Regarding graphics?

Classic Discussion
1 2 3 14 Next
So, I've been thinking about graphic changes regarding WOW: Classic. I've seen many people, even the ones in favor of #NoChange, are not to rarely want renewed graphics. I wanted to ask what your opinion is on that. Do you want the original graphics and animations or would you want the refurbished ones from current retail WOW?

I personally would prefer the old ones to be honest while I would be in favor of an option to freely choose between the old and the new models and animations. It surely would add some additional Space usage on top of the already existing one but taking into account that Vanilla WOW is really small compared to current WOW, I think it would be not bad at all to add those models.
Didn't we have like 10 of such threads already?

On topic: no changes.
no changes.
I haven't seen any "no changes" people in favour of improved graphics.

No changes is a simple thing to understand. No changes outside of vanilla. That's anything from "improving" the way the game looks, "improving" the way the game is played, or "improving" the way that classes feel.

No changes, no "improvements".
They have already said there will be old graphics
04/07/2018 03:44Posted by Lavenora
They have also said it will be the modern graphic engine. So while it may be the old models and animations, that engine has better lighting, shadows, shaders and improvements like ambient occlusion. Things the purist will most likely be able to turn off, but which will improve rendering for those of us who live in 2018 and not 2004.
04/07/2018 03:44Posted by Lavenora
Actually, they haven't. They have put and advertising for remaking the old graphics, but there has been no official announcement and no explanation of what they are going to do. At this point, the idea of a graphical option between old and modern graphics seems somewhat likely.
04/07/2018 04:56Posted by Leisapra
Actually, they haven't. They have put and advertising for remaking the old graphics, but there has been no official announcement and no explanation of what they are going to do. At this point, the idea of a graphical option between old and modern graphics seems somewhat likely.

"Restore old models and animations"
"Re-implement old shader behaviour"
"Transform database data"
"Build classic UI elements"
"Repackage binary districutions"
"Work closely with artists to revive the classic game elements"

That's Blizzard's job listing, how does any of that suggest the liklihood of "optional graphics toggle"? The closest thing Blizzard have said on the graphics issue is "We're not sure and are paying attention to the community".
No changes
04/07/2018 05:18Posted by Miylee
04/07/2018 04:56Posted by Leisapra

"Restore old models and animations"
"Re-implement old shader behaviour"
"Transform database data"
"Build classic UI elements"
"Repackage binary districutions"
"Work closely with artists to revive the classic game elements"

That's Blizzard's job listing, how does any of that suggest the liklihood of "optional graphics toggle"? The closest thing Blizzard have said on the graphics issue is "We're not sure and are paying attention to the community".

To me, the fact they haven't made an official announcement in regards to graphics means they are still thinking of what they are going to do. I'm hoping that, since is the same client, they are going to implement the option in both Classic and modern. But probably it won't be as simple as an in-game togge but an option that requires you to re-start the client.
04/07/2018 14:13Posted by Leisapra

To me, the fact they haven't made an official announcement in regards to graphics means they are still thinking of what they are going to do. I'm hoping that, since is the same client, they are going to implement the option in both Classic and modern. But probably it won't be as simple as an in-game togge but an option that requires you to re-start the client.

In an interview, Blizzard have said that they're unsure as to whether they want to update the graphics or to keep them as they were, given their stance and the community feedback; I think old models and graphics are much more likely.

On point; this job opening to me simply says that they're trying to re-create the old models, but in a way so that they work better on a new engine.
04/07/2018 17:27Posted by Miylee

In an interview, Blizzard have said that they're unsure as to whether they want to update the graphics or to keep them as they were, given their stance and the community feedback; I think old models and graphics are much more likely.

On point; this job opening to me simply says that they're trying to re-create the old models, but in a way so that they work better on a new engine.

That's why I say an option is a solomonic solution. Besides, if they introduce it they can make so it works also in BfA. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will like to use the real old models in modern WoW.
03/07/2018 21:00Posted by Xion
So, I've been thinking about graphic changes regarding WOW: Classic. I've seen many people, even the ones in favor of #NoChange, are not to rarely want renewed graphics. I wanted to ask what your opinion is on that. Do you want the original graphics and animations or would you want the refurbished ones from current retail WOW?

I personally would prefer the old ones to be honest while I would be in favor of an option to freely choose between the old and the new models and animations. It surely would add some additional Space usage on top of the already existing one but taking into account that Vanilla WOW is really small compared to current WOW, I think it would be not bad at all to add those models.

Don't be deafened by the vocal minority who frequent this forum like it's their job. There are people who agree with you that an option to change between the two would be ideal.

I've yet to see a good argument against having the option in graphical settings - it doesn't effect those who don't want more modern graphics on. Most games give you options when it comes to graphics, and if Classic still defaults to the old graphics and allows people to stick to them whenever they want, then there really is no issue.
04/07/2018 19:27Posted by Tiptup

Don't be deafened by the vocal minority who frequent this forum like it's their job.

I don't think you know what "volcal minority" means. Here's a hint; you're the minority, and you're vocal and incredibly aggressive.

There are people who agree with you that an option to change between the two would be ideal.

There are also people that think the Vanilla server should have pandas, worgens, goblins, death knights, monks, draenei and blood elves, and should also be called "mists of pandaria".

Irrelevant.

I've yet to see a good argument against having the option in graphical settings - it doesn't effect those who don't want more modern graphics on. Most games give you options when it comes to graphics, and if Classic still defaults to the old graphics and allows people to stick to them whenever they want, then there really is no issue.

Then you haven't bothered reading anything that anybody has said. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it isn't a good reason.
In essence, I'm against a toggle option, because I don't see why it would be needed. The old graphics and models were part of the game. Wanting the old game back yet also in updated graphics and with new models, seems contradictory. But that is my opinion of course and I understand others will feel differently.

My main concern is that Blizzard will not get it right. But I have no technical knowledge. What I would like is for somebody with actual knowlegde on the matter explain to me like I'm five whether implementing a full toggle option (graphics, models, animations, etc.) is doable and whether it would truly have no effect whatsoever on the other side. Anybody got an idea?
We should be able to have the game look as closely as possible to the original game. But I think an option for updated graphics would be good. I think a lot of people are looking for a high quality MMORPG and will be much easier to draw in with HD graphics.

Anyone who prefers the original look can just not activate HD in the graphics menu.
04/07/2018 20:17Posted by Hedhel
In essence, I'm against a toggle option, because I don't see why it would be needed. The old graphics and models were part of the game. Wanting the old game back yet also in updated graphics and with new models, seems contradictory. But that is my opinion of course and I understand others will feel differently.

Well, you see, polygon graphics tend to age poorly, even worse than 2D sprites. Many old models are quite unappealing, just look at chickens (EUGH!).

Also, it's not uncommon in videogames to have graphical enhanced remakes that keep the gameplay intact. Just look at Super Mario Bros 3, a lot of people would rather play the 16 bits remake than the original one.

However, I think that they can't and shouldn't force the new graphics. In fact, I'm happy they decided to re-create the old ones so people who preffer that style are pleased.
I’m personally hoping they will be able to reproduce some of the old effects that no longer exist, such as full screen glow or the old antialiasing.
I want a toggle box in the graphics options; "classic models", "Updated (High Res)Models" and "Classic Textures", "Updated (High Res) Textures".
I try to think of "Wow Classic" as a remaster, the bugs that prevailed though that iteration of the game will be fixed as well as making the game more modern and appealing in terms of graphical fidelity.
No toggle please, it might ruin the old models. I want my old models so badly and all that. I cant stand how i look and run in legion. So Classic is saving grace for me