No True Fullscreen Option in BfA

General
I'm so happy I didn't buy BfA xpac yet, with this change I'll have to stop playing wow.
What a ridiculous change!!
Srsly Blizz, I can forgive the lack of changes for mages, but I can't forgive on messing with the actual ability to play wow without hardware issues that this non fullscreen option will cause me.
I've just read on US forums that this is just the consequence of using DX12. DX12 simply doesn't have normal fullscreen option so if they wanna move forward they can't have it anymore.
What is the alternative to true fullscreen? It better not be windowed full screen cause I hate that mode.
whats wrong with windowed full screen ? lol

I've been using it for all games, esp for streaming
06/07/2018 02:21Posted by Bukachu
whats wrong with windowed full screen ? lol

I've been using it for all games, esp for streaming

It's not how I want to play games. I want proper full screen. I've always played every game in proper full screen.
Doesn't bother me. Hate how long it takes to tab out on proper full screen so I have never used it.

It's certainly a shame for those who did though. Oh well, you'll have to adapt.
I'm so happy I didn't buy BfA xpac yet, with this change I'll have to stop playing wow.
What a ridiculous change!!
Srsly Blizz, I can forgive the lack of changes for mages, but I can't forgive on messing with the actual ability to play wow without hardware issues that this non fullscreen option will cause me.

If your pc cannot run windowed fullscreen you dont have to worry buying BFA and might aswell start getting a job and get better PC instead of worrying jeeez
06/07/2018 02:19Posted by Kooki
What is the alternative to true fullscreen? It better not be windowed full screen cause I hate that mode.

why?
06/07/2018 05:12Posted by Heyladies
why?

If you have large monitor, its annoying to alt-tab and see game in background. Probably not an issue for people with small monitors, but at 27" it is a big issue.

Also there is GPU cooling issue. In current WoW when I alt-tab I can hear GPU ventilator taking a small break. On beta its not happening. That's an issue for me because damn coin farmers bought all decent graphic cards, so the only choice left was "turbo" version that has only 1 ventilator and I was lucky to be able to get even that.
I've just seen this too.

Supposedly it's something to do with DX12, I'm still on Windows 7, because I'll downgrade to Windows 10 at the absolute last minute, so I'm still on DX11. However, I hear they're removing it for DX11 too... why?

What the hell has happened to Blizzard? I know optimisation of their games was never top of the list of priorities, but taking away fullscreen from DX11 is just stupid. Seriously.

I have a decent PC (GTX1080, i7 4790k), I'll lose about 10fps (just tested between fullscreen and windowed fullscreen a minute ago), because I'm still on Windows 7, in a game that can have its issues with performance because WoW has always ran badly. The resources are there, WoW just doesn't make use of them. It'll still be playable for me, but what about people with weaker PCs? That performance loss could cripple their ability to play, but it appears that Blizzard doesn't care about that.

All that money and they still aren't hiring good developers. For shame.
06/07/2018 07:19Posted by Goc
What the hell has happened to Blizzard? I know optimisation of their games was never top of the list of priorities, but taking away fullscreen from DX11 is just stupid.
Seriously.

It's sort of out of their hands.

Microsoft are going to phase out support for DX11 in a year or two, so everything that wants to run on Windows pretty much has to move to DX12. Remember, DX11 is like a decade old, so the transition is well overdue.

Blizzard are probably choosing to move WoW to DX12 with the release of BfA, because it's better to do it with a new expansion release, rather than ending up having to rush it in during an on-going expansion.

At least this way players can prepare for it better.
06/07/2018 07:02Posted by Zim
If you have large monitor, its annoying to alt-tab and see game in background. Probably not an issue for people with small monitors, but at 27" it is a big issue.

No, it isn't. Been using windowed fullscreen since 2005, and I've never had an issue regardless of screen size.
06/07/2018 09:15Posted by Karin
No, it isn't. Been using windowed fullscreen since 2005, and I've never had an issue regardless of screen size.

Are you playing with 2560 x 1440 resolution or lower? I bet its lower.

So you are missing entire point of my post. Its not about tiny screens, its about big ones. On big screen browser window isn't maximized. Entire point of big screen is to fit many application windows and see them all at the same time. That means part of background is always visible.

Issue I mentioned applies only to big displays that use large resolution. Not your typical laptop.

So instead of alt-tab, use win-d
06/07/2018 09:57Posted by Shumensko

So instead of alt-tab, use win-d

Oh, that's nice. Tested it, works. Didn't know it would work in fullscreen mode. Thanks!
Oh no, can't play in fullscreen, what a nightmare. XD
I used to play in fullscreen, but noticed before I had 2 monitors how annoying it was to tab out, at times, and it lagged big time, if I even manged to tab out, now I go windowed fullscreen at it is way better.
I've used windowed full screen for years now, much better.

My only complaint is that whenever I play WoW it always causes videos I'm watching on my second screen to go out of sync with the sound. Doesn't matter if it's Netflix or a media player.

No other game causes this, only WoW
I almost always use windowed, because I'm left handed, use alt modifier for keybinds, and sometimes I used to hit win button instead of alt. Had some wipes happen because of this(it takes a couple of seconds to alt-tab back to game).
I play on a WQHD 27" screen in an appropriate resolution and would never concider Fullscreen over Windowed Fullscreen.

If your PC struggles with WoW in that mode I seriously feel bad for you (actually in all honesty sucks). However technology moves on and people need to stop trying to stick with their old stuff forever. Yes it is a financial topic and not everyone can affort buying a new PC every year, but upgrading with last gen hardware every few years works just fine)

I work at a company that builds network devices and people are hanging to ISDN like it is the !@#$ (same reasoning btw.... upgrading is too expensive)... it's a pain as a company to try to stay so far downward compatible forever. And in this case Blizzard doesn't even seem to act out of their own cost efficency they just adjust to what others are changing.