Enhancement Shaman Feedback

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
I will cover what my idea of what enhance is and should feel like, some of the things I think is wrong with the spec on Beta, and suggestions of how some of it could be improved.

My idea of enhance:

Enhancement for me, is a fast paced playstyle, which required you to act fast with the possible procs you get, and to prioritize correctly. It's one of the specs in the game that's the fastest, which is why I like playing it. Every botton feels meningful and hard hitting. And if not, it feels useful for stacking damage (Flametongue fx.). There is almost always something to do, and it comes down to resource management, procs and prioritizing, to do a lot of damage.

Forceful Winds concern:

One of my concerns about enhancement, is the talent Foreceful Winds, which could spiral out of control the later in the expaniton we get. It seems like a talent that might require a nerf later on, the more and more Mastery and Haste we get.
The talent is a good idea, and I like playing with it, my concern is just later in the expantion.

Enhancements AoE situation:

At the moment, on Beta, Enhancement is very single target damage focused, with increased single target damage, in AoE situations. It is some what compareable to sublity rogue on live, and this is very largely based off of the talent Forceful Winds.
Enhance used to have more AoE in the past (Fire Nova), which was removed. I am not going to argue weather we should have that strong AoE anymore or not, but as it stands now, our true AoE damage is very small. (True aoe meaning, not just increased damage because of multible targets, but effects that deal damage to many targets)

Our AoE comes from a few sources, Crash Lightning being the only default one.
There are two components to Crash Lightning, the initian hit, which comes with the press of the button, and the buff you get from hitting more than one target with it. The initial hit, counts as a melee swing on any targets hit by it, which can proc Windfury or other on hit effects on every target hit.

The second tool we have for AoE is Fury of Air, which is a large amount of our true AoE, and the current power of that talent, compared to any other talent in that row, makes other choices very undesireable. Crashing storm does so little it's barely noticeable, and Sundering, has a CC component build in to it, which penalises the ability, because it can't have a short cooldown, and be a decent CC. The damage form sundering is good, but the cooldown is far too great to be desired.

My suggestion for a solution to the AoE talent row:

1) Replace Crashing Storm with the ToS tier bonus for enhancement, making Storm Strike increase the initial damage of Crash Lightning, (This allows the Crashing Storm to either be removed, or be added as default for flavor. (I saw this suggested by another shaman))

2) Keep Fury of Air, it's in a good place imo, also with the amount of maelstorm we generate at the current state of the game, it's fairly easy to maintain, but also possible to overspend on other things, turning it off and forcing a global on reactivating it.

3) Remove the CC component of Sundering completely, CC has been heavily reduced in BfA, and this is not a place where I would miss it much, if it ment reducing it to a 15-20 seconds cooldown maybe. Enough to be competetive with the other options.

After the AoE row, I would like to touch on the buttom row, Elemental Spirits, Earthen Spike, and Ascendance

The current state of Elemental Spirits, feels like throwing a dice, with only 1/6 of the possibilties being what you wished for. Which is not what your only offensive cooldown should be. And the rest 5/6 being sub par, not to mention 4/6 of them feeling nearly useless. I'm ofcourse talking about the Lightning wolf versus any other of the wolfs. Fire wolfs empowering your filler ability, and Frost wolfs, being a passive thing with no reaction to it, not to mention both their damage is a lot lower that the Lightning wolf effect. It's like having Roll the Bones on steroids, aswell as it being 1.5minute cooldown (not to mention our only offencive cooldown).

Earthen Spike is fine, it just comes down to a number game, weather it's the highest dps talent or not, but the use of it is fine, like it is on live. No problem here.

And last, is Ascendance, which I suspect you to be working on internally (atleast I'm hoping you are), because with Stormstrike having been changed to nature damage, there is nearly no benefit from Ascendance in it's current state. It's nearly only the survival hunter ability Aspect of the Eagle (increased range). It does reduce the cooldown by 80%, but if you get a lot of Stormbringer procs, it essentially does nothing but increase the range. Which is not competetive with the other options in the row, and especially not for a 3minute cooldown.

