Confused returning player

Battlegrounds
Hey! I just recently came back to try WoW again after some 3-4 years, i quite enjoyed just doing battlegrounds and general PvP, i really liked the idea that i had to grind BGs/arenas to get honor and to get gear.

Now, my honor gives some levels, which gives me PvP abilities, and i have to get fair amount of them to use all my former familiar abilities (earth shield, grounding totem for example) thats alright, part of the new grind, cool.

To my problem, how do i purchase PvP gear?? I have only found some vendor selling whole sets for those mark of honor tokens or so, but they are only for transmog?

On top of that, my shaman just goes absolutely beastmode when entering BG, i mean my Hp and all around healing just goes up a ton, why is that? Im only wearing pure trash greens and blues mostly, i should not be that powerful.

Dont get me wrong i actually enjoy doing these BGs again, but i miss the real grind for my gear, and getting smacked at start wearing only greens/blues and gradually working my way up so i can feel the progress.

Thanks.

Kiuu
Overall PvP progression in Legion is utter garbage. PvP gear have no advantages in PvP anymore and it's 10 times easier to acquire gear from PvE to just play PvP. Doing brain dead mythic+ gives you better gear than playing and winning against actual intelligent players.

You can also read that for wider understanding.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759598339
19/03/2018 10:10Posted by Kiuu
i miss the real grind for my gear, and getting smacked at start wearing only greens/blues and gradually working my way up so i can feel the progress.

That is what I liked about PvP the most as well.
The process of gearing and progressing your character was so satisfying and the new Prestige system doesn't even come close to that.

However it seems like Blizzard is planning on removing Stat Templates and bringing back real gear vendors for BfA so there is some hope.
Ive only been back a bit over a month and found it confusing also, right now the PvP gear you get is rewarded to you at the end of BGs(always if you win, sometimes if you lose) in an RNG manner, you mostly get 870-880 combatant bits, sometimes 900-915 Gladiator bits, of course you can end up really needing one bit and constantly get duplicate bits you already have.

Another way of getting gear is by "obliterating" bits you dont need at the green forge thing in Dalaran, for every combatant bit you obliterate you get one "echo of battle", you get 15 for obliterating Gladiator bits, it takes 75 echoes of battle to buy a 915 Gladiator bit, you dont get to choose stats on the bits you buy, it works a bit like those gear rewards in WoD where its a "chest", "hands" bit of "915" level which gets generated after you buy it and right click it.

You may(as I did) think "what about my stat priorities, I need haste/crit etc", it actually doesnt matter in instanced PvP as there are preset templates given to you the moment you enter(as you noticed), so it makes zero difference what stats you decide to stack , all that matters is your overall ilevel, nothing else.

At 110 the template seems to be 800 ilevel, if you are under that it wont matter, you will be 800, with every 10 real ilevel you get over 800 - 1% is added to your templates stats, so someone with 920 ilevel will have 12% more stats than you if you have 809 or less.

I think I have this correct, as I said Ive not been back that long...
Wow, thats messed up, who the hell came up with that?!

Thanks for the interesting link, althou i feel rather disapointed after reading it, that sounds like worst system of all time.

Is there any info on it changing at BfA?

Also i seem to randomly get some pieces of epic gear after i complete battlegrounds, why would i want to randomly get some pieces of gear, when i could simply (with old system) just grind for what i want and buy pieces i want?!
Be glad that you didn't get a healing potion from winning the bg...
Because it can happen too.

No info yet for major system changes in BfA, unless I missed something.
Thanks for replies, ehm.. what are prestige levels? :)
Im literally just sitting here wondering if this is real, when and how has it come to this? Why would i want to roll a dice to get my gear? Stats dont matter? So basicly i just want to throw every better iLvL gear onto my char, regardless if its any upgrade or if its even worse than my lower iLvL piece. For example if id have full decked enchantment gear from those mythic raids, and i want to play resto on BGs, i just keep em on and its alright?

Ive also just sold those duplicate pieces to vendors, thanks for the tip of traiding em to tokens.
19/03/2018 11:14Posted by Kiuu
Thanks for replies, ehm.. what are prestige levels? :)

Once you hit 50 there is a somewhat endless continual accumulation of honour. As you keep getting more honour you get a new pvp badge + extra rewards like mounts pets and a banner you can wear on your character.

Im literally just sitting here wondering if this is real, when and how has it come to this?

Legion, it seemed like a natural progression from the 95% cookie cutter builds that people geared using for the previous two expansions anyway. Issue being this wasn't the case in casual PvP where people didn't care about being optimal and just did what they felt. The choice is gone for those players, myself I haven't noticed a difference.

Why would i want to roll a dice to get my gear?

You don't, and I don't. The only saving grace is that the overall impact of gear on stats is drastically reduced in PvP. It's easier to "Step in" compared to how it was in MoP or WoD when I could routinely one shot a freshly geared toon.

So basicly i just want to throw every better iLvL gear onto my char, regardless if its any upgrade or if its even worse than my lower iLvL piece.

Yes, though to play devil's advocate here, Blizzard didn't exactly want nor predict secondary stats to have the impact they do in PvE and they are toning that back (We hope) in BFA. The fact you'd rather equip something 20 ilvls lower is honestly a larger fault, though I don't think anyone is immensely happy that "ilvl is all that matters" in PvP.

For example if id have full decked enchantment gear from those mythic raids, and i want to play resto on BGs, i just keep em on and its alright?

Yes, but again the impact of ilvl is massively reduced in PvP. Once you get around 930 or so it really doesn't matter so much, and getting to equip 2-3 ilvl 1000 pieces (Depending if you wanna run normal antorus, which isn't really out of the reach of anyone) will bump your ilvl up substantially.
The fact you'd rather equip something 20 ilvls lower is honestly a larger fault

This was more to the later part that if i example have resto gear at say ilvl 900, but i happen to have elemental piece for that slot of 920 ilvl, in my opinion it would make sence that if i make a decision of playing resto, i should get more out of that 20 ilvls lower resto piece than elemental piece. And simply accept that my itemlevel would be lower.
I actually cant remember item level being such a big deal or even existing really some years back. It definetly was in the game when i quit for good sometime around Cataclysm, but not in early wrath or BC iirc.

EDIT: it all comes down to what people prefer then i guess in matter of entry level spanking. I didnt mind it at all, it was natural.. im new, i should get !@#$ on. Some might think way different. I just cant wrap my head around that more people would prefer it to be this way.
19/03/2018 11:43Posted by Kiuu
This was more to the later part that if i example have resto gear at say ilvl 900, but i happen to have elemental piece for that slot of 920 ilvl, in my opinion it would make sence that if i make a decision of playing resto,

The only slot where this could matter in that hypothetical is trinkets, (Where it doesnt matter because ilvl > all). There is no such thing as "Elemental gear" or "Resto gear" it's just gear.