#NO CHANGES!! .. But.. TMog?

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
28/05/2018 11:13Posted by Kagemoth
I like the fact that a char looks scruffy while levelling. It makes sense that you don't have matched sets of gear since you are travelling all over the place. I also like that your gear doesn't look crazy. Could you imagine that? Killing some trolls for tusks in STV and then getting something that glows and crackles with power as a reward?
Yes i agree. i also like to look as normal as possible in any MMORPG i play. Nothing flashy and bling but just normal everyday stuff.
Characters in movies also usually have normal stuff to wear and not a mismatch of bright primary/neon colors. Because no matter where they go... they don't cloth themselves with rewards !
28/05/2018 11:13Posted by Kagemoth
Also I think you may be mixing up TBC leveling gear with Vanilla leveling gear. : /
No im not, TBC took it to a whole new level of rediculousness, that is true. But beeing unable create a satisfying look without screwing up your stats has always been a WoW flaw.

And even today Tmog is tightarsed in its approach. The rigidness in separating the class types is annoying and lazy development at best. Tmog is a tacked on afterthought and it shows.
Some time before the announcement of Classic i actually sent an ingame suggestion to Blizzard about this exactly,in other words how they could make Vanilla compelling to all players.Not only i talked about exclusive transmog(like old Naxxramas sets from defeating all raid bosses,Argent Dawn Tabard by getting exalted with the faction,a green version of Defias Mask from Defeating VanCleef etc.) getting imported to retail, but also a title like 'War Veteran' when you hit lvl60, various pets and even an exclusive mount earned by exploring all Azeroth in Classic.That way everyone will eventually try it,both old and new players.So yes i totally agree with OP!I'd definitely do it if I were in charge of the game.
28/05/2018 17:55Posted by Erathiel
That way everyone will eventually try it,both old and new players.

Question is, why do we want all these players? They will have "lol i just need achievement", "need my 335th mount" and "plz let me dat gear for mog set" mentality and ruin the game for normal people that want to enjoy classic. Classic was about community and this move would make it significantly worse.

Also this would make retail players feel "forced" to do stuff (just look at allied races whine - purely optional feature, everybody feels so entitled to have it, because recolored elves or taurens with hooves are so important). They'd whine blizzard "forces" them to play "outdated" game, and want changes, there will be guides online "how to make the classic achievement in only 148 hours", there will be tons of hunters (fast leveling ftw) that only do classic for it, ruining the reputation of people that simply want to play hunter, and tons of other issues.

So no.
I know for certain there won't be Tmog, bye bye haters
28/05/2018 22:09Posted by Frostypop
I know for certain there won't be Tmog, bye bye haters

Did you read OP's post?
28/05/2018 18:32Posted by Trelonicus
28/05/2018 17:55Posted by Erathiel
That way everyone will eventually try it,both old and new players.

Question is, why do we want all these players? They will have "lol i just need achievement", "need my 335th mount" and "plz let me dat gear for mog set" mentality and ruin the game for normal people that want to enjoy classic. Classic was about community and this move would make it significantly worse.

Also this would make retail players feel "forced" to do stuff (just look at allied races whine - purely optional feature, everybody feels so entitled to have it, because recolored elves or taurens with hooves are so important). They'd whine blizzard "forces" them to play "outdated" game, and want changes, there will be guides online "how to make the classic achievement in only 148 hours", there will be tons of hunters (fast leveling ftw) that only do classic for it, ruining the reputation of people that simply want to play hunter, and tons of other issues.

So no.

I can see your point but people may go from 'I just want the mount' to 'this is quite fun'.Besides,the more people you have to play with or against the better. Server population is too important especially if we won't have realm phasing we currently do in retail.As for whining, there will always be some anyways...
I don’t think people are going to level to 60 and get into raiding just so they can get transmog items for their mains in BFA.

Well, I'm people. I'd get into raiding in vanilla just to unlock the vanilla Rhok'Delar version as well as Benediction. One of the most iconic class looks I associate with vanilla is the priest tier 1 and Benediction. I'd level up and do the quest just to be able to t-mog Benediction on this Void Elf.
If someone reaches level 60 in Classic and they manage to obtain some decent gear, at that point they must have ended liking Classic. So I don't see anything wrong with it.
30/05/2018 12:07Posted by Varleen
If someone reaches level 60 in Classic and they manage to obtain some decent gear, at that point they must have ended liking Classic. So I don't see anything wrong with it.

Or they’re addicted to achievements and feel forced to play Vanilla just to attain certain achievements? Do you really think players would go round hugging every damn animal in the world or killing every critter for fun? Or is it because they’re sub conciously looking at achiemements they can grab? Or similarly looking around for all the Lore books?

Sure i find the Lore books interesting and i read them long before achievements were available, but i guarantee a large amount of players only clicked on them for the achievement!
30/05/2018 11:42Posted by Aralesh
I don’t think people are going to level to 60 and get into raiding just so they can get transmog items for their mains in BFA.

Well, I'm people. I'd get into raiding in vanilla just to unlock the vanilla Rhok'Delar version as well as Benediction. One of the most iconic class looks I associate with vanilla is the priest tier 1 and Benediction. I'd level up and do the quest just to be able to t-mog Benediction on this Void Elf.

There is a term for that. Loot 'n Scoot.

