Open letter to purists

Classic Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Saying there should be no changes always seemed so nuts to me. There are so many changes the vanilla devs would have done with more time and resources and not fixing those things for some purist reasons is insane.
I don't want vanilla and its ugly models or retarded AH or chat system for nostalgia's sake. I want the vanilla flavour, where you have to do epic things to receive epic things, where hard work is rewarded.
I would personally even want some quality of life changes that fit into the vanilla spirit, that you'd add not to make life easier, but because it makes sense. An example of this is graveyard placement, a graveyard shouldn't be conveniently placed just because it's a pain in the !@# to corpserun, it should be placed where you would place a graveyard in that world.
And furthermore I'd be open to even expanding in some ways, there is fundamentally nothing wrong with expansions, they just did them all wrong. They had to make the old content obsolete so people would be willing to buy the new expansion but you could rather easily make Outlands relevant without discarding all the old content. You could for example make each zone a challenging rep farming zone to open new raids, with world PvP or something.
I also like the fishing book and flying mounts could probably be salvaged by changing them drastically.
But maybe you just want to relive your glory days, faults and all, and that's fine. I personally want a good game that feels like vanilla, and improving on the great concept that WoW was back in the days seems like the easiest way to do that.
And here we go again... another one that doesn't get it.

Boring.....
07/04/2018 17:50Posted by Integrator
Saying there should be no changes always seemed so nuts to me. There are so many changes the vanilla devs would have done with more time and resources and not fixing those things for some purist reasons is insane.
I don't want vanilla and its ugly models or retarded AH or chat system for nostalgia's sake

I admit I didn't even read after that, just reported for trolling.
. I personally want a good game that feels like vanilla, and improving on the great concept that WoW was back in the days seems like the easiest way to do that.

If you want a game that feels like vanilla, why not just let it be vanilla?
This post reeks of trolling
For those who don't want to read this wall of text, here is TL;DR

I don't want vanilla
07/04/2018 18:14Posted by Zauru
. I personally want a good game that feels like vanilla, and improving on the great concept that WoW was back in the days seems like the easiest way to do that.

If you want a game that feels like vanilla, why not just let it be vanilla?
This post reeks of trolling

Because vanilla was far from perfect, there were so many things that still needed to be fixed. What was good about vanilla was it's spirit, not every minute detail.
07/04/2018 17:58Posted by Агграэль
I don't want vanilla and its ugly models or retarded AH or chat system for nostalgia's sake

I admit I didn't even read after that, just reported for trolling.

Actually everything he sayed is true. The only is trolling here are you by adding nothing useful to the disc.

07/04/2018 18:18Posted by Агграэль
For those who don't want to read this wall of text, here is TL;DR

I don't want vanilla

He didnt wrote that, do not lie. I want Vanilla, I liked it, but I dont want useless taxy system, mailing all items 1 by 1, !@#$ty bugs and so on. If you think that those thing made Vanilla what it was, you need to think about it a lot mere.
No "quality of life" changes, running to your corpse made you fear death and thats a good thing. Flying mounts shrunk the world to nothing and killed PvP, they were the first step on a downward spiral and even Blizz has admitted regretting them.
Just go play Legion, that's what you want and that's available..

People here are waiting for a game they can no longer play (officially), we're waiting for more than 10 years!

And since you mentioned flying mounts you lost all credibility, you just can't be serious..
You have to understand that people are afraid of a slippery slope, small changes leading to bigger changes. The best way to prevent this is by not changing anything. It’s really all or nothing.

For example I wouldn’t mind guild banks. But what if adding guild banks leads to adding Tmog? I’ve seen a few lunatics on here asking for Tmog. So where does it end?
07/04/2018 19:05Posted by Pitler
You have to understand that people are afraid of a slippery slope, small changes leading to bigger changes. The best way to prevent this is by not changing anything. It’s really all or nothing.

For example I wouldn’t mind guild banks. But what if adding guild banks leads to adding Tmog? I’ve seen a few lunatics on here asking for Tmog. So where does it end?

I honestly don't think that's an effective argument for no changes. The slippery slope of QoL took years and several expansions to fully develop. Hindsight being 20/20, I think the devs know what not to include, regardless of people asking for it.
I think the big polls show conclusively what stuff the majority of players do and don't want.