No space for TLDR, sorry.
To the AoE talents:
1)I like the idea. But maybe also with Windfury procing the dmg boost and just 5 stacks. This way the Talent wouldn't be pretty weak after the first Crash lightning.
2) It would be more interesting with higher cost and dmg. With more Mastery/Tempo it gets more to a buff you can't keep up constantly without having to worry that you run out of Maelstrom
3) Sundering will be one of those talents that are useless either from the beginning or in the middle of the expansion as it doesn't scale with Mastery or Tempo. Its dmg should be turned into nature dmg and/or with a reduced CD through Tempo.

Lvl 100 row:
Ascedance indeed feels extremly clunky and not complete. As Stromstrike suddenly deals physical dmg I wouldn't be suprised if it's even a dmg loss with a certain amount of Mastery.
And without enough Tempo I'm in this akward situation where I don't know if I should wait for Stromstrike to be ready again or use something else because its CD is a bit longer than the GCD.

The current state of Elemental Spirits, feels like throwing a dice, with only 1/6 of the possibilties being what you wished for.
It's like having Roll the Bones on steroids, aswell as it being 1.5minute cooldown (not to mention our only offencive cooldown).

At least with RtB you have the option to reroll. The only real solution for Elemental Spirits would be to spawn one of each type to prevent bad rng.
15/05/2018 16:29Posted by Tormentor

Lvl 100 row:
Ascedance indeed feels extremly clunky and not complete. As Stromstrike suddenly deals physical dmg I wouldn't be suprised if it's even a dmg loss with a certain amount of Mastery.
And without enough Tempo I'm in this akward situation where I don't know if I should wait for Stromstrike to be ready again or use something else because its CD is a bit longer than the GCD.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, before BfA stormstrike was physical, which has been changed to nature, the same as the ascendance stormstrike, the only damage increase from ascendance is the reduced cooldown of it, and the range you get.

Besides that, I agree more or less. ^^
15/05/2018 16:53Posted by Burstingroze
I'm not quite sure what you mean, before BfA stormstrike was physical, which has been changed to nature, the same as the ascendance stormstrike, the only damage increase from ascendance is the reduced cooldown of it, and the range you get.

And Stromstrike (nature dmg) turns into Windstrike(physical dmg)

http://bfa.wowhead.com/spell=115357/windstrike
http://bfa.wowhead.com/spell=115357/windstrike

Ah I see, it's either a tool tip bug, or a straight up nerf, making Ascendance a damage loss if you have enough Stormbringer procs during it.
15/05/2018 14:16Posted by Burstingroze
Enhancements AoE situation:

At the moment, on Beta, Enhancement is very single target damage focused, with increased single target damage, in AoE situations. It is some what compareable to sublity rogue on live, and this is very largely based off of the talent Forceful Winds.
Enhance used to have more AoE in the past (Fire Nova), which was removed. I am not going to argue weather we should have that strong AoE anymore or not, but as it stands now, our true AoE damage is very small. (True aoe meaning, not just increased damage because of multible targets, but effects that deal damage to many targets)

Tbh I would be more than happy seeing Fire Nova and Flame/Frost Shock back. Actually having a dot on any situation is generally good it worked much better than Live. Add Crash Lightning buff for AoE, add Flame Tongue buff single target, add Frostbrand buff I you happen to use FailStorm. Trying to keep all these buffs up is already pretty meh and dry.

To add all other bad design choices to Shaman and any other class, I really don't expect much from upcoming expansion.

15/05/2018 16:29Posted by Tormentor
Lvl 100 row:

Ascendance should be our Dmg cd as it used to. I don't see any reason why it should be dead talent pick again. Wasn't 2 years enough already?
Tbh I would be more than happy seeing Fire Nova and Flame/Frost Shock back.

