People think I'm scamming when I'm just unaware

General
I've been trying to sell and buy services and items for awhile now and I noticed something troubleing. I am kind of new to the game so I am not really aware of the worth of services and items when people ask me for a price. When I offer a price they either don't respond or say that I am scamming them. Why would you assume that I am scamming you instead of thinking that I am just not aware of the price?

All you need to do is to come with a counter-offer but it feels like people are so used to prices being fixed and unable to be negotiated with that they just leave it instead of coming with a counter-offer.
I never reply to people advertising but I do presume everyone is running a scam always.

If I were to buy any kind of boost I'd have to find someone I thought was reputable, for example if I wanted to buy a Mythic kill boost I'd probably only buy from a guild that has multiple kills and a good reputation.

It does amuse me that most boost advertisers will never put their prices in their ad. I've heard some will send you an automessage when you /w them directing you to some dodgy website.

I do have friends who run boosts but I have zero interest in making gold or having to run more M+ etc than I already do.

However I'm just one person and I'm always suspicious of anything offered :)
I think most people these days are aware of the prices and mostly don't think the seller will bargain about it.

For items just check the AH and for services like dancing naked by the Stormwind fountain you just try to come to an agreement ;)
For services like dancing naked by the Stormwind fountain you just try to come to an agreement ;)

I'd totally pay for this, wouldn't even care if I got scammed.
What specifically are you selling and how much are you asking?
I've been trying to sell different things. Latest was a boost through mythic+0 upper kara. A bunch of people asked me for price, I clearly said I don't know what it may be worth so I said 5k. If they wanted more they missed out on an oppurtunity to make gold because I would have payed more. I'm always down to bargain I don't see why people don't take the chance and counter-offer.
15/05/2018 10:57Posted by Punyelf
It does amuse me that most boost advertisers will never put their prices in their ad.

I wonder about this too. I actually asked one such advertiser and got back the answer of 500k. I'm not stupid and have done boost purchases in the past - convenience because I don't have time for organised raiding due to work commitments so 20-30 minutes in a raid boost is value for money for me...BUT not at a price such as this. I know this isn't the right price though I haven't seen anyone say "We sell it at X gold". If a guild is reputable they'd say OUTRIGHT what they're offering for. That's why the guild I used previously had repeat business, but unfortunately they stopped raiding so now I'm stuck...

I'm interested in a boost on Aszune/Shadowsong so if anyone reading this knows a reputable guild on either realm that I can get in touch with, please leave a guild name...
will save you the time.

Pve Boost services offered in silvermoon

Argus HC only kill - 75k - 125k (PL)
Argus normal only kill - 10k-15k (PL)

Antorus HC full run - 300-400k (PL)
Antorus normal full run - 70k - 100k (PL)

Antorus Mythic 7/11 - 1.2 Mill (ML)
Antorus Mythic 9/11 - 2 Mill ( ML)

+15 Mythic boost 120K-150K

Twink boost levelling up 2k for 10 stockade runs

These are valid prices as of this week
15/05/2018 11:59Posted by Shayrala
I'm interested in a boost on Aszune/Shadowsong so if anyone reading this knows a reputable guild on either realm that I can get in touch with, please leave a guild name...

On our realm, Pieces which are like Realm #1/World #6 guild advertise on our realm forums with a clear structured price list for all their services - https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613803045#post-1

Does your realm forum have something similar maybe?
People are generally very suspicious these days, which is something that has really changed since the early days of WoW.
It's like people refuse to believe, that you can actually be nice and generous without trying to scam people.

I have tried multiple times, to give away the "tentacle" heirloom trinket for free. It's the one that comes in a tradeable bag.
But whenever I whisper low level people, that look like they could use it, all I get back is /spit, /ignore or insults.
It's sad really :(
15/05/2018 12:17Posted by Daylo
People are generally very suspicious these days, which is something that has really changed since the early days of WoW.
It's like people refuse to believe, that you can actually be nice and generous without trying to scam people.

