Jailed and fined for 'attacking Blizzard'.

General
Having him extradited for something like this is a huge victory for Blizzard. And getting him behind bars even more so. He totally deserved this, but if he's gonna do his time in an american prison, I almost feel sorry for him. Almost...

And cudos to the Romanian justice system for their role in getting him punished.
Awesome, now I also would love to see cheaters getting jailed because they also destroy games and damage game companies income!
So am I supposed to feel sorry for him (or her, shows how much I care...) or something?
If he/she wants sympathy.. It's in the dictionary. Between sh1t and syphilis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks1uyR3Wp1o
It shows that cheating the system and doing things that go against the rules of Blizzard doesn't pay in the end...this is an extreme example of it. It should teach that every player should PLAY FAIR at all times.
08/05/2018 16:55Posted by ßãßçä
if he's gonna do his time in an american prison, I almost feel sorry for him.

Are eastern europe prisons less sorry worthy?
"Mateias - who is said to have used the online alias Dr Mengele"

Make sure to change the alias to Tom Dubois after the prison trip!
08/05/2018 13:20Posted by Lswindrunner
Just found this hot off the press.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44038178

It's not stated in the article, so I had to dig a little, but for those wondering, the sentence was 1 year in jail. So it looks like he won't be playing BfA.

Read all the article and you will see that it does mention the 1 year jail sentence. He was also ordered to pay cost of a few tens of thousands of dollars to recompense Blizzard.

I'm glad he got caught and fined and hope that others that have tried the same tactics in onine gaming get caught too.
08/05/2018 19:15Posted by Pointybeard
08/05/2018 13:20Posted by Lswindrunner
Just found this hot off the press.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44038178

It's not stated in the article, so I had to dig a little, but for those wondering, the sentence was 1 year in jail. So it looks like he won't be playing BfA.

Read all the article and you will see that it does mention the 1 year jail sentence. He was also ordered to pay cost of a few tens of thousands of dollars to recompense Blizzard.

I'm glad he got caught and fined and hope that others that have tried the same tactics in onine gaming get caught too.

I actually wondered about the fine (or more specifically where the money to pay it came from), because the average Romanian, just wouldn't have a spare 30k dollars laying around to pay a fine if one came along. (Many average Western Europeans with much better wages on av wouldn't have that much spare cash either).
08/05/2018 20:21Posted by Lswindrunner

I actually wondered about the fine (or more specifically where the money to pay it came from), because the average Romanian, just wouldn't have a spare 30k dollars laying around to pay a fine if one came along. (Many average Western Europeans with much better wages on av wouldn't have that much spare cash either).

Again. Boohoo. What did he think he was going to get? Six hundred wow tokens?

Dont want to pay the fine or do the time?
Don't do the crime.
08/05/2018 20:45Posted by Souldefiler
Don't do the crime.

The question is whether it's a crime in Romania or not. If it is, then he should be sentenced in his own country. If not he shall be left alone. Extradition is the worst possible solution - this is just a declaration that the government doesn't care about its citizens. Next the damned muricans will declare that posting something they don't like on facebook or twitter deserves jail time.

I'm European, so !@#$ the damned muricans.
08/05/2018 22:10Posted by Shumensko
The question is whether it's a crime in Romania or not.

Pretty sure sabotaging a company's property is illegal in most countries.
Or maybe Romanian laws allow for people to slash a delivery company's truck tires? Idk, probably not though.
08/05/2018 18:40Posted by Shayrala
It shows that cheating the system and doing things that go against the rules of Blizzard doesn't pay in the end...this is an extreme example of it. It should teach that every player should PLAY FAIR at all times.

He didnt cheat. He DDOS the servers. Cehating will get you banned. Attacking a dsitributor directly will get you arrested. Just as it should be.
Don't do the crime.

The question is whether it's a crime in Romania or not. If it is, then he should be sentenced in his own country. If not he shall be left alone. Extradition is the worst possible solution - this is just a declaration that the government doesn't care about its citizens. Next the damned muricans will declare that posting something they don't like on facebook or twitter deserves jail time.

Why? To give every criminal encouragement and sense of safety, becuase he is not living in the country he commited crimes against?

In my country, we had a mass murderer from america. He manslaughtered whole family of his blood relatives and fled back home to states. Guess what? He was extradicted FROM the states back in here and sentenced to life in prison.

Or that was also wrong in your opinion?

We are, luckily, living in a civilized world, where diplomacy can go a long way and crime is a crime, no matter what you want to all it or what boundaries you want to slam in as a wedge.
Don't do the crime.

America can request the person to be extradited. Romanian government agreed.
Intentional sabotage of a company's property is illegal in most countries. Romania is no exception of the rule. The guy was a criminal and he got what was coming to him.
Good riddance. End of story.
09/05/2018 01:10Posted by Jaxir
He didnt cheat. He DDOS the servers. Cehating will get you banned. Attacking a dsitributor directly will get you arrested. Just as it should be.

A DDOS is against the rules of Blizzard.

http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/legal/wow_termination.html

Instituting, assisting, or become involved in, an attack upon any Blizzard Game server or otherwise attempt to disrupt any Game servers.

As I said...

08/05/2018 18:40Posted by Shayrala
doing things that go against the rules of Blizzard

Yes, I may not have explicitly stated that he did a crime, but the essence of what he did is there in the rules established by Blizzard. These rules would have served as an underlying argument for the case against the perpetrator. So that's why these rules exist. It's to prevent any person possibly claiming the "I didn't know" argument which applies to people guilty of gold selling, power leveling, hacking the game in various way, or running an illegal pirate server...yes THAT group of individuals ARE as guilty of a crime under the laws that govern intellectual property rights.
09/05/2018 03:27Posted by Shayrala
running an illegal pirate server...yes THAT group of individuals ARE as guilty of a crime under the laws that govern intellectual property rights.

Yes and no, it's not that simple tho.

Yes, it's Blizzard property and they are the rightful owners of all the content, but Blizzard removed the old game people bought back in the day (they changed the content), and yes, that's also all in their right, but the people behind Private servers have no intention to "steal" their stuff and use it to gain profit, no they're very dedicated fans that had no other way to play the old game again they once bought and loved so much! They've actually spend their own money and a hell lot of time to give other fans the option to play the old game again, it's a project out of love, that's why it's not that simple :)
I think asking more money if necessary to cover the damage or make him do social work would've been better, jail is too much considering also that he was already locked for 6 months...
It is simple.
Don't do the crime.
09/05/2018 09:26Posted by Yolandass
It is simple.
Don't do the crime.

he payed the fine