I wouldn't mind that at all, but the way blizzard has taken the spec, it seems like we're not one of the specs with high AoE potential, like we used to be. I just don't enjoy the small cone of Crash Lightning much, it's a small effective aura, only infront of you, so you can easily be forced to not hit certain mobs. Not to mention it feels like a wet noodle. The only thing I like about it, is that it counts as a main hand swing on everything, so you get a chance to proc windfury, and other on hit on all targets.

I really do think the Crashing Storm talent, should be replaced by the ToS set bonus, or some other effect that lets you "gather static energy to unleash on your foes." Something along thoes lines, so you get rewarded in AoE situations, and want to position your self just right for that one big value hit.
It's more interactive than a bland set and forget talent, that loses all value if your group has to kite adds or something else.
16/05/2018 11:53Posted by Burstingroze
I really do think the Crashing Storm talent, should be replaced by the ToS set bonus

As I have been saying all along Legion. Crashing Storm should be one of our passives since it does minimal dmg and it was used only during leveling. But for some bizarre we lack of any proper passives.

ToS bonus would be fine replacer to already really bland choices.
How about getting the PvP talent Ride the Lightning as a talent choice instead of say Crashing Storm. Right now with War Mode activated, it feels really awful switching from litteral thunder god while levelling/wq to doing nothing AoE related when entering a dungeon.

Also, agreed on Roll the Wolves feeling really to rng dependent (give us all 3 wolves all the time) and our defensives being way too lackluster (Earth Shield isn't DR so it doesn't help against one-shot situations, and NG procs all the time so it's never gonna be up when you need it, and the Ghost Wolf DR talent is way too clunky and punishing, requiring 4 sec of no-dps setup).
22/05/2018 17:13Posted by Velpo
Right now with War Mode activated, it feels really awful switching from litteral thunder god while levelling/wq to doing nothing AoE related when entering a dungeon.

Over half of PvP talents should be baseline. But what I know, we are just players/customers and not Devs
22/05/2018 17:13Posted by Velpo
How about getting the PvP talent Ride the Lightning as a talent choice instead of say Crashing Storm.

I agree something like that would be a good idea.
Something like this, the ToS tier bonus, or another idea is:

Something like the other talent, in same pvp, row called Static Cling, but changed for aoe purposes only.
My idea is something along the lines of a "tethering line that spread between mobs"
Our aoe is kind of low at the moment, and I don't think we're getting something major, but how about the target you Stormstrike, if it has other enemies nearby, it creates a static line between them, somehting like 2 lines from 1 mob, every storm strike, and then it chains from mob to mob, every time you storm strike. It would have no effect on single target, but spread with every stormstriek use, creating a lightning tether between the mobs. Something like the legendary belt, but spread on it's own, so you have a ramp effect.

[If you stormstrike a target with nearby enemies, a Lightning Tether will be created, pulsing for lightning damage every second, and overcharge dealing a chunk of damage every cast of stormstrike, spreading to another target]

Main target of stormstrike spreads 2 tethers when you stormstrike them, and a target that is tethered, but not directly attacked by stormstrike, spreads 1 tehther when stormstrike is used on a target connected by the tethers.

It would allow ramp in aoe situations, work a little like Crash Lightning, but slower in the beginning, as it ramps up to great effect.

This also allows it to be fairly strong, as it has literally 0 effect in a single target situation, unlike the Fury of Air, and Sundering which will do something single target.

And it would look really good, having lightning chains spread from mob mob, doing a pulse, as you stormstrike. It would be very visually satisfying. In my mind, i'm thinking something like the lightning that connects you and the target when you use Static Cling.

Just an idea. ^^
How about instead of giving us something and fixing stuff they just reduce Stormstrike's damage by around 40%, making it less important than Lava Lash, and slap us in the face? Oh wait...
So to make Ascedance "more interesting" they reverted the only good change for Enhancers and additionally nerfed the Talent itself...
Will it even be worth casting Stormstrike with this change? From pure numbers it looks like just spamming Lava Lash would deal more dmg.
And what do we have at the moment ? "Zero" aoe dps , low dps in single target , cleave is bad ! thx bliz, gj (Kappa)

#rip enha
I think (atleast hope) that there is some method to the madness, but I really just want a blue answer to what's happening to enhancement, because it seems so back and forth.

