All races should be able to be Paladins

General
Not nearly all races have connections to church of the light or the order of the silver hand, sure, but that's not what you need to be a Paladin.

Lore-wise, gaining these types of powers is almost insultingly easy. If you have a strong will and lots of faith in something, then when you ask for power, SOMETHING will answer. Because of this, there's no actual reason why any of the races couldn't have produced Paladins by now, and that includes Forsaken and Void Elves.

Obviously the holy light wouldn't really work for those two races, but since when is the light the only source of power around? The alternative is right there in the Void Elves' name - Void Paladins.

Blizzard has been pushing the light = void thing pretty damn hard since we got to Argus, so I see no reason why Void Paladin shouldn't be possible.
A Paladin is a religious warrior who is granted power by one of the primal forces of the universe through his faith. He then smears the essence of that primal force all over his weapons and smacks people with it. The only thing that would be different for a Void Paladin is a color swap. Instead of drawing on the light, they'd be drawing on the void.

Night Elves worship the moon, Trolls and Zandalari worship the Loa, Tauren worship the earthmother, Pandaren worship the brew, Orcs worship the ancestors, etc. Most every race has SOME form of faith that could grant them the powers of the light.

Nightborne are a bit more iffy, granted, but frankly I'd argue that "Arcane Paladin" would be a smaller breach of lore than having members of a society based ENTIRELY around magic say "screw that", pick up daggers, a bow or a broadsword and follow the ways of the Rogue/Hunter/Warrior
18/02/2018 23:07Posted by Svetä
Pandaren worship the brew

lol what
Some races are pure non-sense for a Paladin class, such as: Undead, Trolls, Gnomes, NElfs and for me even Tauren.
If you have a strong will and lots of faith in something, then when you ask for power, SOMETHING will answer.

Not necessarily. The broken are cut off from the light, so it's a reasonable assumption that the same is true of at least orcs (and likely Forsaken and void elves as well).
Blood elves started with Blood Knights draining a naaru essence, and then using the light as they would any magic source. Since then, their light usage is more harmonious with the Sunwell, but if they wanted to or needed to, they could just forcibly use Sunwell's light. So theeeeeeeoretically you could have Nightborne paladins if they are taught by blood elves. I don't really see other races using this particular method, if only because not everyone has access to Sunwell.

Honestly, most of the races for whom having paladins made sense already have their paladin orders, for others it would be a stretch at best.
Blizzard has been pushing the light = void thing pretty damn hard since we got to Argus, so I see no reason why Void Paladin shouldn't be possible.

Bo they are polar opposites.

A Paladin is a religious warrior who is granted power by one of the primal forces of the universe through his faith.

No, just the light.

Trolls and Zandalari worship the Loa,

Loa are wild gods not the Light.

18/02/2018 23:15Posted by Sighuman
Some races are pure non-sense for a Paladin class, such as: Undead, Trolls, Gnomes, NElfs and for me even Tauren.

Nelves make perfect sense. Paladins in game are effectively holy warriors. The only paladin paladin are dwarves and humans, the rest worship the Light in some way or another. The other races have counterpart organisations.

The Night Elves revere Elune. What is she, we don't know, but she's a source of 'the Light'. Sentinels call upon the Light in battle. Sounds loosely like a paladin is it not.

After Sunwalkers, basic campfires should be paladins.

A drinking problem is not the same as a religion.

As for paladins, as far as i know it's the combination of a priest and warrior so it seems at least plausable that any race with acess to these classes could become paladins. Yet it is implied that it's not as straight forward as simply training in both from some minor descriptions regarding the story of kel'thuzad I think.

As for void paladins, as cool as the re-colour would be, I think it would be a wasted opportunity. The idea of a void-based warrior class could be awesome for a new class, if they could figure it out mechanically.

