Wow Economy?

General
This post will hopefully get a blue response but here's my question:

This is no particular criticism or praise for the economy in its current form, but do the blues have any thoughts about the economy and the way it's come about over the years and into the future in terms of inflation, the importance of gold sinks, and whether Blizzard consider the economy to be in a good place or a bad one? Do the developers often talk about the economy or is it something that for now is working just fine in the players hands?

Also, another question I have is do Blizzard intend to make NPCs and the game itself a larger part of the economy? This is a weird question at first, but what I mean is, apart from gold sinks, could there a possibility for the actions of NPCs to have create economic ripples or form a larger part of the economy?

For example, there could be a reagent/crafting material that drops from a particular group of NPCs that one day could be in short supply and drive up prices. Or vendors could contribute much higher sums of gold for selling rare items etc etc. Idk really, but it seems NPCs play a very very tiny role in the economy outside of what I've already mentioned and whilst a player driven economy works well since the dawn of wow itself, maybe there could be something new that affects the flow of gold amongst the game?
It's pretty evident Blizzard don't care about the horrid inflation of gold in WoW. People frequently say how 'worthless' gold is now (it isn't, mind you)...

They said they "learnt" their mistake of the garrison's sustainability and free gold off it. And what did they do? They made it so much worse in Legion with more gold being thrown at you for sneezing.

Mentioned in another thread where one can easily muster up to 15k gold daily from doing Missions and World Quests. Per character! In WoD it was 2-3k off the Garrison...
17/05/2018 01:48Posted by Harlee
15k gold daily from doing Missions and World Quests. Per character

I have 20 chars at 110 and none of them can earn 15k per day from missions and world quests i feel like iam missing something here as i get 1 or 2 gold mssions which usually give me 2.5 to 3 k each max so thats 5 to 6k max mission hall then cleaing all dailies i cant see another 9 to 10 k on top :/ i know you use the follower thing with 50g and 100g and things but thats insane gold sorry Harl i know you dont BS but wish i knew how u did it .
17/05/2018 01:54Posted by Divinius
17/05/2018 01:48Posted by Harlee
15k gold daily from doing Missions and World Quests. Per character

I have 20 chars at 110 and none of them can earn 15k per day from missions and world quests i feel like iam missing something here as i get 1 or 2 gold mssions which usually give me 2.5 to 3 k each max so thats 5 to 6k max mission hall then cleaing all dailies i cant see another 9 to 10 k on top :/ i know you use the follower thing with 50g and 100g and things but thats insane gold sorry Harl i know you dont BS but wish i knew how u did it .

By doing literally every WQ [when I was doing it for rep/paragon mounts] with the 150g/WQ equipment. :P

9 zones, average of 7 WQs in each... that's 9450 gold, with just the 150g/WQ equipment... not including gold reward WQs themselves, or the emissary/paragon caches.
17/05/2018 01:58Posted by Harlee

By doing literally every WQ [when I was doing it for rep/paragon mounts] with the 150g/WQ equipment. :P

9 zones, average of 7 WQs in each... that's 9450 gold, with just the 150g/WQ equipment... not including gold reward WQs themselves, or the emissary/paragon caches.

You are insane /bow i thought i was bat sh.. crazy <3
17/05/2018 02:02Posted by Divinius

I was going bat sh.. crazy grinding rep off WQs for them paragon mounts. Got them all now thankfully, my lack of WQ duties now has impacted my gold income somewhat [less gold, less mats to DE, less Bloods, less trash to vendor, etc.]. :P

The price for sanity!
It's basically irrelevant and inflation isn't a problem. The game doesn't have much of a real economy.
It could be because I played Eve for so long, that I consider the wow "economy" to be irreparably broken.

A large part of that is due to basic game design choices though. Items that last for ever once you have them, bis coming almost exclusively from drops not crafts, the ease/speed at which crafts can be levelled across any number of alts etc. Basically the economy is undermined from the start, with player imput largely reduced to a minor role.

Seriously, calling this a "player driven" economy is mildly amusing to anyone who has experienced Eve for any length of time.
17/05/2018 11:34Posted by Totemtech
It could be because I played Eve for so long, that I consider the wow "economy" to be irreparably broken.

A large part of that is due to basic game design choices though.

WoW has never been an economy focused MMO like Eve though. Gold is never the aim unless you make it so, its just a tool you earn and spend along the way, or save up if you want to buy something expensive (including game time).

Items that last for ever once you have them

Gear lasts forever, consumables obviously doesn't. With the amount of RNG involved, having gear broken and lost forever would kill all difficulties of raiding and dungeons, probably even lfr and normal dungeons.

bis coming almost exclusively from drops not crafts,

How would you get people to do dungeons and raids if they had an alternative to get their bis gear from crafts? In vanilla and even in TBC crafted gear used to be decent enough to keep as a filler for missing armor parts, but it definitely wasn't bis. If bis gear could also come from crafts, everyone would've been either farming materials or crafing bis gear to make more gold. How fun would the game have been then?

the ease/speed at which crafts can be levelled across any number of alts etc.

Depends on which profession you are talking about. It costs quite to gold to level Engineering and JC up to 800, but if you have enough gold you can still power level your crafting professions. That doesn't work for gathering professions though.

Basically the economy is undermined from the start, with player imput largely reduced to a minor role.

Seriously, calling this a "player driven" economy is mildly amusing to anyone who has experienced Eve for any length of time.

It has been this way from the start, its the way WoW has been, is, and most likely will be in future too.
Im guessing they want the economy the way it is. At the mo blizz make far more money off selling a 1 month sub on the AH, then over a normal monthly sub. The mark up is horrendous, and greedy af..

Makes them look good, oh look people can grind 350k to play for free! Aren't we generous. When in reality they're ripping some poor sod off who's buys them to make 350k gold for a ridiculous price.
17/05/2018 12:20Posted by Chocooh
When in reality they're ripping some poor sod off who's buys them to make 350k gold for a ridiculous price.
They're not getting ripped off, they know what they're getting when they pay for it. It's their own choice to buy it and it's much better than the old alternative of buying gold illegally.
17/05/2018 12:27Posted by Infuria
17/05/2018 12:20Posted by Chocooh
When in reality they're ripping some poor sod off who's buys them to make 350k gold for a ridiculous price.
They're not getting ripped off, they know what they're getting when they pay for it. It's their own choice to buy it and it's much better than the old alternative of buying gold illegally.

The mark ups rediculous, you're paying over a month sub for an automated service. I'd understand a 20% cut, but it's over 100% and way more then any other game does. In my opinion that's a rip off, fair play if others don't mind it though. And there's still an insane amount of gold sellers.
I have 20 chars at 110 and none of them can earn 15k per day from missions and world quests

15k?....you mean more like 25k per day easy.

17/05/2018 02:05Posted by Harlee
grinding rep off WQs for them paragon mounts. Got them all now thankfully

Got all of them at least 3-4 times each.

17/05/2018 02:02Posted by Divinius

Only if you were the one doing the heavy lifting.

The other day someone said in party chat "Everyone leave group, Canabal is AFK" instead of him staying quiet and going AFK too, poor sap.

Some people are, how do I put this politely, "Hard Workers" and who am I to get in the way of that.