Is it weird for guys to play/roleplay girl characters?

General
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
08/05/2018 19:37Posted by Overlay
I've heard a few people saying that it's weird for guys to play female characters in games, not just WoW specifically. I'm on the fence about it, I can kinda see both sides of the argument. What do you people think about it?

The only weird thing, would be if you actually found that weird.
Cause that says alot about you, and not in a good way.
Wht are you worried about what other people think of your toon's gender? Are they paying your sub? I've been making female characters for years and never once felt the need to either purge my soul of sinful thoughts or rushed to the nearest hospital demanding "make me a woman now and I want to look like this!".

If someone finds your choices offensive they're the ones with the problem. And that goes for EVERY aspect of life, not just a set of coloured pixels on a screen.
As okay as a girl playing a dwarf male *winks*
13 years I’ve been reading these forums - this now is prolly the longest ongoing (and always the most useless) topic
08/05/2018 20:41Posted by Iggwilv
13 years I’ve been reading these forums - this now is prolly the longest ongoing (and always the most useless) topic

did you miss all other posts on these forums?
Not at all. Roleplaying in any environment is perfectly healthy. Many guys roleplay or at least play as female characters because it is a new and opposing (yet pleasant) view to what they usually have as a guy.

Now, just cos you RP as a female character doesn't mean you are weird, or gay, or queer or !@#$%^-*!@#. Sometimes Female characters look better in certain armour, or have better animations. Most of the time its simply refreshing to try a different mask on.

Just don't worry about it, the only "ew" aspect is when people get into the playin-female-cos-she's-slutty-and-I-get-turned-on part of things. Then that's a bit awkward and I'd rather not have you near me! But those people are few, even among the Slutmoggers!
people saying that it's weird for guys to play female characters in games, not just WoW specifically. I'm on the fence about it

It's only weird to people that have weird thoughts like if they play as a female character it somehow brings into question their sexuality.

Which is ironic because that level of fear that what ever it is they're insecure about might just be the truth is more of an indication that it is.

Why would I care what someone play as, that's a waste of my time, do you.
08/05/2018 21:00Posted by Canabal
people saying that it's weird for guys to play female characters in games, not just WoW specifically. I'm on the fence about it

It's only weird to people that have weird thoughts like if they play as a female character it somehow brings into question their sexuality.

Which is ironic because that level of fear that what ever it is they're insecure about might just be the truth is more of an indication that it is.

Why would I care what someone play as, that's a waste of my time, do you.

But it could be a chick you could feed your ego against or dude.
@Overlay: Some people forget that despite the limitations and restrictions of the game, WoW at its heart is MMORPG... We play roles, some just more deeply than others. I have both male and female characters, but if someone asks through whisper, I will tell them my true gender. I do not identify as a true neutral female human druid, chaotic evil orc sorceress, lawful evil male hobbit rogue nor a gender-uncertain middle-aged golden dragon and most certainly not as a singing broom or four-armed fire breathing goddess statue, yet I have played all of those and literally dozens of other roles over the around 34 years I could identify myself as a role player, in the traditional pen & paper format or more...
Nothing weird in it. Personally I just can't connect with a female character the way I connect with a male character.

It's a shame though, strong females are fascinating and cool.
Male characters in dresses just don't cut it for me. Likewise a Female Warrior of any race also doesn't cut it.

For me, I tend to play ranged females and melee males.
who cares

if someone takes offense to the fact that youre playing a female gnome if you're not actually a female or a gnome irl then they have bigger issues than you do
I'm a guy that plays a female character that identifies as male.
Looks is more important than gender
Nay, not really.

The point of roleplaying is to put yourself in the shoes of someone you're not.

I play both male and female characters based who I think looks better in what transmog/with what animations.

Generally I only play Orcs and Draenei for males and a mix of female races from Orcs to Elves.
I feel next to no 'connection' to characters in WoW, so I just pick whatever looks nicer, which happens more often than not be a female character. Undead male was nice until new animations ruined them for me.
My characters aren't me nor do they represent me.

I actually find it kinda weird that people can establish a connection to their characters in this game but I don't want to project my own sensibilities onto others so whatever, roll with what you feel comfy playing imo, be it for any reason.
I always find it a little weird and creepy (maybe that's just me, but evidence suggest otherwise) when people get weird about what sex a character is as opposed to the player behind the character. I think we can all read between the lines and work out why they're a bit squicked by it; They're not Roleplayers, they're the sort who turn up as realm tourists in Goldshire looking for their internet jollies and are a bit disturbed by the idea that it might be a man behind the -other- realm tourist, and what that says about their own sexuality.

No. Nothing weird about it at all. You ever read a book written by a man with a female character in it or vice versa? You ever watched TV, with a script written by a man which involves a female actor, or vice versa? You ever watched a film with a script written by a man which involves a female character or vice versa?

If you weren't weirded out by that, you shouldn't be weirded out by men playing female characters or women playing male characters. If you are, then...I don't know, work out your issues with your own insecurities first, then address the question again.

I have female characters, they're actually all based on women I know IRL, because as a bloke IRL I don't have the complete frame of reference. I also write stories, novellas, I don't think that every character in them should have outdoor plumbing just because I do as the writer.

It always strikes me as a bit creepy, as I say, when people are getting hung up on that, and it kind of says what they are after in a game...Pixellated booty.
Nope.

There's plenty of games that allows me to play different gender/ethnicity/species/... than my own.

All it boils down to is how well the character is written so I can relate, the rest is fluff.
08/05/2018 21:53Posted by Brigante
It always strikes me as a bit creepy, as I say, when people are getting hung up on that, and it kind of says what they are after in a game...Pixellated booty.

I'd tap that
Wait, did I just think that about a MAN? Are they injecting me with the gay?! Damn soy eating libruls
I personally would find it awkward to play a female character. Its not even that I am a particularly macho guy, but more that the character would seem harder to relate to.

That being said, I think everyone has their own views of how their character should look as and what associations they make with such looks. I know girls who play male characters and obviously there is a lot of guys who play girl characters. But the game is an MMORPG, where you get to be a dwarf or whatever else you want and gender is just another character aspect you can customise.