However if there is a parallel between the void and the light, and it may become a significant obstacle in the future, it would mean that any vulnerability in the void would have an analogue within the light. This in itself would give the paladin orders pause for thought, particularly among the alliance where they seem to have more political power. Beyond that, it may very easily open a plot hole, or several, for blizzard.
not at all easiest to come to mind is undead they can't embrace the light because well curses etc whatever.
19/02/2018 01:54Posted by Korvik

As for void paladins, as cool as the re-colour would be, I think it would be a wasted opportunity. The idea of a void-based warrior class could be awesome for a new class, if they could figure it out mechanically.

What are you talking about? Classes nowadays are almost the same. Unique mechanics are dead. They just need to stick a combo system(holy power in the paladin's case) and voila.
19/02/2018 02:15Posted by Vanquisher
What are you talking about? Classes nowadays are almost the same. Unique mechanics are dead. They just need to stick a combo system(holy power in the paladin's case) and voila.

Isn't that a bit spurious? My dk doesn't play the same as my monk, which doesn't play the same as my druid which doesn't play the same as my shaman.
18/02/2018 23:15Posted by Sighuman

I agree entirely with this, you could add pandaren and goblins to this list as well
18/02/2018 23:11Posted by Froia

lol what

What's wrong with that?
19/02/2018 03:14Posted by Beerwolf
18/02/2018 23:11Posted by Froia

lol what

What's wrong with that?

Have you heard of the August Celestials?
19/02/2018 00:28Posted by Someoneelse
After Sunwalkers, basic campfires should be paladins.

This proper made me laugh xD
19/02/2018 01:54Posted by Korvik
A drinking problem is not the same as a religion.
speak for yourself
There is a reason why only 2 races can be Demon Hunters.

I think as it is already, too many races can be too many classes and it's ruining the class fantasy. Blizzard need to stop making everyone and their mums the same class. Besides, there are specific racial combos that would make it insane for PVP.

Imagine a Gnome Paladin. Try keeping that off you in Arena with all the tricks to get out of CC and Roots.

I even think Monks were too widely available in MoP. Undead being monks? A kick from a boney leg with hardly any muscle? A Gnome Monk?

What makes D&D so cool is the fact it has very strict rules for each class and race - meaning there are a lot more potential for each class and the class fantasies are really strong.

That's why I'm quite pleased Demon Hunters only were available to Night Elves and Blood Elves. I hope it stays that way, although I can see Void Elves and Nightborne being added to that pool later.

But the day I see a Gnome demon hunter, I think I'll uninstall.
im not sure if this well-thought argument has been said already but why dont you just roll a warrior instead
Forsaken and Void Elves.

Obviously the holy light wouldn't really work for those two races
Priests say hello.

While you might say they don't work conceptually, they're there mechanically. The Light is the Light, whether a paladin or a priest wields it.

There's certainly race/class combinations that seem insensible; but a lot of them are already in the game.
The Paladin Class is the Militant arm of those who worship the Light as their faith.

Certain Races do not worship the Light in any form, or are unable to channel such a destructive force version of the Light without certain peril to themselves. Void Elves and Undead could not exist with such aggressive rampant Faith "Magic" pulsing through them, but their faith would still allow them to channel the positive aspects of their worship.

Other races do not have the cultural makeup to form large (if any) cadres of Militant Faith Knights. Trolls and Orcs do not put emphasis on their faith in combat, rather honour, self assistance and brute strength.

There are different Faiths and Worship Targets in WoW; different races worship different dieties or supernatural forces. The binding aspect of this is the organising of Good and Evil forces. Priests worship their various faiths but are bound together, using the same "magics" because they are focusing the "Good" qualities of their respective faiths.

On the otherhand, Shadow (Old God) magic encompasses a lot of what is "Evil". So lacking is this school of Worship Magic in "Good" qualities, that it makes up the vast bulk of the DPS Priest focus.

Equally, the Light is the only "Good" faith that is aggressive enough to be channeled into the combat style of a Paladin.
then when you ask for power, SOMETHING will answer

(citation needed)