Arcane Pulse (racial)

General
So i've been leveling my nightbourne in this mess of a patch and noticed that with a rogue who does 40%+ of grp damage is bearable but i noticed that the racial is underwhelming.

For one, when i see the tank dip low i want to use it to give him some kiting room but the ability does not go off due to it being on the GCD.

and for two, the damage it provides is not justicable to spend on a GCD. Sure on low levels you get 2 seconds of overall haitus but in higher gear at max level i don't see it ever being used outside of a planed kite.

Could you lower the damage and remove from the GCD or increase the damage by 100% so it could compete with other damage abilities.
It's a racial, it's not meant to compete with other damage abilities.
06/05/2018 14:29Posted by Sanara

so what is it meant to compete with? arcane pulse is not worth pressing in almost every situation. if you manage to find some extremely niche case where you need an aoe slow and do not already have one somehow (which is quite the feat since almost every group will have one), it may be worth pressing. but most of the time you get an effect you have no need for and a negligible amount of damage for the cost of a global cooldown that could be spent pressing something better.

with how horribly underpowered the ability is, it definitely should not be on global. the fact that it's also a 3 minute cooldown is just a sad joke.
06/05/2018 15:04Posted by Retier
06/05/2018 14:29Posted by Sanara

so what is it meant to compete with? arcane pulse is not worth pressing in almost every situation. if you manage to find some extremely niche case where you need an aoe slow and do not already have one somehow (which is quite the feat since almost every group will have one), it may be worth pressing. but most of the time you get an effect you have no need for and a negligible amount of damage for the cost of a global cooldown that could be spent pressing something better.

with how horribly underpowered the ability is, it definitely should not be on global. the fact that it's also a 3 minute cooldown is just a sad joke.

Yeah it should be as powerful as other racial! Like will of the forsaken, to resist all those sleep/charm effects in modern raiding!

Wait...

Seriously though, racials aren't meant to compete. That's to stop one race being the "correct" answer for a class.
will of the forsaken fills a unique niche. it's got a good effect for pvp, and is occasionally useful in pve. problem with arcane pulse is it doesn't really have a niche, it's bad in both pve and pvp. if arcane torrent is an example of a racial that is consistently powerful, arcane pulse is an example of one that is consistently weak. arcane torrent is getting nerfed because it's too powerful, so why is arcane pulse not getting buffed because it's too weak?

your last point doesn't make much sense either as it's obviously not their intention for racials to be weak. there are plenty of powerful racials in this game, and they're even adding new powerful ones such as fireblood for dark iron dwarves.
Night Elves' active racial is Shadowmeld. It's basically useless.

It's appropriate that Horde Night Elves get a useless one too, no?
06/05/2018 15:52Posted by Sanara

shadowmeld is very powerful in pvp since it allows you to leave combat, interrupt casts on you and immune spells that hit you if you time it right. it also has some slight use in pve as a vanish or feign death. shadowmeld is much, much better than arcane pulse.

in fact, i'm struggling to come up with a single race that has a racial as bad as nightborne. maybe lightforged draenei?
06/05/2018 16:04Posted by Retier
06/05/2018 15:52Posted by Sanara

shadowmeld is very powerful in pvp since it allows you to leave combat

It doesn't, actually. You remain in combat for quite a while after Shadowmelding, which gives the enemy plenty of time to go and hit you since you can't move without breaking the stealth.

interrupt casts on you and immune spells that hit you if you time it right.

Again, interrupting casts isn't very useful since you won't be doing anything yourself. It's no more an interrupt than when someone fake casts, because it doesn't actually prevent them from immediately casting again. It also breaks from any damage and DoTs are abundant in PvP now.

I did a lot of PvP on my NElf Rogue to get Exalted with Silverwing Sentinels, trust me; Shadowmeld is marginally less useful than pretending to be AFK to get someone to stop focusing you.

it also has some slight use in pve as a vanish or feign death. shadowmeld is much, much better than arcane pulse.

And Arcane Pulse has some slight use as a slow. So what? That doesn't make it useful.
Shadowmeld is not useless. You can skip mobs in m+ by running past them and melding. You can survive a wipe. Melding on trash instantly clears Necrotic. Melding will cancel some casts, like Nightmare Bolt by Shade of Xavius. And unlike the PvP examples, he will not immediately pick a new target. ^^

I don't do srs PvP but in my sporadic battleground adventures I find melding near a node I'm defending to be useful.

That being said, Arcane Pulse doesn't seem useless to me either. Not every setup can permaslow mobs.
that's not true, you leave combat immediately when you shadowmeld in pvp combat. you don't use it to sit in stealth and afk, you use it to drop combat to re-enter stealth as a rogue or a druid and sit down for a drink as a healer.

a shadowmeld can give you a lot of mana since you can leave combat at will to sit down rather than run around waiting for the combat timer.
it can interrupt a full moon or chaos bolt on you to hold defensives or save your life when you're in trouble.
it can stop a cc cast on you, and you're very much underestimating this. i'm a druid, a mage is trying to sheep me on global so i can't shift it. i meld the cast and dodge the poly. a druid is on top of me trying to clone me, i meld in the middle of his cast and clone him instead.
it can immune cc. i see a storm bolt flying my way, if i time my meld right i will simply immune it.
and then there's the additional utility it has for rogues and druids as a way to enter stealth with meld->stealth/prowl since you drop combat.

06/05/2018 16:09Posted by Sanara
And Arcane Pulse has some slight use as a slow. So what? That doesn't make it useful.

problem with arcane pulse is that it is waaaaaaay too situational. the niche where it shines is so incredibly rare that it makes the racial very underwhelming. the main reason for this is that the effect it has is something tons of specs have access to anyway. in a vaccuum having access to an aoe slow isn't bad, it's just that you most likely already have access to aoe slows anyway, and then arcane pulse is redundant and pointless.
The pulse work in pvp as a slow when you're a caster and need some breathing space.
I agree. It either needs to deal more damage or root for one seconds in addition to the slow to justify being on GCD.
... its a racial. Why should it be anything significant?
I did point this out before but this forum kept telling me that racials doesnt matter.

Yes, they do no matter what they say and how many thumbs up they get. +2% critical strike damage and an extra debuff removal as dwarf racials do help alot time to time, especially when the dwarf is a rogue and can remove debuffs he normally couldnt remove before vanishing.

Arguments about racials is the only time i actually went against people and never changed my mind even if people told me im wrong. eh, i remember people even arguing that orcs racials are as bad as a Nightbornes racials for a melee Nightborne because orc racials gave +1% pet damage. Guess they forgot that orcs also have their rage racial that buffs their total numbers done and the extra stun resistance which can help all kind of classes.

Nightbornes snare racials cd should be reduced and also root people in place for a few seconds if used by melee Nightbornes..
06/05/2018 14:24Posted by Aldrachi
Could you lower the damage and remove from the GCD or increase the damage by 100% so it could compete with other damage abilities.

It's not supposed to be part of your rotation. If it was then they'd nerf it to the ground.