The problem I have is that no changes will end up delivering an experience that is nothing like the original game. I'd be fine with a game that has no changes with the exception of mob/dungeon/raid difficulty re-balancing to account for the difference between character power in patch 1.12 and patch 1.1. If they don't do that, I can guarantee that a lot of players are going to be very disappointed. The exception being the private server crowd, who want more of what they already have.
Not sure why they don't just keep playing those servers, but whatever.

This is the best counterpoint in the thread, only one to be perfectly honest, but what really killed vanilla was greed. Everything that ruined WoW was some gimmick to justify buying a new expansion. I might be naive but I believe a good team of devs combined with the fact that there is a super user friendly version of the game already available in retail would mean that most changes would be beneficial since classic would just be to draw in the old-schoolers. And if they !@#$ up they could have some community veto thing or something.
And even if all these things are impossible we should at least agree that there are many things about vanilla that are terrible.
07/04/2018 19:27Posted by Flayed

I honestly don't think that's an effective argument for no changes. The slippery slope of QoL took years and several expansions to fully develop. Hindsight being 20/20, I think the devs know what not to include, regardless of people asking for it.
I think the big polls show conclusively what stuff the majority of players do and don't want.

The problem I have is that no changes will end up delivering an experience that is nothing like the original game. I'd be fine with a game that has no changes with the exception of mob/dungeon/raid difficulty re-balancing to account for the difference between character power in patch 1.12 and patch 1.1. If they don't do that, I can guarantee that a lot of players are going to be very disappointed. The exception being the private server crowd, who want more of what they already have.
Not sure why they don't just keep playing those servers, but whatever.

Yeah, I've often made the point of wanting a "vanilla experience" rather than just a pedantically "vanilla mechanics" game.

Tmog can be easily dismissed though because it makes no sense in the in-game logic. Even the generic "magic" wouldn't explain characters changing their appearance. Maybe there should be some explicit rules for any new changes. Like anything from Wc1-3 should be pretty much automatically good as long as it isn't contradictory to something else in-game or lore.
Again, someone who sees a game EXCLUSIVELY SUBJECTIVE. But hey, this is the retail player type, purely ignorant.

The people who want Vanilla...want VANILLA.

You do not ask for a cheeseburger with mayo, and have it with ketchup or mustard, and be happy with.

You WANT MAYO !

GET IT NOW???
07/04/2018 18:45Posted by Integrator

Because vanilla was far from perfect

I wonder where did you hear ANYONE asking blizzard "pls give us perfect game servers!"
I am sure they all were "give us vanilla servers!".

Am i wrong? :p
07/04/2018 19:27Posted by Flayed
mob/dungeon/raid difficulty re-balancing to account for the difference between character power in patch 1.12 and patch 1.1. If they don't do that, I can guarantee that a lot of players are going to be very disappointed

Where can i get my guarantee payments when they release game with no changes and i am very happy with it?
Transmog might be worse than flying mounts, if you want to look badass you had to earn it. When someone in awesome gear walked past it really ment something, you could recognize people on sight a lot of the time especially people from top guilds.

If you want to look like the epic rouge hero that helped to slay Nefarian you have to go and fukin slay Nefarian.
07/04/2018 19:46Posted by Gantor598C5B
Transmog might be worse than flying mounts, if you want to look badass you had to earn it. When someone in awesome gear walked past it really ment something, you could recognize people on sight a lot of the time especially people from top guilds.

If you want to look like the epic rouge hero that helped to slay Nefarian you have to go and fukin slay Nefarian.

I honestly don't hate the idea of transmog in vanilla.
I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for that, but I think that it really doesn't do much harm, honestly.
Like it or not, fashion is very important to a lot of people. Running around looking like a special needs clown in mismatched gear because those have the best stats is kinda bleh.
Why not allow people to wear what they want? I fail to see the problem.
Saying "Ohh but then they will put in LFR and flying mounts,etc" simply doesn't make sense as an argument. A =/= B.

I mean, you'd still have to get that Bloodfang set to be able to use in in transmog, so I don't get your argument.