Open letter to purists

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
Did that guy suggest heroic mode on vanilla and claimed not to be a troll?
12/04/2018 17:35Posted by Агграэль

Its a way to address progression and itemization issues without making any mechanical changes to the game whatsoever, dont see how that makes me a troll other than its something you dont agree with. Been getting a lot of that childish vibe from hysterical people.
12/04/2018 17:40Posted by Gantor598C5B
Its a way to address progression and itemization issues without making any mechanical changes to the game whatsoever

Explain this to me, since I can't comprehend.

dont see how that makes me a troll other than its something you dont agree with.

Maybe, I mean just maybe.... Because it's never going to be in classic wow NEVER.
12/04/2018 17:35Posted by Агграэль

Its a way to address progression and itemization issues

I don't see those "issues". It seems to be your personal problem.
Needed changes: guild bank, auto-dismount when attack.

First there was Diablo II, and players found a way to stash their items on a bank character, even if there was no mail system.

Then came WoW, it had a mail system, people created bank chars, and even guilds created "guild bank" characters. Then, we got guild banks, but these would be at their most useful in vanilla, that is why I vote for guild banks.

About class rebalance, I don't care very much, as long as the game remains at least as "hard" as it was: for warrior for example 3 mobs of the same level meant running away.
13/04/2018 10:38Posted by Laforge
Needed changes: guild bank, auto-dismount when attack.
Really on-topic here.
07/04/2018 18:45Posted by Integrator
Because vanilla was far from perfect, there were so many things that still needed to be fixed.

Have you tried retail? I suggest you give that a go.
07/04/2018 17:50Posted by Integrator
I personally want a good game that feels like vanilla, and improving on the great concept that WoW was back in the days seems like the easiest way to do that.

So how about this shocking train of thought: you don't want either Vanilla or Legion/BfA. How about you go to the general forum and ask for your ideas to be implemented either in the live game or as a server mode? Do that for 12 years, and you might be successful, who knows? That really is mindboggling is why you would come to polute the Vanilla realms forum with this.
07/04/2018 18:45Posted by Integrator

Because vanilla was far from perfect, there were so many things that still needed to be fixed. What was good about vanilla was it's spirit, not every minute detail.

But spirit of vanilla can be restored only if there is no changes, mate. If you don't get this... well
The funny thing is the ones asking for changes are the ones that will log in once or twice and never play again, but they have no problem !@#$ing up the game we've been waiting for 10 years.
Guys......original version....or what is the point?

You want the original experience but then want to add in so many modifications that you have a basterdized version of current wow....

Why? What is it you are trying to recreate? If its for the amazing original nostalgic experience that you had then it must remain the original version...warts and all.
I didn't wanted to post on this topic, but it's hard to have no opinion on such an discussed topic. I am writing this comment using a BlackBerry Classic phone (no joke). There will always be pros and cons about making no changes and personally I am on the no changes side because it's close to impossible to make even small changes without breaking the vanilla feel, and this will ultimately angry a lot of people. What I would want to see is Classic released with no changes and then Blizzard letting the comunity decide where the game should go.
One thing I dislike about the entire Classic topic is Blizzard beeing completely silent on this topic. What is the logic reason why we have no updates on the progress and on what problems they are facing, what decisions they are compairing, etc. We are the client in this case, it's us who they need to please. I think Blizzard is very very bad at communicating with the ones who pays for their products, us. When will this company wake up and realize that an sattisfied customer is a customer who knows he is taken into consideration and his opinion counts...
07/04/2018 17:54Posted by Shogath
And here we go again... another one that doesn't get it.

Boring.....

Was about to ask you, the purist, the same thing.
01/05/2018 19:08Posted by Exemplis

Boring.....

Rofl
01/05/2018 19:08Posted by Exemplis

Boring.....

Ask me what?

I didn't ask a question..where did you see me asking a question?
There should be no change in my opinion. Not because there's not some 'stupid' things that could do with a change, like debuff slots, but first and foremost because it's a slippery slope, and it's not what the Vanilla community asked for.

If this project is gonna have a chance to succeed, blizzard needs to be daring enough to give us the real deal. A lot of the changes that are being asked for, is stuff that was made available in TBC.

So in my opinion, if these changes is what you really want, then ask for TBC servers later on. Maybe they will let you copy your classic characters over to progress further if that's what you really want, while still keeping classic untouched forever.

But the truth of the matter remains, the people who want changes, maybe without even realizing it, are really asking for TBC servers.
20/04/2018 09:11Posted by Strvoje
The funny thing is the ones asking for changes are the ones that will log in once or twice and never play again, but they have no problem !@#$ing up the game we've been waiting for 10 years.

Just curious, do you have any proof for that claim? How do you decide that those people will log once and never play again? Based on what?
So I want to come back and clarify my earlier post.

01/05/2018 14:15Posted by Råsputin
I am on the no changes side because it's close to impossible to make even small changes without breaking the vanilla feel

Until tonight I've only talked about Vanilla WoW from memories. Tonight I tried a private server, just to see how the game looked back then. The intro movie and the undead starting movie and initial quest gave me goosebumps and turned back time for a little bit. That good this game is/was. I stopped tho because I don't like to encourage piracy and also because I want to experience the real thing when Blizzard will release Classic.

Few comments tho. The graphics are horrible. I play on a modern PC, with latest CPU and GPU. My monitor is 144 Hz and let me tell you: the gameplay felt horrible. Here is my conclusion: changes 100% need to be made because I don't think Blizzard will intend us to play WoW Classic on 15 years old computers. So probably this is the devs main concern at this moment. Making it work on modern computers without the feel of Mario and Luigi. I am not talking about new models and QoL trinkets, I am talking about making the game playable on modern computers. For example 144 Hz and all other graphic improvements that were done in time. Luckily they already have the source code available from retail but it's not just copy paste and compile. Also probably since they will have 2 games they want a change on one game to reflect on the other.

I still remain in the other side with all other topics. Please don't change anything about this game. Please. This game is a masterpiece. And when you try to modify a masterpiece probably the end result will be a big @#!$.

Good luck to the devs ! Hope they are swift and professional at their job. May the sun shine upon the"m" !
Mail? Fixed with addons.

Dismount? Fixed with addons.

Auction house? Fixed with addons.

Chat? Fixed with addons.

Guild bank? Bank chars = guild bank, so thats a minor annoyance at best. Character limit wont be a thing anyone encounters, so I dont see a problem.

Rest of changes mentioned are about game balance and that should not be messed with, if there is any wish of actually recreating original game at all.

On a more general level, I think lots of minor number, bug, and such adjustments could (should) be made that in no way or shape change the game, but might make it better instead, when you think about the fact that literally everything is known and will be abused in game 100 times worse than before.

About graphics? I don't think people care that much about old vs new models or some textures. I dont think anyone would refuse to play simply because there exists option to use new character models, or tune graphics settings to better quality or vice versa - if those things wont exist.