What "solution" made classic wow possible?

Classic Discussion
When Blizzard announced classic servers they stated the reason for them changing their minds on this (since they had stated in the past it was too technically difficult) was they had found a solution/way around the problem.

Does anyone know what the "solution" was? (other than having a bunch of programmers rewrite the code to work with modern hardware).
The details are unknown to outsiders, Gl getting a def to explain the technical details.
A company is pretty much never honest in their public statements, and why would they? Most of the time being honest will only hurt yourself. Imagine if Blizzard said "we know some people want to play our old vanilla game but we don't care, all we want is that you play our latest expansion because there we make the most profit" but instead they lied to try make it look better by saying they just can't do it anymore.

Now the truth has come out that they actualy can do it, and let's be honest those that weren't even the developer have made it work on private servers so the best thing Blizzard could have done was just keeping their mouth shut. But it all doesn't matter anymore now anyway.
They found a way to run it viably on a modern 8.x client, thus removing the need for maintaining 2 different clients at the same time(in other words they made it financially viable.)
Prolly the Valve guy now supposedly working in the Classic team slapped together a prototype to load the vanilla content into the Legion engine.
Now they are telling everyone it's a "tremendous effort" to develop Classic so they don't have to release it before BfA.
05/04/2018 14:36Posted by Waith
When Blizzard announced classic servers they stated the reason for them changing their minds on this (since they had stated in the past it was too technically difficult) was they had found a solution/way around the problem.

Does anyone know what the "solution" was? (other than having a bunch of programmers rewrite the code to work with modern hardware).

The commotion caused by the closure of Nostalrius woke them up apparently.

And they now acknowledge there is a large passionate group that really wants this (as shown by pirate servers).

Also, as i understood it, they are now technically at a point where they can tackle certain difficulties in translating the old stuff to the new.

Personally i think that they now also see a way to retain some subscribers that would otherwise defect to pirate servers. How that will work out will depend on how they will offer Classic (part of your active sub or ...?).

I've also read somewhere that the estimated amount of interested people (and potential subscribers) is about as large as what they aimed for when they first launched World of Warcraft.

So it seems that now the time is right... :)
I would say,they could do classic servers anytime they would need to. Why now? To get some subs back, all mates with who I played,hate legion and they left wow for good.
05/04/2018 17:19Posted by Evilanimals
I would say,they could do classic servers anytime they would need to. Why now? To get some subs back, all mates with who I played,hate legion and they left wow for good.

Agree, and lets be honest, thousands have been playing on private servers, thousands who will return as paying customers + all those that never cared about the private servers (for whatever reason) and also want to play their old game again they once loved so much.

And once it's up and running it barely needs any attention while all those that play are paying the same amount of a monthly sub as those that play the latest expansion.

Win Win for both the old players and Blizzard as a company :)
Following a cease & desist letter from Blizzard, the legacy Nostalrius servers were taken down, and a petition was started to encourage Blizzard to support legacy servers. Things got interesting when Blizzard’s former World of Warcraft team lead, Mark Kern, offered his support for Nostalrius’ petition, and promised that if the petition would gather 200.000 supporters, he would personally deliver the petition to Blizzard’s president and Co-founder, Mike Morhaime.

The petition easily reached 200.000 supporters, and as promised, Kern personally delivered nearly 10,000 pages of signatures and comments to Blizzard’s CEO.
Blizzard had later a meeting arranged with the Nostalrius team.

Mark did also make a video-message to Mike ..
youtube /watch?v=60CXk503QsQ&t=1s

I think that's it :)
Various currencies started appearing in their eyes and boom, it was made possible.
There is a pattern with blizzard, if you harass them enough, they give you what you want.
The reason was damage control.

They thought they had everyone in their little pocketses, but there was only a ring.
There was never any technical limitations. The game was up and running in 2005, so if they really wanted to they could absolutely have made it work at any point since.

The thing stopping them was the will to do it. Plain and simple. Its also unlikely to have been economically viable before Nostalrius.
Blizzard were never going to encourage anything other than their current expasion - that's good business sense. They probably felt demand for it would eventually go away and perhaps one of their expansions would be good enough to quash the demand.

Ultimatly if they can keep people happy whilst making some money then that's great PR for them, I doubt they are expecting to make billions but a healthy profit will satisfy the shareholders/board and earn goodwill with their playerbase.

I am sure Blizzard resisted Vanllia servers not out of spite but just faith that their current game would keep people happy. Ultimately demand and determination seems to have convinced them now (well when it's released) is the right time.
They have calculated the profit-to-cost ratio anew and it turned out promising, so -> WoW: Classic.