What class will be most needed?

Classic Discussion
So I remember playing on my 58 priest and my guild convinced me to do the BRD quest to get attuned for MC because they needed healers. So what classes do you feel are going to be most needed this time around?

I imagine people are going to treat the game differently. So do you think people won't experience the "Looking for tank!" since people know tanks will be needed?
warrior in general is always needed... if not for tanking, or even offtanking, then atleast for dps, because it's one of the best dps also.

then there is ofcourse healers, priests and paladins escpecially, because they are simply the best, paladin for his buffs and mana efficient singletarget healing, priest for their variety of healing ( over time, area, singletarget ).

least needed imo will be : Hunter ( because lowest pure dps class, very little raid beneficial utility. ) and mayby rogue, because rogue will probably be the most played class in classic, if not, then rogue also may be needed, but i doubt it.
healers/tanks will be the most desired as class roles from a PvE perspective, especially tanks considering the massive difference in how much more difficult it was back then compared to now.

For tanks, the most desired tank will be the warrior because, frankly, they were the best tanks back then (yes you COULD tank with druids/paladins but, frankly, they were NOT as good overall when you had equal gear and skill). The main reason warriors are better than the other tanks is because of their ability to stance-dance to completely mitigate certain mechanics.

For healers the field is a bit more open, but overall, priests were the best healers. The other healers were more... support classes... than 'pure' healers like the priest was. especially the paladin...... the paladin was a pure support class that happened to also be able to heal... but their healing was at least equal in importance to keeping up blesssings, etc.
Depends on what for, in the case of dungeons then tanks and healers, raiding then most likely healers (less MT spots available). Paladins and Shaman healers are usually in demand (who wants to wear a dress on their super holy warrior?). Druids are usually in short supply and likewise locks. Always rogues, hunters and mages looking for guilds if I remember correctly.

Not sure I really helped, just some observations from last time we had Vanilla.
Tank- warrior only. The rest are complete garbage and struggle too much to be decent at tanking.

Healer- priest or take a hike.

Buffs/support - doesn't matter you'll have plenty of those.

Dps - warrior or rogue. The rest are just filler/ you bring them for utility-ish not for damage.
18/04/2018 21:37Posted by Dudas
The rest are just filler/ you bring them for utility-ish not for damage.

mage, warlock LOL
2 Most wanted/needed:
dwarf priests, warrior tanks.
Tank- warrior only. The rest are complete garbage and struggle too much to be decent at tanking.

Dps - warrior or rogue. The rest are just filler/ you bring them for utility-ish not for damage.

You clearly do not know what you are talking about.

Warrior tanks are godlike, although I would not recommend picking them because probably 50% of the server will pick Warrior.

For raiding:
Tank: Warrior... Druid is not that strong but you could always try of course.
Healer: They are all viable but for different parts of the game. Priest is really good, but Shaman and Druid are needed, too. If you are going to be Alliance, Paladin is on par with Priests.
DPS: Melee, Warrior/Rogue. Caster: Warlock, Mage

If you are not going to be hardcore raiding, then a lot of classes and specs are really viable.
Paladin tanks are really good at dungeon tanking. Shadow Priests are really good at PvP. Enhance Shaman could potentially one-shot someone...
For guilds, for raid pugs or for 5 mans?

For guilds, caster dps will be needed most, maybe fury/offtank warriors. I'd say guilds need tanks least since tanks are a huge investment and usually part of guild core since beginning.

For raid pugs, tanks and healers will be needed most.

For 5 mans, tanks and tanks. Because they are more rare and thus get geared extremely fast.
From a raiding pov...

Good warrior tank if guild officers etc dont pick them.

Dwarf priest, shaman healer, pala healer.

Warlock is good and rare and I dont get why.

If you can get 100% attendance a good sp is nice too.
18/04/2018 14:20Posted by Cai
least needed imo will be : Hunter ( because lowest pure dps class, very little raid beneficial utility. )

Only pre 1.7
(or was it 1.3? So long ago I can't remember)
19/04/2018 13:13Posted by Cyndane
18/04/2018 14:20Posted by Cai
least needed imo will be : Hunter ( because lowest pure dps class, very little raid beneficial utility. )

Only pre 1.7

um... could you be more spesific ? what class did Hunter actually beat in "pure" dps competition ?

as far as i know, Hunter only beat warlock ONLY if there was no shadow beneficial debuff's used, and as far as i know, hunter's debuff's wasn't used a lot, because they only benefited other hunters ( hunter's mark ), not whole raid.

i could be wrong though, just saying what i have read over internet, i'm not really into min / maxing to be honest.
19/04/2018 14:56Posted by Cai

Only pre 1.7

um... could you be more spesific ? what class did Hunter actually beat in "pure" dps competition ?

as far as i know, Hunter only beat warlock ONLY if there was no shadow beneficial debuff's used, and as far as i know, hunter's debuff's wasn't used a lot, because they only benefited other hunters ( hunter's mark ), not whole raid.

i could be wrong though, just saying what i have read over internet, i'm not really into min / maxing to be honest.

