Realms with insane faction balance , how did it happen ?

General
Hey guys I would simply like to know how servers like Outland , Twisting nether , silvermoon became 99% vs 1% faction imbalanced.

I remember in TBC recommending horde guildies to make pvp chars on Outland for the horde side. It was 56% Alliance 44% horde back in 2007. How did the horde pop drop by 43% ?

What happened ? Reputation ? Top guilds playing there ? Just like a history on how it all happened that those realm got to that point.
free server transfers, along with a self perpetuating problem of horde having the best racials for raiding in the past so it goes something like this:

>horde has best racials so people faction change
>server doesn't have a decent population so they leave realm to go elsewhere
>as a result of the horde players leaving the alliance side dominates the server and cause people that come to the realm or start playing fresh to play alliance side as the horde population isn't good enough on the server for what they want from the game
>rinse and repeat across the entire playerbase.
03/03/2018 01:41Posted by Sozin
free server transfers, along with a self perpetuating problem of horde having the best racials for raiding in the past so it goes something like this:

>horde has best racials so people faction change
>server doesn't have a decent population so they leave realm to go elsewhere
>as a result of the horde players leaving the alliance side dominates the server and cause people that come to the realm or start playing fresh to play alliance side as the horde population isn't good enough on the server for what they want from the game
>rinse and repeat across the entire playerbase.

Well I know this isn't a classic wow topic but i'm really hoping we don't see these numbers on those realms when they come out. I know 50-50 will never happen but nice to have a close balance.
You can't play with the opposite faction in PvE so basically faction balance is not even a consideration when it comes to choosing a server. It makes sense from a player point of view to want to be on a server that is highly populated on your side so you have plenty of players to play with.
As an individual player, the only good you ever get from a player of the opposite faction is the chance for World PvP, if you enjoy that. There is an RP angle as well, in that players on RP realms can arrange crross-faction events, but that applies only to RP realms. And the World PvP exception of course applies only to people who want to spend time on World PvP, which I think is a small minority.

Other than that, if a new player joins your realm, you always want him to join your faction.

If you are rational and choosing a realm, except for these same exceptions, you want to join a realm with the fewest possible of the other faction.

The majority of rational people voted with their feet, and made one-sided realms.

The question is why realms weren't always like this.

When I joined in Cata, Outland was 55/45 or 60/40 at worst. Why was it so balanced? I think it was because some tradition or memory of World PvP was still alive then. Sickening perhaps, coming down with something, but still breathing.

Racials and transfers certainly speeded up the process, as Sozin described, but the basic logic forces the move as surely as water flowing downhill.

The same logic does apply to Classic PvE realms. However, in Classic PvP realms, WPvP will not be such a farce, with flying level 100s ganking levelling 50s, and I think the people who choose to go there will want to keep it alive.
03/03/2018 01:50Posted by Bilban
Well I know this isn't a classic wow topic but i'm really hoping we don't see these numbers on those realms when they come out. I know 50-50 will never happen but nice to have a close balance.
No indeed, but 40-60 at it's worst should be the boundary. It passes this and Blizzard should have had taken action which they sadly never did. But luckily they are scrappping PvP realms now so factions will start to matter less.
03/03/2018 01:50Posted by Bilban
I know this isn't a classic wow topic but i'm really hoping we don't see these numbers on those realms when they come out. I know 50-50 will never happen but nice to have a close balance.

When WoW was new, Blizzard would lock new character creation on a given server for the faction that was substantially larger (unless players already had a character in that faction). They dropped this practice a few months after the European launch, though, because people complained that they can't play with their friends. If they wanted, they could enforce balanced populations once again.
Very few players want to be on the losing side, no matter what they consider "losing".

Your best raid teams complained about trouble recruiting people and moved to a bigger server? Why would anyone else stay if they style themself any sort of serious about raiding?

Or a very old example from the time of the unlinked Battlegroups - Ruin was rather Alliance-heavy to start with but otherwise small so Arena was easier, with less hard opponents and lower requirements. And gearing up for it was easy too as Alliance since they usually started any BG fight with a full team vs Horde at 50-70% - which rarely was 100% even at the end of the fight. LK era had Allies swarm in even more for the free Wintergrasp wins, the only time the outnumbered Horde could win was 0500 or immediately after Wednesday reset. If your standards are only "it was fair if I won" there's really no reason to not take advantage of the situation.
03/03/2018 01:32Posted by Bilban
Hey guys I would simply like to know how servers like Outland , Twisting nether , silvermoon became 99% vs 1% faction imbalanced.

I remember in TBC recommending horde guildies to make pvp chars on Outland for the horde side. It was 56% Alliance 44% horde back in 2007. How did the horde pop drop by 43% ?

What happened ? Reputation ? Top guilds playing there ? Just like a history on how it all happened that those realm got to that point.

Realms being uneven and then Blizzard rolls out discounts. Which makes loads of players leave the same servers, joining the same 4-5 servers. They become over populated.

Meanwhile Blizzard doesn't roll out fixes fast enough, so we end up with loads of realms having an uneven balance and a lot of very low populated servers.
03/03/2018 03:58Posted by Essea
Very few players want to be on the losing side, no matter what they consider "losing".

Your best raid teams complained about trouble recruiting people and moved to a bigger server? Why would anyone else stay if they style themself any sort of serious about raiding?

Or a very old example from the time of the unlinked Battlegroups - Ruin was rather Alliance-heavy to start with but otherwise small so Arena was easier, with less hard opponents and lower requirements. And gearing up for it was easy too as Alliance since they usually started any BG fight with a full team vs Horde at 50-70% - which rarely was 100% even at the end of the fight. LK era had Allies swarm in even more for the free Wintergrasp wins, the only time the outnumbered Horde could win was 0500 or immediately after Wednesday reset. If your standards are only "it was fair if I won" there's really no reason to not take advantage of the situation.

This.

With PvP Realms this gets even more screwy, as ‘there is no World PvP anymore!’ never really applied to members of the minority Faction yet few people took up the challenge.

Also, all the Accountwide features, merged Auction Houses, and very similar in looks if not downright the same Quests means that there is less and less point in play8ng the other Faction on the same Realm. A couple of World Events having (for the moment) different Vendorables and that is pretty much it.

So while we once again gear up for the now-truely tired ‘Faction war’, the game itself has become more and more interchangeable between the Factions, with the old 1-60 distinction (Horde having potentially harder content with fitting rewards) having gone bye-bye with Cata.