Boxed CE and Preorders

General
Hi,

I was wondering if we could get any official word on how Blizzard is planning on handling the preorder bonus for those of us, such as myself, who prefer buying the boxed Collector's Edition of BfA but are now missing out on roughly 8 months of this bonus.

I understand that with Legion they did a key refund, which wasn't an option for me then (and isn't now) because friends that I have that want to play BfA are either preordering already or will buy a boxed CE like me. With Legion, it wasn't that big of a deal because the preorder timeframe was only a few weeks before Legion came out. Annoying, but doable. However, we're looking at quite a few months now.

I can see why giving out codes with preordering a boxed edition may be an issue. What if those people suddenly cancel their preorder? There'd have to be a limit set to these codes that they deactivate allied races if you don't apply a 'full code' once BfA comes out (kind of how the f2p til level 20 thing works now I imagine, but I'm not a game developer)
Other options already suggested several times by others on the forum, if we have to use digital preorder (and basically buy the game twice..) :

- Refund the key to Battle.net Balance so we can spend it on something else like mounts. This way, the money stays with Blizzard regardless.

- Refund the key to gametime equivalent.

I hope we can get a clear answer on this sooner rather than later. Is Blizzard actually even discussing this internally right now?
20/02/2018 08:55Posted by Taranee
I hope we can get a clear answer on this sooner rather than later. Is Blizzard actually even discussing this internally right now?

I can only repeat the replies from the Blues on the customer support forum and say that this information is not known yet and when it is, it will be announced via the usual channels (Blogs, support articles etc).

Previously it has been that they give you a new standard digital key if you enter a physical box one so that you can gift or sell that replacement key. They have not refunded before.
@Taranee: In addition to what my esteemed green colleague already said, I might note that I am in the same situation. Not interested in extra key, so waiting for my local shop to receive data on when I can order my CE box...
20/02/2018 10:43Posted by Shammoz
Previously it has been that they give you a new standard digital key if you enter a physical box one so that you can gift or sell that replacement key. They have not refunded before.

Last time, it was almost impossible to get rid of a 2nd key. Because you're not getting it, until after Launch. Meaning you need to find someone who's playing or wants to purchase it after launch. Which is pretty much impossible.

Many years ago, you would get a difference in game-time, but that is no longer the case and I imagine the only reason is, the numbers look better on sales, when everyone grabbing a collector's basically buy two copies.

I don't mind waiting until launch, however what annoys me is, the pre-purchase benefits are becoming bigger and bigger; meaning a lot of content is limited to these pre-purchases. Leveling a new Allied Race right now is perfect. Meanwhile on Launch people probably want to level the new content.

So I find it weird why they don't roll back and just give people game-time or Bnet currency as a refund instead of an extra, useless key - that's next to impossible to get rid of, as all my friends who play WoW already pre-purchased.
I just went ahead and bought the Standard copy of BfA for 1.2m gold. I'll buy the Physical CE when it's available.
20/02/2018 13:49Posted by Harlee
I just went ahead and bought the Standard copy of BfA for 1.2m gold. I'll buy the Physical CE when it's available.

Did the same thing. If I get the CE and they give a key back, I'll be able to give it to a friend. But not everyone has that option so refund (gametime or bnet balance) would also be a nice option.
I think it's just silly that there isn't any update on this yet.
With Legion the early access was 1-2 weeks? Now it's several months so kinda wierd that nobody looked into the CE & preorder bonus thing.
heres to the rest of us that dont have 1.2m gold to blow. but are wanting to buy the collectors edition.... or even the regular boxed edition. can I haz a cheezburger? to be honest, not really interested in the allied races, but it is a whole lot unfair on those of us who want actual memories one day in the far (or near) future of this lifechanging experience, and not some damnable digital download
20/02/2018 10:43Posted by Shammoz

I can only repeat the replies from the Blues on the customer support forum and say that this information is not known yet and when it is, it will be announced via the usual channels (Blogs, support articles etc).

Thank you Shammoz, yes I've seen that indeed. But we haven't had any official word on it this time around and I just thought I'd post about it again to remind them this is still an issue in a few players' hearts ;)

20/02/2018 13:49Posted by Harlee

I wish this was an option for me! If I had that kind of gold for it I would definitely have :)

Indeed the main issue with a key refund is that it's nearly impossible for me to get rid of.. and I'd also rather not be a somewhat shady third party seller and sell it off to a stranger..