Really bad for guilds, especially in Vanilla where gear actually has value and rarity.

hmm, that's a good point.

here's a question though, why would you give rewards in retail for playing classic ? Doesn't really make any sense to me, not that i care "that" much.

shouldn't you get retail rewards.... you know, playing retail ?
Point is, if you really want these mogs to be available on retail... why not ask for them on retail? Have them reimplemented there? Why screw over classic for something you can simply ask for in retail?

And no, having people over that don't even want to play classic but feel like they have to just for the tmogs is not a smart move. It might also mess up payment methods (do you need to buy two games, or...?) as we don't know what those are going to be yet.
30/05/2018 20:36Posted by Cai

here's a question though, why would you give rewards in retail for playing classic ? Doesn't really make any sense to me, not that i care "that" much.

Indeed, it makes zero sense. I don't even know why would guilds give loot to those kind of players that are only looking for Rhok'Delar and Benediction just to t-mog those on Retail, since the very moment they obtain it they'll literally just quit the game.

We don't want these people playing Vanilla. Even if they start liking Classic after playing it, not worth the risk.
31/05/2018 07:46Posted by Keala
We don't want these people playing Vanilla.
That is what i used to think. But then nobody gets to dictate why people play Classic, or any other game for that matter. It borders on xenophobia to filter people like that.

If a person plays simply to reach the end you lose them aswell when they reach their goal, or simply reach lvl 60... doesn't really matter why they started or what their endgoal is.

Linking Classic to Retail in such a way is not completely unheard of since we are talking about the same game in the sense that Classic represents the Vanilla era of retail.

It all depends on what Blizzard intends to do with Classic.

Indeed, it makes zero sense. I don't even know why would guilds give loot to those kind of players that are only looking for Rhok'Delar and Benediction just to t-mog those on Retail, since the very moment they obtain it they'll literally just quit the game.

We don't want these people playing Vanilla. Even if they start liking Classic after playing it, not worth the risk.

What if is a player that never got to do those quests and wants to experience them? It's the very same, except those won't be unlocked in modern. But in the end, the result is the same. Do you want that kind of players out of Classic too? Do you want Classic to be a closed club only for hardcore Classic players and no "inquisitive tourists"?
Indeed, it makes zero sense. I don't even know why would guilds give loot to those kind of players that are only looking for Rhok'Delar and Benediction just to t-mog those on Retail, since the very moment they obtain it they'll literally just quit the game.We don't want these people playing Vanilla. Even if they start liking Classic after playing it, not worth the risk.

well... i wouldn't go so far, i don't see the risk here(because of the massive effort you need to go through to get these items), and like people here have told, it's not up to us to decide why people play the game, aslong as they have paid for it, everyone is welcome.

if they want to lure people to buy classic, a simple pet or mount in retail for the moment you purchase classic should be enough, having reward for other game, while you play the other just would be weird.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Obviously, noone read my suggestion carefully...I NEVER suggested having rewards imported in retail VIA LOOTING them in classic.For example,if you want old Nax set for retail ALL you have to do is manage to clear old Nax with a pug/guild.It would be mayhem if Blizzard encouraged ninja looting just for retail mogs.I specifically talked about cool rewards that are gained by personal feats like maxing a certain rep or exploring map etc!!!Either you like it or not,it's a great idea to motivate people to play both Vanilla(which they will probably enjoy...) and the modern version.
*I'm also the ret pally 'Erathiel' but had to change posting character due to forum bug
31/05/2018 14:45Posted by Leisapra

What if is a player that never got to do those quests and wants to experience them? It's the very same, except those won't be unlocked in modern. But in the end, the result is the same. Do you want that kind of players out of Classic too? Do you want Classic to be a closed club only for hardcore Classic players and no "inquisitive tourists"?

Then that player should wait until every other player has gotten their leaf or eye before they can get it. I don't care what their plan is, but literally no guild would want to give these items (as long as many of the raiders still need them ofc) to a player with only that single goal, be it a casual or hardcore.

If someone wants to play classic and not even try a single raid, he's welcome to do so, and that means he's not a hardcore player. But if that player joins the raid only to obtain these items only to get the t-mog OR experience the quests without telling the guild of his plans, then yes, I want these players out of classic.
01/06/2018 07:02Posted by Keala
If someone wants to play classic and not even try a single raid, he's welcome to do so,
That's bloody descent of you. For a splitsecond i was actually worried the Raid Elite would ban questing !!
and that means he's not a hardcore player.
Because non-elitist endgamers can't be hardcore players ??
then yes, I want these players out of classic.
Imagine them linking everything up to retail and come up with even more stuff to integrate Classic into retail. All the elitist endgamers would leave and we'd have a Hardcore Questing/Dungeoning/Crafting Community.

I have a dream... :P
Let's try to get into the shoes of those people who like current wow, but don't like classic wow. How do you think they would feel about it? Let's use a perspective that you can understand: Imagine if, for example, you had to unlock BG's in classic by doing something in current WoW that you don't like (think about anything you don't like, be it pet battles, arenas, high end raiding, whatever). How would you feel about it? Do you think you would feel better if you were given this explanation? "It is to encourage you to try X in current WoW, you will love it."

It is fine if some people want the looks of those old items for their chars in current WoW, but if it is for current WoW they should be unlocked while playing current WoW, not a different game.