Necromancer Class

General
Since the start of WoW from classic, the idea of playing a dark mage wielding magic to raise the dead and use their necromantic magic against their enemies was supposed to be an implemented class. However Blizzard soon rejected the idea but later bought up the concept in WOTLK via the unholy dk. However I feel that a warrior cladded in plated doing melee damage instead of range doesn't do the class justice and I wish to place down some ideas for the class to be potentially implemented.

Specializations:

Soul: Healing Spec - The spec focuses on the classic healing like most classes, including AoE, self-heals etc but also includes a small bit of DPS, similar to the disipline priest.

Plague: DoT DPS Spec - A DoT DPS spec that uses curses, plague spells as well as frost and necrotic spells that deal base damage.

Reanimation: Minion based DPS Spec - A more focused minion spec like demonology but with the undead, it focuses on the aspect of controling multiple undead minions against your enemies.

Armor: Cloth

Type: Normal/Hero?

Starting Zone: Scholomance/Caer Darrow

I ran out of ideas...
This has been discussed thousands of times before. Blizzard simply won't do it as long as Unholy DK exists. What you described is basically a cloth wearing Unholy DK with a weird healing spec that doesn't make any sense thematically.

Necromancer also clashes with Warlock in many ways. The archetype of a dark caster who summons minions is already fulfilled by Demonology while the archetype of a dark caster who deals damage over time with curses is fulfilled by Affliction. I am well aware of the fact that they use different types of magic (i.e. Fel vs Necrotic) but it's not enough to give them unique identities. Gameplay wise, Necromancer would simply be a reskinned Demonology warlock with some Unholy DK mixed in here and there.

Necromancers are also not diverse enough in their theme to have different specs. Especially not a healing spec.

There is also a problem with the lore. While Death Knights left Lich King's service to join their respective factions, Necromancers didn't. They aren't mindless undead either, who would follow the new "good" LK. Necromancers are geniunely evil and destructive people who wouldn't collaborate with the Alliance or the Horde and would instead seek to end their rule.

The perfect time to introduce Necromancer was during the WotLK expansion. Blizzard saw the inconsistencies and lack of material regarding the class and instead chose to go with the DK. It was the right decision.
I don't think they will make new hero classes have 2 dps speccs.
The way I would like necromancers would be:
Cloth Hero class.
Sort of mix the fantasy of soulbinder and blood mage with the necromancer.
Control souls, skeletons and blood.

Healing specc would be sort of like blood death knights.
Using blood to heal and bones to shield the target. But maybe also be the first healer to have a permanent pet to assist? Like a banshee that protects against spells or a skeleton that will jump in and absorb a hit then turn into a pile of bones before putting itself back together.

DPS specc would obviously have skeletons, basicly binding souls to the skeletons. Maybe shoot bone lances like diablo necromancers? maybe alternating between blood and soul spells, like balance sort of?

spell colours would be blood red and sort of blue/teal for soul. These colours would make the spells stand out from the other casters.

The pets would be different from DKs by having the skeletons be bound with souls so they would have a blue/teal glow kinda like the skeletons in the WotLK cinematic video. DKs pets are just mindless undead.

We would probably need to take warlocks Drain Soul which will probably cause a riot after they lost spells to both DK and DH... But I feel many play warlock to role play as necromancer. Warlocks seem to be moving more towards Shadowbolt as a standard anyway and you have to specc into drain soul now. They could probably just put drain souls function into drain life and it would be no problem for warlocks.

And by making them a mix between blood mage, soulbinder and necromancer we can make them kinda neutral when it comes to good and bad. Which is needed to let them join the alliance, for the horde it doesn't matter since Sylvanas would happily add them to her ranks.

The necromancer can actually be very cool and unique if they expand on the idea and not just get stuck on warlock with dk disease and pet.
17/07/2018 04:29Posted by Ulfrahn
This has been discussed thousands of times before. Blizzard simply won't do it as long as Unholy DK exists. What you described is basically a cloth wearing Unholy DK with a weird healing spec that doesn't make any sense thematically.

Necromancer also clashes with Warlock in many ways. The archetype of a dark caster who summons minions is already fulfilled by Demonology while the archetype of a dark caster who deals damage over time with curses is fulfilled by Affliction. I am well aware of the fact that they use different types of magic (i.e. Fel vs Necrotic) but it's not enough to give them unique identities. Gameplay wise, Necromancer would simply be a reskinned Demonology warlock with some Unholy DK mixed in here and there.

Necromancers are also not diverse enough in their theme to have different specs. Especially not a healing spec.

There is also a problem with the lore. While Death Knights left Lich King's service to join their respective factions, Necromancers didn't. They aren't mindless undead either, who would follow the new "good" LK. Necromancers are geniunely evil and destructive people who wouldn't collaborate with the Alliance or the Horde and would instead seek to end their rule.

The perfect time to introduce Necromancer was during the WotLK expansion. Blizzard saw the inconsistencies and lack of material regarding the class and instead chose to go with the DK. It was the right decision.

