Most usefull class

Classic Discussion
I joined the game around the time the game was about half year old and well.. like many players I constantly made new characters and almost never stayed on 1 character for too long, but now that I am older and know quite a lot more about the game I was thinking about once the classic servers are up and going.

What class should I play. I know many of you will just say play whatever that makes me happy, but I would like to play a class that would be helpful for all. and currently I have in mind is to be playing a mage once classic is out.

Would you say I have a good choice or are you able to change my mind?
Shaman is really helpful with healing and especially Windfury Totem. Mage is helpful with portals, waters and great cc. Warlock is helpful with stones and summons. Tanks are generally very welcome and helpful guys. Same goes for healers. Paladins have crazy good buffs also.

The most helpful in my opinion right now: Shaman or Warrior
That depends what role you wanna play: Tank, dps or healer?

Like always, Tank is the most useful role and Tank has only one truly
viable class: Warrior. So that would make it easily THE most useful role and class at the same time. Good tanks get geared easy and fast too.

Second most useful role is Healer and the most useful healer is Priest (Horde) or Paladin (Alliance).

The least useful role is dps. I would say the most useful out of all dps is the Mage. Vanilla mage is simply op when it comes to usefulness. Drinks, portals, best CC, I always start building my parties in vanilla by inviting a mage first, can't go wrong there.
30/03/2018 10:15Posted by Kheron
The least useful role is dps. I would say the most useful out of all dps is the Mage. Vanilla mage is simply op when it comes to usefulness. Drinks, portals, best CC, I always start building my parties in vanilla by inviting a mage first, can't go wrong there.

Rogue with Imp.Sap and maxed out Pick Lock! What good is that mage if you can't open the doors in Dire Maul or the Shadowforge Lock? And remember all those lockboxes?

Simply put, all classes have their use - that's a part of the vanilla experience. Now every class and their mothers bring all kinds of utility to groups. Roll what you think is fun to play, don't go by the FotM-class suggestions. You don't even have to be extremely good at playing the class to get invited into groups, just be nice to other people.
Good warrior tank in general is needed.

Shamans tend to be rare and in huge demand.

Dwarf priest is amazing for fear warding.

Holy pala is very good too.

Locks tend to be rare aswell for some unknown reason and they are op dps late game and soulstoning + summoning is always needed.

IF you are a good hunter you will shine. Most hunter players are bad but if you learn to kite and pull as well as using your farming potential to push dps you can be a huge asset to any guild. They are op at pvp too.
30/03/2018 11:33Posted by Arapaho
Rogue with Imp.Sap and maxed out Pick Lock! What good is that mage if you can't open the doors in Dire Maul or the Shadowforge Lock? And remember all those lockboxes?

I agree that each class has its uses, but the question was about the most useful class.

Imp.Sap cannot be used in combat, it leaves still 10% chance to put you out of stealth when used and is much more dangerous to apply since you must get close and behind the mobs. Mage can just cast poly whenever, even after a dumb warrior breaks CC with his Thunderclap-ability.

Maxed out lockpick rogues are few and far between since its a grind to level like fishing, but even then you don't really need that for dungeons.

You can get keys to both DM and BRD in a single easy instance run. If you don't have the key you may as well get it. You didn't mention the Strath service entrance, that key is actually more difficult to obtain since it's limited to only 1 drop per run, but even still its very likely someone in the party will have it.

As such, rogue is useful, but nowhere near as useful as a mage.
In raids, prot warrior.
In mass PvP, frost mage.
Or you can roll warlock. Prepare to be everywhere first with enough soul shards in your bag. People will love you.
30/03/2018 15:27Posted by Holyvita
Locks tend to be rare aswell for some unknown reason and they are op dps late game and soulstoning + summoning is always needed.

The unknown reason is the requirement to grind mobs for 1 hour before everyone logs on for the raid, for the sole reason of soul shards. Locks have great mechanics, but the need of constant mindless grind is annoying.
Do you want to PvP? If so, I'd go priest. Strong healers in PvE content but super viable should you choose to engage in PvP. Shadow is supposedly OP, but disc and even holy can shine as well.
Paladin for everything.

