me going through some very tough times as I'm married and have 3 kids so had to keep a brave face in public but I could just escape here and lose my self in some random farm for a mount or a pet, I only do lfr (I'm not very good even after all these years). but yes I don't tell people due to the stigma but deep down I care and love this game lol.

I am in the same boat, age wise. I don't bring it up on conversation due to the stigma.
21/02/2018 16:30Posted by Harlee
I have been a proud gamer since the days of the Atari 2600... why should I be ashamed?

I agree with OP some of my friends are vanilla players when we were +- 14-15 years old and quit when tbc hit and they all think playing wow now is only for people who have no life and no future. and are sad. That's literally how they think. They don't play any games any more and completely focus on their work (boring) they can't even understand how playing games is fun at my age 27. which I think is not even that old. Sometimes I even wonder why I am still friends with them but I know most of them since i was like 6 y old
It's not really a topic of conversation that comes up, besides, World of Warcraft has been mainstream for a short period of time. If it ever does come up in a conversation, it's mostly "I played that at one time."
I'm from Denmark. There was a media study done a while ago that showed that 96% of all Danish male teenagers (13-19y) played video games, and 49% of them played video games daily.
Even amongst slightly older people (20-29y) the number is 37%.

In practicality it means that if I sit across some dude I've never seen before and want to talk to him, then I have a very high chance of hitting a main interest of his by talking about video games or sports. It's almost guaranteed. Even a social monkey like me can easily strike up a conversation when I sit with such easy cards in my hand.

If you love playing WoW you're in the same boat as many other guys. It's not odd or anything. Just the fact that you play video games means you have a lot in common with most other guys around you, most likely.

Now girls....that's a different topic ;P
But even amongst those you have some crazy stats like 10% of women over 50y play video games on a regular basis (Candy Crush and such, not Counter Strike).
No, never. Even 20 years ago when gaming was far less common, and even looked down on, I never felt I needed to pretend like I wasn't a massive nerd.