Well that is if you go with the traditional Necromancer. Death knights are not really how they were in Warcraft 3.
We see more and more blood users in WoW. We have the San'layn, Bleeding hollow clan and now the Blood trolls. Blood have been used to raise dead etc and could very well work with the necromancer theme. Souls are also a common theme among necromancers. So if we move away from the legion/scourge necromancers we can actually make a very unique class that can fill both the necromancer and blood mage fantasy.
Judging by how they handled the necromancer in diablo 3 I'd rather see them stay away from that class. They should focus on the classes we have right now and get them to work better instead of removing abilities every expansion and calling it fun.
17/07/2018 05:39Posted by Pig
Judging by how they handled the necromancer in diablo 3 I'd rather see them stay away from that class. They should focus on the classes we have right now and get them to work better instead of removing abilities every expansion and calling it fun.

What do you have against bone artillery?
If there's going to be a new class in the expansion after BfA, it should be a 'mail armor' class, just for balance sake.

For me personally preferably a tinker.
Necromancers could and should wear mail.

And there are many specs to pick up from The Scourge, Shadow arts and blood magic. Enough to make Necromancers their own thing, instead of dismantling already existing classes.

We have combos already with Palas/Priests, Warlocks/Demon Hunters, and this point, I don't understand, nor will accept, this childish hate towards Necromancer.

There is no reason to NOT add it to the game. And at this point, y'all just want to mixture your blind hate towards this lovable class, and you don't know how.

Let us have our way, our joy, our love, as your light loving corrupted sons of a murloc have with your paladins and priests and nonsense.
Not gonna happen... There is a higher chance for high elf as allied race than necromancer as heroic class.
I do hope they add the class and half warlock abilities go to it because my bars are always full and it's very hard to keep up at times it would be great if that happened, truly
keeping my fingers crossed
Too much overlap with both Unholy DK and Demo Lock.
Which is unfortunate because Necromancers are awesome.
I can still hear the Iron Maiden spell in my head from Diablo 2's Necro.
Given how necromancer works in Guild Wars 2 it seems to be exactly like what the warlock is except your pet is a corpse instead of a demon. Just add glyphs that turn the pets into undead things or something. What exactly else could a necromancer do that's different? Even in Guild Wars 2 the necro puts marks on the floor much like death and decay. So waht can it offer that isn't a warlock or a DK?
We already have enough necromancers on the forums anyway.
17/07/2018 11:45Posted by Accelero
I do hope they add the class and half warlock abilities go to it because my bars are always full and it's very hard to keep up at times it would be great if that happened, truly
keeping my fingers crossed

YES ! MORE CLASSES ! MOOOORRRHHESS ! MUAHAHAHA....
17/07/2018 05:00Posted by Kranken
Death knights are not really how they were in Warcraft 3.

Well, it'd be hard to create an entire class around Death Coil, Unholy Aura, Death Pact and Animate Dead.
17/07/2018 14:18Posted by Fishermán

Well, it'd be hard to create an entire class around Death Coil, Unholy Aura, Death Pact and Animate Dead.

They can make a new 4-buttons ranged spec tho... Frost will have competition.
I might get stoned for mentioning such unholy (hehe) ideas but... what about a necromancer-like spec for warlocks? Like, a little less shadow and a little more corpse-oriented? They already have abilities dealing with souls so it's not a very far stretch, kinda like a "soul master" spec. Not entirely necromancy but fiddling around with life essences, having a teal-ish color scheme, trapping souls and using them as their minions for a short period of time (kinda like enslave demon).
17/07/2018 14:18Posted by Fishermán

I know, that's my point. They took the core from the wc3 death knight and then picked fantasy parts from liches and runemasters.
This is why I want people to be more open about the concept of necromancers. It doesn't have to be the old horde necrolytes etc.
We have more characters in WoW that deal with the dead but in different ways.
we have the blood trolls which uses blood magic and raises undeads.
And we have the soulbinders both in draenor and the vrykul.

You can make necromancers different from warlocks by using blood magic and soul magic based on the shadowlands instead of the demonic corruption and soultwisting the warlocks practice. The trolls have necromancer types that are very different from warlocks.

So lets take a different approach with WoW necromancer to make them unique compared to warlocks and shadow priests.
If you are so open about concept of necromancers then roll uh dk, pretend that you are not only a necromancer but THE Necromcer and stop wasting our time /lol
17/07/2018 15:41Posted by Cobrana
I might get stoned for mentioning such unholy (hehe) ideas but... what about a necromancer-like spec for warlocks? Like, a little less shadow and a little more corpse-oriented? They already have abilities dealing with souls so it's not a very far stretch, kinda like a "soul master" spec. Not entirely necromancy but fiddling around with life essences, having a teal-ish color scheme, trapping souls and using them as their minions for a short period of time (kinda like enslave demon).

I guess they could rework Affliction to be more necromancer-like. But I think that might upset warlocks that like the demonic affliction warlocks. Many got upset about survival hunters going melee, because survival was filling the tinker type alittle with explosive projectiles etc.
Giving a forth dps specc to a class that already have 3 speccs that are spellcasting dps would be a waste imo.