Easy leveling
Cheaper mount
dungeon healing/tanking/dps
raid healing/dps
pvp healing/dps
Good solo/groups
awsome gear
Good gatherer
Wpvp
I think we should wait and see if we get a release date any time soon before we get too hyped up.
01/04/2018 14:35Posted by Nostalxrius
Paladin for everything.

Easy leveling
Cheaper mount
raid healing/dps
pvp healing/dps
Good solo/groups
awsome gear
Good gatherer
Wpvp

in other words, a pure buff bot. You will never be a main healer because priests are better. You will never be a main tank because warriors are better. You will never be a dps because retri is a joke. You will be a buff bot with cool looking gear.
People keep saying tank is the most wanted thing. But that is not entierly correct.

If your endgame will be to pug dungeons for all eternity, then yes, prot warrior is the way to go. But if you intend to raid, that is far from correct.

Raids only use 2-3 fulltime tanks, then they stock up with dps warriors to offtank when needed, most guilds very rarely recruit tanks, due to if a tank quits playing, that fulltime tank spot usually will be filled by a dps warrior who are already geared up with tank gear instead of recruiting some unknown guy who most probably guild jumped and most probably will jump again.

Not to mention that warrior is the most played class alongside rogues and mages, making even getting a raidspot quite hard.

Healers on the other hand, is the most sought after role of them all, especially priests and shamans. Most guilds use 8-12 healers (depending on what content you are doing) and if you want to pug dungeons, there are always people in need of you.

Rolling a healer is probably the easiest way into endgame content, since there are a lot of raidspots, but the role is equally popular as tanking. Which only have a few spots which usualy are taken by the guildmaster or friends of him.
01/04/2018 15:32Posted by Zauru
Paladin for everything.

Easy leveling
Cheaper mount
raid healing/dps
pvp healing/dps
Good solo/groups
awsome gear
Good gatherer
Wpvp

in other words, a pure buff bot. You will never be a main healer because priests are better. You will never be a main tank because warriors are better. You will never be a dps because retri is a joke. You will be a buff bot with cool looking gear.

1.9 may have been so, but I think for a pure healer class which is only a buff bot, it doesn't look so bad

Retri ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEs9coe5XRg

Patchwerk is certainly one of the hardest dps checks the game has to offer in classic, so if a retri is able to keep up the top 10 places, then think this is really not bad for a pure buff bot.

Prot ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OwHLAuQzc

Protection paladins are the best AoE tanks in classic!

For both specializations, just like any other class, you also know your items and know your consumables. But who just has no idea we're always parroting this nonsense of because buff bot.
30/03/2018 08:53Posted by Gbthor
I know many of you will just say play whatever that makes me happy, but I would like to play a class that would be helpful for all.

healer or tank then
01/04/2018 14:07Posted by Trelonicus
The unknown reason is the requirement to grind mobs for 1 hour before everyone logs on for the raid, for the sole reason of soul shards. Locks have great mechanics, but the need of constant mindless grind is annoying.

If it takes you 1 hour to fill your bags with shards, you should turn off Netflix while playing.
Paladin for everything.

Easy leveling

Nothing like having that 3 sec swing timer miss once and then get parried. Just taking the D for 10 seconds, praying for SoC to proc should you manage to hit him once.
Mage is a very useful class in Vanilla, but there will be an abundance of Mages on both factions so you’re not going to be very unique or wanted by any means.

If you really want to be useful and desired then play things like Prot War, or Resto Shaman, or Dwarf Priest. People will beg you to join their raids and guilds.
I played this druid since vanilla and back then raiding guilds would headhunt me to join their raids since they never had enough druid healers. So if you want an easy time getting into raids try resto druid.

Otherwise mages are always popular since they have portals, conjure water and the best crowd control abilities.