Is rather about gear, Warlock won't have a chance of top the metters early on until the Zul'Gurub paterns and gear becomes available (mostly due to lack of spell-hit). For Hunters is the contrary, is easy to get by hit cap even before Dire Maul and also get gear faster than other classes due to lack of competition in the same raid. Tier 1/2 are ok minus some other pieces here and there unlike fury warriors for example. Who got popular as DPS in Pserver but never were a popular thing in real retail because was rare you'll see warriors rolling for leather, as common that is nowdays.

Anyway back on topic, hunters can be there in the top 10 of a 40 mans. Problem is:

A: In equal conditions they are the weakest but, even after 14 years great players are more rare that you would think. Thus absolute equal conditions are only seen in top tier raids. Which is why you can see under the other average conditions hunter players toping metters.
B: They really need to know what they are doing, personally I use three different temporal trinkets in a boss fight and a handfull of consumables in carefull order. Not even talking about the long term consumables. Funny enough, despite the known term "huntard" they are by no means a simple class to pilot both in PVP or PVE.
C: Pet DPS DO NOT count in vanilla dps metters.
D: Gear wise is tricky, often most hunters prefer to stick to T2 even in Naxx due to the exposed weakness set bonus. Having said that, the ideal set up is two hunters with T2 in a normal MM spec and 1 lucky hunter stacking as much agility as possible in a survival spec. That one, will be likely be on the top 10.
naxirrum :

i think you have mis understood me, i didn't mean to imply in anyway, that hunter's are not needed at all, or that they are bad in general.

my point simply was : because they are on paper lowest dps class, there will be less spots for your class in raids compared to other pure dps classes -> less needed class.

also because low ammount of utility -> less need to pick extra hunters for any other reason than filler spots.

that's why i also included rogues, because they have huge ammount of spots in raids, but because it's so overpopulated class, it might not be as needed as other classes, and because Hunter is just king of solo play, i think hunters can be overpopulated too(compared to avarage raid spots in raids).
If it's anything like it was when vanilla was live then Priests and Druids will get into raids the easiest. Shamans and Paladins too, but they are usually more popular.

Back when I played this druid in vanilla, guilds would randomly whisper me and ask if I could come heal in their ZG and MC raids. Mostly due to resto druid innervate being one of the most powerful spells in vanilla, and combat res of course.

Warrior tanks are always needed too, but more in 5 man dungeons rather than raids. Raid guilds usually have a couple of reliable tanks and not much turnover.

With raids being 40 players any class should be able to find a spot as long as you can make a few friends and not totally suck.
19/04/2018 14:56Posted by Cai

Only pre 1.7

So you didn't even play back then?
I did, that's why I mentioned that patch. The 'Hunter-patch', where the Class finally got finished. After that we topped the damage meters. Though, only if you could time your shots right which for many players was hard apparently.
After that other classes got attention and were top dps, things got nerfed again, you know how it goes. But we stayed competitive after that first patch of pure love :)
The truth is, in Vanilla, most classes were useful in their own way

People who want the true Vanilla game back need to be careful about constantly moaning about class balance, because Blizz listen to complaints, tries to appease everyone and then breaks the game. It goes on patch after patch, if you’re a dps warrior and complain that you can’t control your agro and rogues can dump agro making them outdps you, just roll a rogue? If you’re a warlock and complain a mage does more dps, just roll a mage?

The Vanilla game isn’t about individuals, it was more of a team effort than a solo effort, not being top of the dps meter shouldn’t make the game less enjoyable, if it does you have a problem :P Even quests often required a team unlike the wow we have today!

Sorry for the rant.... just accept your class please :P

You'll want that WF totem if you play Horde though. For each melee group...

I think a paladin tank can be a useful part of a tank setup the same goes for a Druid tank. Both are certainly not the ideal main tanks but Warrior + Warrior + Paladin/Druid is definitely not as nonsensical as you want to make here believe.

At Allianz, Paladin healers are at least equal to the priests. Similarly, shamans and druids are absolutely viable healers.

No matter? Do you think resistance auras and totems don't matter? So I think completely different.

LOL!

So I'm really looking forward to your raid with 15-20 Melees because, for example, would like to come by Shazzrah in MC.
Druids will have the easiest time getting a raid spot and gear, I think. This is because they are faction-wise the rarest healer and their buffs, Innervate and heals are highly desirable.

Back in the day, I think it would have been Dwarf Priests, but I have a feeling Dwarf will be a much more common race for Priests this time. They’ll still get raid spots easily, though. Any healer will.