I have tried multiple times, to give away the "tentacle" heirloom trinket for free. It's the one that comes in a tradeable bag.
But whenever I whisper low level people, that look like they could use it, all I get back is /spit, /ignore or insults.

Wow. That's sad

Do you think this is because they themselves would never ever be generous and give people things without asking for anything in return. So they think other people have the same mentality as themselves?

Not really I've been distrusting of people for years. I know so many people who got ripped off doing things like mongoose enchant, either the person wouldn't pay up, or the enchanter ran off with your mats etc. Selling mounts where they'd take your gold but not trade the mount. Being ripped off is not new, nor is being distrustful of scammers.
15/05/2018 12:38Posted by Villervalla

Do you think this is because they themselves would never ever be generous and give people things without asking for anything in return. So they think other people have the same mentality as themselves?

No, it's mostly because enough examples have come to exist over the course of WoW to become suspicious. From Mages taking gold for portals and stopping the cast last-second (even in the post-reagent days...), ninjas, people selling boosts but not delivering, mailbox COD scams, etc; and, the other way around, where what first seems to be generosity turns out to be mere pranks or whatnot.
15/05/2018 12:38Posted by Villervalla

Or they've simply had bad experiences with strangers themselves. People are also far more suspicious of people randomly whispering or trading them stuff than they are if you offer it in a public channel.

If I want to get rid of those tentacle heirloom bags I just offer them in trade to the first ten whispers and shove them in the mail.
..like dancing naked by the Stormwind fountain..

Made my first million this way
As a matter i got chat banned 24h from the realm because i reported a scammer selling fake Argus HC boost and calling him out.What happend next was one of the shocking things i witnessed in this game, they logged on there alts and mass reported and trash talk me in chat,spinning there lies there own way,because they had the people number.
It was one of the disgusting feelings i ever had with this game,where a victim got abused by scammers.And i see it from time to time in trade chat,where people try to worn people of this and that,and you insta see the sceptic or some meme guy trying to diffuse the fire.It hit me then,that they got some sort of monopoly and track everything.
And in part Blizzard is kinda to blame.Gold is these days meaningless,and the report/penalties are a joke.
15/05/2018 11:59Posted by Shayrala
15/05/2018 10:57Posted by Punyelf
It does amuse me that most boost advertisers will never put their prices in their ad.

I wonder about this too.

Probably to try and avoid being undercut constantly by other people selling boosts.
15/05/2018 12:41Posted by Punyelf

Not really I've been distrusting of people for years. I know so many people who got ripped off doing things like mongoose enchant, either the person wouldn't pay up, or the enchanter ran off with your mats etc. Selling mounts where they'd take your gold but not trade the mount. Being ripped off is not new, nor is being distrustful of scammers.

While I’ve always kept it in mind when I gave mats to a stranger offering their services, I’ve never actually been scammed. And I’d usually put the gold in too rightaway, so they’d know I wouldn’t cheat them. It’s a risk but I’d rather trust people, esp after chatting with them for a bit and checking ‘their vibe’.

I’ve never scammed anyone either when they gave me the mats. I’d often say I do it for free and get a big tip anyway. My experience has been that there are many decent people :).

Not saying it’s not true, I’ve heard of scams too many times to be that naive. But you know, positive note :D. And OP, I have no idea about prices for boosting services but if I were you I’d check the ongoing prices to be sure and from there on just shrug if you get a silly response (or none at all). Your price doesn’t sound unreasonable either way.
15/05/2018 10:48Posted by Villervalla
All you need to do is to come with a counter-offer but it feels like people are so used to prices being fixed and unable to be negotiated with that they just leave it instead of coming with a counter-offer.

I don't know where you live and what kind of business culture you are used to, but most Europeans aren't accustomed to haggling over prices. Just visit Morocco or Turkey and observe Euro tourists on a marketplace, you will see that most of them are absolutely lame at it, it makes them uncomfortable. The only exception seem to be individuals who genuinly enjoy arguing with others.

It comes as no surprise to me that people who never (or almost never) sport price haggling irl, they aren't gonna do it ingame either.