I just want to know what's happening internal, like Affliction, Balance and Fury has had.

It feels like Blizzard doesn't know what they want to do with the spec, at all. And I don't think that's the case, it just appears that way with everything that has happend to us.
26/05/2018 10:44Posted by Burstingroze
I think (atleast hope) that there is some method to the madness, but I really just want a blue answer to what's happening to enhancement, because it seems so back and forth.

I just want to know what's happening internal, like Affliction, Balance and Fury has had.

It feels like Blizzard doesn't know what they want to do with the spec, at all. And I don't think that's the case, it just appears that way with everything that has happend to us.

It was already mistake to change Enh to resource based class and remove all our raid abilities tbh. Beside there has been no post about what direction they are going go with Shamans. So again if they change something I bet it is going to be something really stupid and developed without any feedback or they don't do jack.
27/05/2018 07:01Posted by Mönkiäinen
So again if they change something I bet it is going to be something really stupid and developed without any feedback or they don't do jack.

Again, I think it's the lack of communication, with strange changes added on top of our spec, that's causing this... "desiapr" if you will.

We used to be a class with heavy AoE in the form of Fire Nova, which has been removed. And we got changes to something with no real niche, exept for alright cleave.

The only think we got going for us, imo. is the way we press buttons. It feels a lot more active, than just about any other spec to me. Which is why I really don't want to reroll to another class.

But in m+ we're probably going to be the new Shadow Priest meme. If it continues in this direction. Which is why I just really think blizzard owe us atleast a response to what's happening. They've done it with other specs, and I don't knwo if we're not raising our voices enough about what's happening to us, or what, but doesn't feel good to be left in the dark, with the current state of the spec.
Sundering is in my opinion the best talent option for AOE damage and deals the damage of 2 stormstike's currenty (8k), and can give nice crits (also has good use for single target). it only cost 20 maelstrom vs 123 for the same duration of Fury of Air (40sec). Fury of Air does overall a slight bit more damage (300damage) but at cost of 100 maelstrom it's not worth it. you will be better overall using that maelstrom on other abilities like lava lash that hit for like 3k for 40 maelstrom. Only downside of sundering is it's cooldown (40sec).

I agree that at the moment the AOE situasion isn't good, for me it's just a matter for tuning the numbers. for example: why not let Crash Lightning deal more damage on initial hit? currently it hits for just under 500. why not make it around 2k, to see how that goes? as long as our single target abilities are hitting harder than Crash Lightning than we are good. This would be a good starting point, you should want to press Crash Lightning in AOE situasions on cooldown, and not just before the enhancement of your weapons expire (10 secs).
27/05/2018 12:13Posted by Rawrmoo
for example: why not let Crash Lightning deal more damage on initial hit?

As good as an idea this is, personally I don't think it's enough, altough it would defninitely be better. It's somewhat like the ToS t20 set bonus, which could be another step in the right direction. I just don't think we can compete with the current mechaics of our AoE. It's short range, requires positioning much more than any other spec, and one of the greatest values from AoEing atm. is the talent Forceful Winds, because CL counts as main hand hit on each target, so you'll likely trigger one or several windfury procs. Not the AoE it self.

We need big number buffs, or mechanical changes.
I'd prefer the ladder, but I suspect it's the former we get, if any.
It was already mistake to change Enh to resource based class and remove all our raid abilities tbh. Beside there has been no post about what direction they are going go with Shamans. So again if they change something I bet it is going to be something really stupid and developed without any feedback or they don't do jack.

I totally agree with you...
They need to go back to the basics and rethink the whole class design. Nobody likes the new enhancement anyways. We should be a mixed range totemic warrior using melee and the elements with the utility of our totems, not a basic resource-starved warrior(but worse) with 2-3 totems and a stupid 10yd range on all abilities.