What makes the Shal'dorei think they're better?

General
For some time i was wondering this. Every time i get attacked by a Nightborne, they say stuff like 'Lowborn scum' or 'Scum like you should obey your betters'. Why do they think they're better/higher? Afterall, we didn't bend over to the Legion like they did.
Its not just the Shal'dorei... Elves in general think that their are the pinacle of the creation.
"We didnt bend over to the Legion like they did." LMAO that actually made me laugh. Thank you good sir!

Also, I guess it's because they stem from an empire, where Azshara and her Highborne literally almost ruled the entire world of Azeroth. I think they take great pride in that. However, they seem to forget that their empire is now far gone, and theres a slim chance that they will ever get to rebuild it ever again. So, I see no reason to go around being snobbish, but, whatever. That's just my thoughts.
08/04/2018 11:19Posted by Valarìel
"We didnt bend over to the Legion like they did." LMAO that actually made me laugh. Thank you good sir!
Whats so funny about that? Didn't they collaborate with the Legion? (Elisande says hi).

08/04/2018 11:19Posted by Valarìel
Also, I guess it's because they stem from an empire, where Azshara and her Highborne literally almost ruled the entire world of Azeroth. I think they take great pride in that. However, they seem to forget that their empire is now far gone, and theres a slim chance that they will ever get to rebuild it ever again. So, I see no reason to go around being snobbish, but, whatever. That's just my thoughts.

I know they were once powerful but that shouldn't give them the right to call us 'lowborn'. Especially when they required our help to get free of the Legion.
It's funny cause it's true.

And indeed, Suramar would probably go down the drain if it wasnt for us adventurers. Not all Shal'dorei are as snobbish thought, thank god.
I believe it's because night elves once created an empire of truly monstroous size and won against Twin empires made by trolls. Trolls were not able to successfuly counter their arcane magic that was even more destructive because elves channeled raw power stright from Well of eternity.

That was quite an achivement back in the day, so they grown to believe nothing could possibly top it. But ever since Legion came and Great Sundering happened I believe they lost said raw power.

Sunwell and Nightwell are also quite powerful but I don't think it's anywhere near Well of eternity.

Now the Nightborn - they were part of the highest cast of nelven society before Sundering so I guess they were stuck with said mindset for next 10k years. But the fact is that they lived out of touch with reality for 10k years.

My opinion is that they're not so great if their life was depending on mana. And they certainly overdid arcane use to the point that even if they were cured from addiction I cannot imagine them living without all the goods that Arcane provided to them.

But short summary and to me quite true is :

Its not just the Shal'dorei... Elves in generell think that their are the pinacle of the creation.

And well Zandalari also are at fault of looking down on "lesser races" but at least they're justified with having truly ancient heritage and predating basically everyone and mantainting their empire status.
08/04/2018 11:37Posted by Zakkaru
I believe it's because night elves once created an empire of truly monstroous size and won against Twin empires made by trolls. Trolls were not able to successfuly counter their arcane magic that was even more destructive because elves channeled raw power stright from Well of eternity.

I get that they were once powerful. But that was a long time ago.
Thanks for the replies though.
Not long time ago for them tho~ They were locked for 10000 in beautiful city... not knowing whats happening in outside world. I dont know if they know... that elves are not so important right now as they were in the past.

Also being called Lowborne as Blood Elf...
WHAT?!?!? I AM NOT!!!
08/04/2018 11:49Posted by Isology
08/04/2018 11:37Posted by Zakkaru

I think they're still stuck in that mindset.
See it like this - In the Harry Potter world, some people who are pureblood think they're way higher in status, simply because they're pure blood, when it really does not matter.
They were once powerful, yes, but they are not anymore. It does not matter anymore. And someone is still stuck in that mindset.
08/04/2018 11:56Posted by Valarìel
See it like this - In the Harry Potter world, some people who are pureblood think they're way higher in status, simply because they're pure blood, when it really does not matter.

Dunno about Harry Potter but we had the same mindset somewhat 80 years ago? :p

Either way, that's actually an entertaining topic, it's one of those shower thoughts you get but never really check why.
A lot of crumbling or ruined nations seem to draw on some illustrious past for comfort, then they get stuck in it and forget they're not in their golden age any more and have in fact changed dramatically. The Byzantines went around calling their city of Constantinople and a few adjacent provinces the Roman Empire right until the very end.
08/04/2018 11:58Posted by Lunétte

Dunno about Harry Potter but we had the same mindset somewhat 80 years ago? :p

Either way, that's actually an entertaining topic, it's one of those shower thoughts you get but never really check why.

Yeah, sadly some people have that mindset still, though.
08/04/2018 11:49Posted by Isology

I think they're still stuck in that mindset.
They were once powerful, yes, but they are not anymore. It does not matter anymore. And someone is still stuck in that mindset.

That's quite a good analogy.
The females have the best feet in the entire game and that is something to be proud of, but the males should just die off.
08/04/2018 11:54Posted by Jesi

WHAT?!?!? I AM NOT!!!

Trust me, dear. You are.
08/04/2018 13:51Posted by Levigos
08/04/2018 11:54Posted by Jesi

WHAT?!?!? I AM NOT!!!

Trust me, dear. You are.

Prime example.
08/04/2018 13:54Posted by Valarìel
08/04/2018 13:51Posted by Levigos

Trust me, dear. You are.

Prime example.

I would prefer Blood elves instead of Nightborne though.